How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

25 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why hasn't everyone aware of the Homeland Security Research that showed that the virus dies within 10 seconds after exposure to sunlight

The research was done by our very own Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab by people I know and know  do great work

The virus is not going to be spread by joggers running outside, nor by folks sitting  in the sun on a beach.

This isn't the bubonic plague, or anthrax, or small pox, or Ebola.... it is a flu virus more deadly to the old and morbidly obese, perhaps less deadly to the young and healthy than other recent Corona viruses.

For those under 24 the flu has killed more than Coronavirus in the last 2 months yet schools are closed. 

When I was in Japan a few years ago, I off handedly said that I was feeling kind of tired. My friend’s  wife looked at me askance. When I saw her later in the day she had gone to the store and bought me an assortment of masks. She apologized because they were out of the super fancy kind with the menthol smoother insert. For the next month I wore a mask everywhere, mostly because when I didn’t my friend’s wife looked at me like I was a barbarian.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why hasn't everyone aware of the Homeland Security Research that showed that the virus dies within 10 seconds after exposure to sunlight

The research was done by our very own Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab by people I know and know  do great work

The virus is not going to be spread by joggers running outside, nor by folks sitting  in the sun on a beach.

This isn't the bubonic plague, or anthrax, or small pox, or Ebola.... it is a flu virus more deadly to the old and morbidly obese, perhaps less deadly to the young and healthy than other recent Corona viruses.

Exactly. Study in Wuhan of 3000 cases, only 1 due to outdoor transmission, and that was likely through sustained contact. I am convinced the whole mask thing is just for people to feel like they are doing something. I will start wearing mine outside just as a courtesy because I dont want people to feel unsafe on my account, but because I think they are doing anything. Biggest issue is people focused on the mask are missing the forest through the trees. The focus needs to be on mass testing. Until we have that, there is no real safety. 

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly. Study in Wuhan of 3000 cases, only 1 due to outdoor transmission, and that was likely through sustained contact. I am convinced the whole mask thing is just for people to feel like they are doing something. I will start wearing mine outside just as a courtesy because I dont want people to feel unsafe on my account, but because I think they are doing anything. Biggest issue is people focused on the mask are missing the forest through the trees. The focus needs to be on mass testing. Until we have that, there is no real safety. 

If a chunk of people cant be bothered to wear a mask when they go to the grocery store, I am dubious that they are voluntarily going to submit to get tested. Particularly if they have to pay for it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If you believe Wuhan data the death rate was 5.8 percent but it appears actual numbers are closer to 1 percent.  With this going around as long as it has you would think we could have other sources than Wuhan.  

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You believe the WUHAN story is accurate?

Given that the Chinese government controls 100% of their media and reporting.

I dont trust anything they said.

The mask is supposed to prevent you from spraying droplets of very contagious virus to others. Even healthy people can carry it and transmit it to others.

So who knows how many people they come in contract with in a 2 week period.

Look back at 1918. People felt safe and tired of the mask, and thought the spanish flu had passed, but it hadnt and so many more people died.

I would like to think, we can take a lessons learned and not repeat past society miscues.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wish there was something that we could discuss.

Limbo land waiting for the slow wheels of the MLB to pounder.

There is! MLB and MLPA oficially begin discussions about beginning play sometime in July.  But, I am sure this will all go full circle and end up in a COVID-19 argument again.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I'm potentially spreading the virus in a circle with a 13 foot radius. 

A constantly moving 13 foot sphere. 

Everyone should watch the rest of that Mythbusters episode.  They rigged up Adam with a fake runny nose (basically a little tube covered by makeup, along his glasses to his nose that dripped at the same rate a typical nose runs.  Filled with something that had a fluorescing dye that glows under black light).  He sat down with a bunch of people and played games, ate dinner, etc.  Afterwards they let the group in on the project, shut off the lights, turned on the blacklight.  The fake snot was everywhere.

They redid it with Adam trying to not shake hands, avoid touching, etc.  And things got better.  But if you're reasonably close to someone with a bug you don't want... good luck, you'll probably get exposed.

Someone should redo that with a mask, or everyone wearing masks.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

There is! MLB and MLPA oficially begin discussions about beginning play sometime in July.  But, I am sure this will all go full circle and end up in a COVID-19 argument again.

ok, so the gang is around the camp fire singing kumbyla my lord.

But, thats it, they are meeting. 

57 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You believe the WUHAN story is accurate?

Given that the Chinese government controls 100% of their media and reporting.

I dont trust anything they said.

The mask is supposed to prevent you from spraying droplets of very contagious virus to others. Even healthy people can carry it and transmit it to others.

So who knows how many people they come in contract with in a 2 week period.

Look back at 1918. People felt safe and tired of the mask, and thought the spanish flu had passed, but it hadnt and so many more people died.

I would like to think, we can take a lessons learned and not repeat past society miscues.

Show me any study, anywhere, documenting outdoor transmission. China has incentive to repress the numbers but I don't see why they would fudge indoor vs outdoor given it is much easier for them to do things like force people to wear masks if they want to.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Good thing the sun is shining everywhere, all the time.

Dont you love how misinformed some can be. (Not you).

UV-C does kill the nasty bug, but at a much higher intensity than just the sum.

So back to MLB and the many happenings to discuss.

Wait, what happenings. :)