Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

It is "cherry picking" to compare Perdroia's 34 doubles in 297 Soph AB's to Martin's 39 doubles in 519 Career AB's?

If you compare their sophmore seasons its 34/297 VS 19/268 (1 every 8 vs 1 every 14). As I mentioned, I cant find Dustin's full college lines ...But I'd be interested in how their SLG and OPS compare.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks .... So SLG is Pedroia/Martin (Spohmore) .579/.611 and OPS 1.051/1.091

So despite the despite Pedroia's 15 more doubles he had only 7 more XBH when adding in Homeruns and Triples that favor Martin by 7.

As I mentioned, I think Pedroia is a pretty good comp.

You know, good bad or indifferent, we did not pick Martin, and until the guys get onto the field and do whatever they will do, I think it’s fruitless to argue back-and-forth.

I for one am very grateful that the draft picks we made the last couple of years had some logic behind them and did not appear to result from darts thrown at a dartboard.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:13 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Jose Iglesias was in the majors at 21.

At 22 Grenier split time between A and A+ ball.

I"m just thinking about comparable outcome.  Iglesias isn't really an OBP guy, so probably not a good comp.  I'm thinking about value, like WAR, a 1-2 WAR Player

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I"m just thinking about comparable outcome.  Iglesias isn't really an OBP guy, so probably not a good comp.  I'm thinking about value, like WAR, a 1-2 WAR Player

I may be jumping in the middle of a conversation regarding Grenier, I think he’s going to be a wasted pick. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I may be jumping in the middle of a conversation regarding Grenier, I think he’s going to be a wasted pick. 

Put it this way; Adam Hall is 2 and a half years younger and did better at Delmarva last season then Grenier.  And Hall's a nice prospect but not a top prospect.  Grenier had a nice defensive rep, but he's not an athletic SS and doesn't appear to have a great arm.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Put it this way; Adam Hall is 2 and a half years younger and did better at Delmarva last season then Grenier.  And Hall's a nice prospect but not a top prospect.  Grenier had a nice defensive rep, but he's not an athletic SS and doesn't appear to have a great arm.  

I blame Cobb.

20 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah unfortunately Apple spell correct must not have balderdash in its database. 

I get it .... but most of the Kool Aid drinkers will be pissing all over this draft if I turn out to be right. Wait and See!

Your last line is correct. But it remains to be seen IF you are correct,  And of course, the MLB draft is much much more speculative than the NFL.  Of course they have their busts too.  In hindsight," koolaid" and "hateraid" are pretty much the same thing...strong opinions based on personal view.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Yes my Understanding when he was drafted was that he was Ozzie Smith but couldn’t hit a lick. Now it seems he’s not Ozzie Smith either. He’s also not Paul Janish.

Hall seems like a much better bet to contribute but he’s still 2 years away?

22 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks .... So SLG is Pedroia/Martin (Spohmore) .579/.611 and OPS 1.051/1.091

So despite the despite Pedroia's 15 more doubles he had only 7 more XBH when adding in Homeruns and Triples that favor Martin by 7.

As I mentioned, I think Pedroia is a pretty good comp.

Pedroia may be a good comp as a 80th or 90th percentile outcome from Martin.  But Pedroia was the 8th middle infielder taken in the 2004 draft.  The day he was taken most of the teams in the majors thought that Matt Bush, Chris Nelson, Stephen Drew, Trevor Plouffe, Blake DeWitt, Reid Brignac, and Brian Bixler were better bets to have a successful career than Pedrioa.

As a junior Bixler hit .453/.519/.650 at Eastern Michigan, with 31 steals in 59 games.  He was the Pirates' shortstop of the future.  He retired with a .518 OPS.

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Looks like a pretty competent outfielder that moves pretty well and has a good arm

I agree.

The thing is defense peaks early and Kjerstad looks like he has a frame that can put on some more good weight.

Where is his defense six years from now?

Is he going to be a "pretty competent" corner outfielder for the length of his tenure with the O's?

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I’ve seen varying opinions on his defense, from average to well above average.   Either way, I don’t think he’s likely to hit well enough to be anything more than a journeyman.    But hopefully he can at least reach that level.