What impact does coronavirus have on the draft?

ThomasTomasz

On 3/19/2020 at 8:22 AM, Redskins Rick said:

ZB had also almost pitched his way out of the big leagues, because he was so inconsistent.

hoosiers is talking about Britton’s senior year in high school.    You are talking about  5-8 years later.    

I think Britton’s history is more complicated.    He had a very good first couple months in 2011 as a major league starting pitcher, then he hurt his shoulder and was never as effective as a starter again.   Then in 2014 he was converted to a reliever full time and Wallace and Chiti worked with him all spring on honing his command of the sinker low in the zone.    As you say, he perfected it and became a great reliever.    Interestingly, last year he started using his secondary pitches more, to excellent effect.    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zack-britton-isnt-a-one-pitch-pitcher-anymore/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I am with you on this.   This is what Elias does.   Like O'Hearn.   Elias signs Rivera for about 1M, and brings him to ST.    If there is not room for him on the roster on OD Elias DFAs him and tries to get him through waivers to play at AAA.    Then he is available whenever the injuries occur.   I could see Elias doing the same thing with Bowman.
    • I think the Orioles will tender him arbitration. Before anyone gets too worked over this possibility, keep in mind we also reached an Arb-1 deal with Sam Hilliard last year. Despite the gold glove, Rivera is a better defender than Ramon, but Urias is the better hitter and superior overall player.  However, Urias will also cost more and could bring back more in a trade.   Further, Urias could get injured at some point.  If Urias is injured in spring training, then yes “something went wrong to cause Rivera to be on the OD roster”, but it will still be good to have this depth.
    • I’ve watched enough baseball to know that any team that makes the playoffs can get hot and do well once the postseason begins.  I’m not optimistic about the playoffs, but it also wouldn’t shock me if the O’s made some noise.  It’s a matter of getting the pitching and hitting on the same page.  
    • ha! I didnt say it WOULD all come together,THATS a jinx,I said they MIGHT all come together...that doesnt qualify as a jinx...
    • Mayo would likely need to be optioned when Westburg/Urias/Mountcastle return.  By doing it today instead of tomorrow or Tuesday, Mayo’s 10-day minimum option length will be over in time for him to be eligible for wildcard series.  On the other hand, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where Mayo makes the postseason roster unless there is an injury (in which case there would be an exception to the 10-day rule).
    • Why would he want to?
    • Rivera on this club next year would be a step back. He can’t sniff Ramon’s jock. If he’s back on this roster to start the season, something went wrong.
  • Popular Contributors