O's release 37 minor leaguers

SteveA

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I do feel bad for the Dominican guys though since there are less opportunities and they typically don't have the education level as the American players. 

I think that visa issues are a big concern now. 

• Upvote 1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTrFbzauH0Qf86KxU4IMyRP5kmMOTSc0tw8rGRXM1pRCpTpXF5ur4pMccY-HVZBLV7MFAtVIu71yuDU/pubhtml?gid=421348820&single=true

I've been trying to track our international guys, the ones the Orioles have scouted and signed. The ones cut today had all been in the system for a bit. Some big names like Jomar Reyes, but really at an age where you'd expect someone to be more advanced by now.

I also observed that evidently you must be 17 years old to play in affiliated baseball. There is definitely an age cutoff for our J2 players that did and did not play last year with the DSL team.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

There's another way to look at this though. This gives these young man an opportunity of getting on with their lives. While I'm sure it's a lot of fun at times to be a minor league baseball, and there is no short supply of young men willing to play, the vast majority of minor leaguers have no major league future.

While it may hurt at first, many will take this as the kick in the pants they need to get on with their lives and start working on that next phase of their lives. Many former minor leaguers end up very successful because of the drive it took to be exceptional at baseball and the hard work it took to play at the professional level.

I do feel bad for the Dominican guys though since there are less opportunities and they typically don't have the education level as the American players. 

As for this entire situation, I think we're going to see a lot of teams start releasing players as they grapple with losing short season leagues and of course, the COVID situation that has made the minor leagues questionable this year.

One thing I was thinking about these guys is if the NCAA had a brain they would allow these guys if they wanted to be allowed to play college baseball and receive free educations.  Yes it would take away positions from other players but it would raise the level of play in college baseball.  Some of them would look at it as a second chance to play pro baseball but hopefully they could come out of it with a college degree. 

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

One thing I was thinking about these guys is if the NCAA had a brain they would allow these guys if they wanted to be allowed to play college baseball and receive free educations.  Yes it would take away positions from other players but it would raise the level of play in college baseball.  Some of them would look at it as a second chance to play pro baseball but hopefully they could come out of it with a college degree. 

I don't see how raising the level of play in college baseball should be an issue. 

I'd much rather kids not lose the scholarship they have already been offered to some professional.

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Never understood the "Reyes as a prospect" thing.  Kid couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, and that was in A ball.  Still, sad for these guys.  Rough times.

They needed someone from their international efforts to be a prospect.

4 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

Totally with you.  It’s something that would have happened anyway on a normal baseball calendar, but 37 at once is pretty significant.  They lost a team.  It’s pretty sad.  I bet we’re eye to eye on the players too.  Just stinks......

I was thinking this has as much to do with minor league contraction?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s an autopsy:

Jomar Reyes: foreign signing, 6 years in system (ages 17-22),  highest level AA (1 game)
Preston Palmeiro: 7th round 2016, 4 years in system (ages 21-24), highest level AA.
Dalton Hoiles: undrafted, 2 years in system (ages 22-23), highest level AA (2 games, otherwise short season A)
Ben Breazeale: 7th round 2017, 3 years in system (ages 22-24), highest level A+
Cole Billingsley: 19th round 2016, 4 years in system (ages 22-25), highest level AA
Nick Horvath: 25th round 2018, 2 years in system (ages 21-22), highest level low A
Daniel Fajardo: foreign signing, 7 years in system (ages 17-24), highest level AAA (1 game, otherwise high A)
Jordan Kipper: minor league free agent, 3 years in system (ages 24-26), highest level AAA
Sean Miller: minor league free agent, 1 year in system (age 24), highest level AA
Jose Alejandro: foreign signing, 2 years in system (ages 23-24), highest level A (1 game, 2 at A-, otherwise GCL)
Tucker Baca: 12th round 2017, 3 years in system, ages 21-23, highest level short season A.
Carlos Baez: foreign signing, 5 years in system (ages 17-21), highest level short season A.
Scott Burke: 20th round 2017, 3 years in system (ages 23-25), highest level A+
Jean Carlos Carrillo: foreign signing, 6 years in system (ages 17-22), highest level A+
Christopher Clare: 21st round 2016, 4 years in system (ages 21-24), highest level AA
Marlon Constante: foreign signing, 3 years in system (ages 20-22), highest level A (1 game, otherwise A-)
Manuel Daza: foreign signing, 4 years in system (ages 19-22), highest level GCL
Juan De La Rosa: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 21), highest level DSL.
Javier Echeverria (Juan Echeverria?): foreign signing,  4 years in system (ages 19-22), highest level A+ (1 game, otherwise A).
Claudio Galva: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 22), highest level AA.
Hector Guance: foreign signing, 5 years in system (ages 19-23), highest level A
Josue Herrera: foreign signing, 2 years in system (ages 21-22), highest level GCL
Edison Lantigua: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 22), highest level A
Jose Lizaragga: foreign signing, 4 years in system (ages 18-21), highest level A- (one game, otherwise GCL)
Hector Lucero: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 18), highest level DSL
Gilberto Machado: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 18), highest level DSL
Angelo Mora: signed this offseason, never played for us.
Moises Nolasco, foreign signing, 2 years in system (ages 21-22), highest level A-
Irving Ortega: foreign signing, 5 years in system (ages 18-22), highest level A+
Trevor Putzig: 17th round 2018, 1 year in system (age 23), highest level A-
Willie Rios: foreign signing, 3 years in system (ages 20-22), highest level A-
Lenin Rodriguez: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 21), highest level A-
Victor Romero: foreign signing, 6 years in system (ages 19-24), highest level A-
James Ryan: undrafted, 1 year in system (age 22), highest level A-
Javien Sandridge: 32nd round 2018, 2 years in system (ages 19-20), highest level GCL
Robert Thornburn: 31st round 2017, 3 years in system (ages 22-24), highest level A+

