How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As long as they are paying through the nose for it I'm fine with it.  The amount of tests being used for this sort of thing is negligible on a national level and if they are paying a premium for the service that money can be leverage for more value than the tests possess. 

Corn, factually, you are absolutely correct. Negligible on a national level.

It just bugs the heck of me, people with money can get and do just about anything, and at times at the expense of Joe Blow public.

Tired of quarantining in your 20 million dollar pad in Malibu, just in your private jet and fly to Idado to your 500 acre family compound. Want to exercise, walk to your own private gym, or take a dip in your own private indoor pool.

LOL, I guess I should have posted in this in RANTS lol

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Corn, factually, you are absolutely correct. Negligible on a national level.

It just bugs the heck of me, people with money can get and do just about anything, and at times at the expense of Joe Blow public.

Tired of quarantining in your 20 million dollar pad in Malibu, just in your private jet and fly to Idado to your 500 acre family compound. Want to exercise, walk to your own private gym, or take a dip in your own private indoor pool.

LOL, I guess I should have posted in this in RANTS lol

When the NBA first started testing people it was not negligible. They tested the whole Jazz organization.  I think one day half the test in the country were by the NBA.  Just think of the doctors and nurses who had to go to work sick because they couldn't get a test and then latter died.  When young healthy NBA players could just self-quarantine at home. 

Orioles could be in the playoffs with one of the plans but so would everyone else. 

Long article but some of the highlights:

Finalize a plan in May. Hash out an agreement with the players by the end of the month or early June. Give players a week to arrive at designated spring training locations. Prepare for three weeks. Start the season in July. Play around an 80- to 100-game season in July, August, September and October. Hold an expanded playoff at warm-weather, neutral sites in November.

Consider a three-hub plan in a 100-game season. In July and August, with 10 teams at each hub, every team plays two three-game series against all nine opponents. That's 54 games. With travel practically nonexistent -- Phoenix, Dallas and Tampa each have five stadiums within an hour radius -- that sort of schedule is eminently doable. It also offers the ability to reassess the status of the country come September. If more states are confident they can house teams, perhaps the number of hubs grows -- or teams simply go home altogether.

That's a best-case scenario. If a second wave of the coronavirus arrives and threatens to shut down the country again, MLB could try to wait it out and just hold a giant playoff.

When I said they're considering everything, I meant everything. Everyone wants the closest thing to a 162-game schedule. The absence of that or anything resembling it, however, doesn't necessarily preclude something truly imaginative from taking place.

"Give us 60 days," one official said, "and we could run an amazing tournament."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29101917/passan-20-questions-there-mlb-2020-just-matter-where-how

Sounds like ESPN is going to broadcast KBO games after all.  Games are scheduled to begin on May 5th.   Probably not MLB quality more like Orioles quality with guys like Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson there. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

Sounds like ESPN is going to broadcast KBO games after all.  Games are scheduled to begin on May 5th.   Probably not MLB quality more like Orioles quality with guys like Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson there. 

That's great.  It's always good to get American eyes on how other countries play baseball.  Might open some folks up to new ways of doing things.  Coaches in other countries don't always share American truths, and that's good.  Nobody has told them what they're doing is wrong, it just is, and it works.

The quality won't quite be MLB quality, but I think you'll find that it's still good, fun baseball.  This is basically the level MLB was just before WWII, and nobody complained.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's great.  It's always good to get American eyes on how other countries play baseball.  Might open some folks up to new ways of doing things.  Coaches in other countries don't always share American truths, and that's good.  Nobody has told them what they're doing is wrong, it just is, and it works.

The quality won't quite be MLB quality, but I think you'll find that it's still good, fun baseball.  This is basically the level MLB was just before WWII, and nobody complained.

Im sure there was complainers, lord knows my granddaddy and my uncles along with my father could argue and complain about sports. :)

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im sure there was complainers, lord knows my granddaddy and my uncles along with my father could argue and complain about sports. :)

I should have phrased differently.  You can find quotes from 1880s from oldtimers who couldn't believe what greedy, lazy kind of people passed for ballplayers then compared to the halcyon days of the 1850s and 1860s.  So I'm sure there were guys like Ty Cobb who bitterly lamented what low states the game had fallen to in 1938.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I should have phrased differently.  You can find quotes from 1880s from oldtimers who couldn't believe what greedy, lazy kind of people passed for ballplayers then compared to the halcyon days of the 1850s and 1860s.  So I'm sure there were guys like Ty Cobb who bitterly lamented what low states the game had fallen to in 1938.

Yeah, they were incensed with the money Marris got, and nobody was worth that kind of money.

Nobody could call guys like Ted Williams lazy, he did his military service with honor and not just as flag bearers.

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yeah, they were incensed with the money Marris got, and nobody was worth that kind of money.

Nobody could call guys like Ted Williams lazy, he did his military service with honor and not just as flag bearers.

Not that you're defending this, but you could have just said "math".  In '61 the Yanks drew 1.7M fans.  Let's say they pulled down $3 a ticket once you figure in hot dog sales and programs and beer and the like.  That's revenues of $5M.  They probably also made a little bit off radio and TV. 

Roger Maris' peak salary was $75,000 a year.  In '61 Maris made $32k, Whitey made $36k, and the great Mickey Mantle $70k.  The Yanks' total payroll was probably around $500k.  Maybe $750k on the outside.

Player payroll was probably <15% of Yankee revenues back then.

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not that you're defending this, but you could have just said "math".  In '61 the Yanks drew 1.7M fans.  Let's say they pulled down $3 a ticket once you figure in hot dog sales and programs and beer and the like.  That's revenues of $5M.  They probably also made a little bit off radio and TV. 

Roger Maris' peak salary was $75,000 a year.  In '61 Maris made $32k, Whitey made $36k, and the great Mickey Mantle $70k.  The Yanks' total payroll was probably around $500k.  Maybe $750k on the outside.

Player payroll was probably <15% of Yankee revenues back then.

At the time I was way too young to have a stake in either side, just sat back and watch how hard they could argue....it was funny to me.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Too late.Already posted.

How many players and family can stay in your mansion?

I'm actually really enjoying this social distancing thing.

I'll think I'll continue to stay at least six feet away from others when all this settles down.

• Upvote 1