MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Do you work from home?  My mom has is 85 and has been going to the grocery store regularly.  She says what else is there to do other thank taking her daily walks.   I told her to get 2 weeks supply but she seems to not care too much about the whole thing.  She is like whatever happens happens.  

My 91 year old dad has the same attitude. It’s driving me nuts. 

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I am fine with this. I have only done these things for the last 3 weeks anyway.  Grocery and exercise.  I was upset when I thought we couldn't exercise.  This weekend was pretty bad with the weather being what it is.  

Nothing has really changed from the previous order. It just makes disobeying it a criminal offense.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Sweden hasn't shut schools down or much of anything.  They think that if you shutdown things you will end up with the same outcome as if you didn't.   You just will have less now and much more later.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/as-the-rest-of-europe-lives-under-lockdown-sweden-keeps-calm-and-carries-on

It will be very interesting to see how different strategies worked in different countries.    Bottom line, if we had sufficient hospital beds, ventilators, masks, etc. the “get it over with” approach might be defensible.    Maybe Sweden thinks they do.    But we don’t, so part of our strategy is to stretch this out and stall for time while we get our medical act together.    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It will be very interesting to see how different strategies worked in different countries.    Bottom line, if we had sufficient hospital beds, ventilators, masks, etc. the “get it over with” approach might be defensible.    Maybe Sweden thinks they do.    But we don’t, so part of our strategy is to stretch this out and stall for time while we get our medical act together.    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.   

England was going to do the thinning the herd idea but got flak.That way you have more immune people.

Germany is doing pretty good so far and in a few weeks  out the people who had the virus and  are now healthy to slowly go back to work since they are immune.Some they want to maybe help out  with the grocery shopping and help out with the most vulnerable groups.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

At least we have Belarus as a control group.  Their nutty dictator is telling them to continue on like nothing is happening.  Their soccer league is the only one playing games - I have an app with all the world's soccer league scores and it's hundreds of cancellations, and then the Belarussian Premier League.  Apparently they're signing all kinds of new media deals to broadcast matches since they're literally the only game on Earth.  I say we all become FC Slutsk fans.

• Like 1

We need to bend the curve like South Korea. New article suggests what we are doing is starting to work. But data comes from tracking you and everyone else. But  this data helps right now. 

Good news! #PhysicalDistancing appears to be slowing #coronavirus infections. Hi-tech thermometer firm

says daily fever readings show that fevers declined with #StayHome measures. Fevers tend to come BEFORE new #COVID19 cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-restrictions-fevers.html?referringSource=articleShare

17 hours ago, atomic said:

Sweden hasn't shut schools down or much of anything.  They think that if you shutdown things you will end up with the same outcome as if you didn't.   You just will have less now and much more later.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/as-the-rest-of-europe-lives-under-lockdown-sweden-keeps-calm-and-carries-on

Mexico, with experience from the Swine Flu, is taking a similar approach.  
They have tested 65/million compared to 2250/million in the United States.

Pretty good article in the Washington Post about it with explanations from its Coronavirus czar.

16 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Nothing has really changed from the previous order. It just makes disobeying it a criminal offense.

I don't understand how the governor can make a criminal offense punishable by jail time without legislative approval.  This seems like a very bad idea. I am not against the punishment per see but you start to get into losing rights as a society and one person making the rules you have a dictatorship.  People are really not thinking of the broad implications of such actions.   A state of emergency should not mean that the rules of our government are totally broken. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't understand how the governor can make a criminal offense punishable by jail time without legislative approval.  This seems like a very bad idea. I am not against the punishment per see but you start to get into losing rights as a society and one person making the rules you have a dictatorship.  People are really not thinking of the broad implications of such actions.   A state of emergency should not mean that the rules of our government are totally broken. 

States of Emergency have always given chief executives lots of power. The historical example that always gets brought up in this debate is Lincoln suspending habeas corpus. 

It's also something the Framers of the Constitution struggled with. How do you create a chief executive who has the power to do what is necessary, quickly, in a crisis - while also not creating a king? It's really one of the biggest conflicts within any democracy - but, in my opinion, our democracy has done an amazing job navigating that the past 243 years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Please don't mention politicians that are in disagreement. Mention of orders that involve the baseball world are acceptable. But not for debate on this site. 

Sorry. I thought it was borderline as related to the scope of testing which affects knowing how deadly the disease is and how long this will last.  

Also it is interesting that so many NBA players have tested positive.  And I haven't heard of any MLB players testing positive. This might be because the NBA is doing testing on their own.   It seems hard to believe no MLB players have contacted the virus yet. 

49 minutes ago, atomic said:

Sorry. I thought it was borderline as related to the scope of testing which affects knowing how deadly the disease is and how long this will last.  

Also it is interesting that so many NBA players have tested positive.  And I haven't heard of any MLB players testing positive. This might be because the NBA is doing testing on their own.   It seems hard to believe no MLB players have contacted the virus yet. 

Mad Max agrees.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nationals/max-scherzer-says-it-would-be-naive-think-mlb-player-doesnt-have-coronavirus

Interesting map :can change but the lockdown is having some effects. California looking a little better and Florida looking bad right now.

Current map of “atypical” fevers—compared to the norm that occur this time of year (it’s flu season).

Red circle

RED = high amount of “atypical” fevers since March 1. #Florida still NOT on #lockdown.

Yellow circle

YELLOW = low amount of atypical fevers. Look at #California!

Here’s the 7-day trend in DECLINING rate of “atypical” fevers, per

?

RED = increasing, happening NOWHERE in the US.

?

BLUE = decreasing (darker is better), happening EVERYWHERE in *every* county!

?

• Thanks 2