Frobby is a workhorse for all of us as always! Thank you my friend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s an autopsy:

Jomar Reyes: foreign signing, 6 years in system (ages 17-22),  highest level AA (1 game)
Preston Palmeiro: 7th round 2016, 4 years in system (ages 21-24), highest level AA.
Dalton Hoiles: undrafted, 2 years in system (ages 22-23), highest level AA (2 games, otherwise short season A)
Ben Breazeale: 7th round 2017, 3 years in system (ages 22-24), highest level A+
Cole Billingsley: 19th round 2016, 4 years in system (ages 22-25), highest level AA
Nick Horvath: 25th round 2018, 2 years in system (ages 21-22), highest level low A
Daniel Fajardo: foreign signing, 7 years in system (ages 17-24), highest level AAA (1 game, otherwise high A)
Jordan Kipper: minor league free agent, 3 years in system (ages 24-26), highest level AAA
Sean Miller: minor league free agent, 1 year in system (age 24), highest level AA
Jose Alejandro: foreign signing, 2 years in system (ages 23-24), highest level A (1 game, 2 at A-, otherwise GCL)
Tucker Baca: 12th round 2017, 3 years in system, ages 21-23, highest level short season A.
Carlos Baez: foreign signing, 5 years in system (ages 17-21), highest level short season A.
Scott Burke: 20th round 2017, 3 years in system (ages 23-25), highest level A+
Jean Carlos Carrillo: foreign signing, 6 years in system (ages 17-22), highest level A+
Christopher Clare: 21st round 2016, 4 years in system (ages 21-24), highest level AA
Marlon Constante: foreign signing, 3 years in system (ages 20-22), highest level A (1 game, otherwise A-)
Manuel Daza: foreign signing, 4 years in system (ages 19-22), highest level GCL
Juan De La Rosa: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 21), highest level DSL.
Javier Echeverria (Juan Echeverria?): foreign signing,  4 years in system (ages 19-22), highest level A+ (1 game, otherwise A).
Claudio Galva: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 22), highest level AA.
Hector Guance: foreign signing, 5 years in system (ages 19-23), highest level A
Josue Herrera: foreign signing, 2 years in system (ages 21-22), highest level GCL
Edison Lantigua: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 22), highest level A
Jose Lizaragga: foreign signing, 4 years in system (ages 18-21), highest level A- (one game, otherwise GCL)
Hector Lucero: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 18), highest level DSL
Gilberto Machado: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 18), highest level DSL
Angelo Mora
: signed this offseason, never played for us.
Moises Nolasco, foreign signing, 2 years in system (ages 21-22), highest level A-
Irving Ortega: foreign signing, 5 years in system (ages 18-22), highest level A+
Trevor Putzig: 17th round 2018, 1 year in system (age 23), highest level A-
Willie Rios: foreign signing, 3 years in system (ages 20-22), highest level A-
Lenin Rodriguez: foreign signing, 1 year in system (age 21), highest level A-
Victor Romero: foreign signing, 6 years in system (ages 19-24), highest level A-
James Ryan: undrafted, 1 year in system (age 22), highest level A-
Javien Sandridge: 32nd round 2018, 2 years in system (ages 19-20), highest level GCL
Robert Thornburn: 31st round 2017, 3 years in system (ages 22-24), highest level A+

I thought this fleet CF (Horvath) was to be the "next Nickie" but alas!  And Mora and Machado in one fell swoop!  Oh well - now they can get on with their lives and figure it out.  But, it is a sad day on this Memorial Day Weekend.

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I thought this fleet CF (Horvath) was to be the "next Nickie" but alas!  And Mora and Machado in one fell swoop!  Oh well - now they can get on with their lives and figure it out.  But, it is a sad day on this Memorial Day Weekend.

Memories of two trade deadlines ago...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bobmc said:

What I’m wondering is, why now?    Why not two months ago?

The names that actually give me pause:

James Ryan, because he was part of that most recent great pitcher draft... except he went undrafted. He just happened to be the guy they immediately signed after the draft because they must've thought highly of him.

Jomar Reyes, because I really thought he'd move quicker through the system than he did. He used to be a sort of prospect that really could've been a thing. See also: Carlos Baez.

Ben Breazeale, kinda thought he'd be a big hitting catcher and cutting bait now seemed too early? Maybe not, I'm not a scout.

Jordan Kipper, not surprised because he's had way too many arm issues. I'm willing to bet his last surgery wrecked him irreparably.

I believe Palmeiro is the only one of the bunch who ever wore a Baltimore Orioles uniform, as an "added" player who accompanied the team and appeared in a spring training game a few times.   (I don't think Reyes ever did, not 100% sure.   But i know Palmeiro did.  He and Ryan Ripken appeared in the same game once, I watched it on TV).