Press Box: David Sampson on Orioles Draft Advantage

weams

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

You’re basing that on one season of data.   We’ll see over the longer term.    But, I agree that I don’t see the logic of assuming the opposite of his short track record.   

Exactly

• Like 1

In the article mentioned, Sampson makes a good point about the Os being able to sell opportunity on our major league roster.  I know the scouts are all scouring the same video and data, but given the success last year in finding Toby Welk, one has to hope there are also one or two prospects that the Os approach with a $20k offer that are not on most other team's radar.

Further, Luke showed a strong ability to identify on video overlooked prospects to draft outside of round 10 last year.  I don't think it is unreasonable to hope he can find a couple himself.

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

In the article mentioned, Sampson makes a good point about the Os being able to sell opportunity on our major league roster.  I know the scouts are all scouring the same video and data, but given the success last year in finding Toby Welk, one has to hope there are also one or two prospects that the Os approach with a $20k offer that are not on most other team's radar.

Further, Luke showed a strong ability to identify on video overlooked prospects to draft outside of round 10 last year.  I don't think it is unreasonable to hope he can find a couple himself.

I’m sure he’s working on it.   It would be a real rush if the O’s signed someone he plucked out of nowhere.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

What a load of malarkey. If this were the case the Orioles would be signing the top international players and the Yankees and Dodgers would be bottom feeders,

Prospects are going to play for the teams with the best development programs and the best minor league facilities and the teams that pay the most to their own players. If you develop well you will play in the big leagues somewhere, 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, atomic said:

What a load of malarkey. If this were the case the Orioles would be signing the top international players and the Yankees and Dodgers would be bottom feeders,

Prospects are going to play for the teams with the best development programs and the best minor league facilities and the teams that pay the most to their own players. If you develop well you will play in the big leagues somewhere, 

I think there is a difference between top international prospects and undrafted, four year college pitchers who are just looking for a shot somewhere.

I tend to pay attention (or, maybe I should say, remember) how only the top prospects and the almost-ready-for-prime-time players have   advanced through the minor leagues. Not especially fast.

But I don't think that will have much influence on an undrafted player deciding among teams that express an interest in him. I would think the deciding factor for most of these guys would be (a) money and (b) the ability of teams to convince them that they'll have a real opportunity to get to the majors (or to AAA or AA, where they'll be noticed  by other teams if they perform well). I guess the Orioles might have an advantage over some other teams in selling opportunity for advancement to infielders other than first basemen and to starting pitchers. (By "infielders," I mean guys who might actually play second, third or short effectively in the high minors or big leagues -- if there are any such players --  not the guys who played there in college but are future outfielders or first basemen.)

• Like 1