Orioles' last 5 tool player?

Redskins Rick

On 5/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Just goes to show how hard drafting and developing is.  But most guys have a deficiency or two.  A true 5 tool player is an exceptionally rare thing.  Call it a 10 ability player, adding in things you mentioned like agility, quickness, etc, in addition to the 5 tools that scouts look for...it's still rare.

Who was the last 5 tool player the Orioles drafted?

I know Hammonds was said to be a 5 tools guy, and he had a decent career, not sure, he panned out as a true 5 tool guy, but the expectation and hype was there.

Wieters had defense and bat production in college, but no speed.

Mancini was bat only

Sisco was bat only

I guess Manny was the last true 5 guy the Orioles drafted. While not a burner, he had enough speed to turn many a single into doubles, and score from second,

9 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I know Hammonds was said to be a 5 tools guy, and he had a decent career, not sure, he panned out as a true 5 tool guy, but the expectation and hype was there.

Mancini was bat only

Sisco was bat only

I guess Manny was the last true 5 guy the Orioles drafted. While not a burner, he had enough speed to turn many a single into doubles, and score from second,

BRob was close to 5 tools. Had all 5, just maybe not elite level on all of them.

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Mancini was bat only

Sisco was bat only

You mean when he actually ran?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Agreed.  Many like to only remember the handful of times he lackadaisically jogged down first base. 

they need that image to justify in their own minds, why its not a big deal, that a stud HOF shoe in, is no longer a part of this organization.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

they need that image to justify in their own minds, why its not a big deal, that a stud HOF shoe in, is no longer a part of this organization.

I'd say shoe in is a bit strong.  He's only been above average the last couple of seasons. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say shoe in is a bit strong.  He's only been above average the last couple of seasons. 

Ok, most of what I said, was based on his performance as an Oriole.

I really dont care too much to follow the rest of the league, including former Orioles.

His career WAR is at 36.7 for 8 seasons,  and still young at 26.

While maybe no longer a shoe in, first rounder. I think believe he has a solid path there.

I dont think his rep can withstand too many more conflicts with other players.  Again, IMO.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm a huge Manny fan, but what records were those?  All I can come up with is most doubles by an American League player in the first half of a season since 1997.

Wasn’t he youngest to hit 50 doubles?   Something along those lines.  

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ok, most of what I said, was based on his performance as an Oriole.

I really dont care too much to follow the rest of the league, including former Orioles.

His career WAR is at 36.7 for 8 seasons,  and still young at 26.

While maybe no longer a shoe in, first rounder. I think believe he has a solid path there.

I dont think his rep can withstand too many more conflicts with other players.  Again, IMO.

There have been 24 players with 31 to 41 rWAR through age 26.  17 of them (71%) are in the Hall.

The ones not in the Hall are:
Vada Pinson (I think he had back problems, declined badly in late 20s/early 30s)
Cesar Cedeno (Fell apart in late 20s)
Sherry Magee (Could be in the Hall, but isn't)
John McGraw (Was done by 30, probably because of 19th century diseases like typhoid)
Jim Fregosi (Injured?  Didn't play a full season after 29)
Joe Jackson (banned for throwing World Series)
Dick Allen (personality and other problems that kind of put Manny to shame)

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm a huge Manny fan, but what records were those?  All I can come up with is most doubles by an American League player in the first half of a season since 1997.

Machado had three hits on May 27, giving him 40 multi-hit games in his career, tying Ty Cobb for the major league record for the most multi-hit games before age 21 in history; on May 30, he went 2-for-3 to break Cobb's record. Machado's 44 hits in May 2013 were the second-most in a month by a player under 21 behind Mickey Mantle's 46 in July 1952.[23] At the end of May, Machado led the major leagues with 25 doubles and was tied for the MLB lead in hits (79) with reigning AL MVP Miguel Cabrera. Exactly halfway through the season, Machado got his 37th double, putting him on pace to break the single season record (67) in his first full season.[23]

I thought 2013, he set a record for double in the MLB, my bad. Guess he just led the AL in doubles that season with 51.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought 2013, he set a record for double in the MLB, my bad. Guess he just led the AL in doubles that season with 51.

I looked up Arod. He also hit over 50 doubles his age 20 season. I thought he had some kind of a record also.