Early 2021 Top Draft Prospects

I may be in the minority, but I'm really hoping that Henry Davis falls to us at 5. I know we have Adley at Catcher, but I've watched alot of Louisville games this year and this guy's bat is special. You can keep him at Catcher and have him and Adley platoon (not my favorite plan, but I've read it) or move him to the Outfield for his bat. He definitely has the arm to play right and I'd rather have his proven college bat over some of these high school kids. I also think him being a college player helps him fit into the rebuild timeline alot better than some of the highschoolers.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, osravensfan78 said:

I may be in the minority, but I'm really hoping that Henry Davis falls to us at 5. I know we have Adley at Catcher, but I've watched alot of Louisville games this year and this guy's bat is special. You can keep him at Catcher and have him and Adley platoon (not my favorite plan, but I've read it) or move him to the Outfield for his bat. He definitely has the arm to play right and I'd rather have his proven college bat over some of these high school kids. I also think him being a college player helps him fit into the rebuild timeline alot better than some of the highschoolers.  

Not sure this is necessarily true. The goal is to build a perennial contender, not an expiring window. The high schoolers in question are primarily SS (guys expected to stick there). SS for the ML club could be one of the more significant FA additions when we flip the proverbial switch (thinking this coming offseason), with 2nd and 3rd expected to be filled by guys from the farm (e.g., Gunnar).

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not sure this is necessarily true. The goal is to build a perennial contender, not an expiring window. The high schoolers in question are primarily SS (guys expected to stick there). SS for the ML club could be one of the more significant FA additions when we flip the proverbial switch (thinking this coming offseason), with 2nd and 3rd expected to be filled by guys from the farm (e.g., Gunnar).

Have they given up on SS for Gunnar?

I guess this weekend Rocker/Leiter (or vice versa) get to pitch the equivalent of 1 seed v. 16 seed games in the first round.   NCAA junior-aged Grayson would be their #1 starter, right?

Nashville (Tenn.) Regional

Friday's games

No. 4 Vanderbilt (40-15) vs. Presbyterian (22-21), 6 p.m.

Indiana State (30-19) vs. Georgia Tech (29-23), noon

2 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Amazing.  1 year ago and the thought of Rocker dropping to 5 would have had all of us doing backflips.  Now there are some that hope we pass on him if he does drop.

That’s why it’s silly to discuss a draft a year in advance.   

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s why it’s silly to discuss a draft a year in advance.   

I think enough of the players projected one year ago to go in the first round of the 2021 draft are still likely to go in round 1, at least enough to have made it a fun and worthwhile discussion.  Of course, you have to recognize there will be some movement but a guy going 1-5 or 1-6 (if that is worst case scenario for Rocker) after being projected to go 1-1 is not a huge change over the course of a year.  

9 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I think enough of the players projected one year ago to go in the first round of the 2021 draft are still likely to go in round 1, at least enough to have made it a fun and worthwhile discussion.  Of course, you have to recognize there will be some movement but a guy going 1-5 or 1-6 (if that is worst case scenario for Rocker) after being projected to go 1-1 is not a huge change over the course of a year.  

It’s a pretty big change from the perspective of the teams doing the drafting.   

Look, I’m not at all against people having fun projecting who the top picks next year might be.  I just bristle when I read things like “we need to tank so that we can get [Pedro Alvarez/Anthony Rendon/Bobby Witt Jr./Kumar Rocker/etc. in next year’s draft.”  All those guys were being talked up by some people here as once in a generation players the year before they were drafted.   And none of them went 1:1 a year later.   A lot can change in a year.   

If we do end up on Brady House 6.4.2003, he will share with Gunnar 6.29.2001 the attribute of barely being 18 draft night.   

Khalil Watson, the other high school shortstop reputedly climbing by some accounts (Fangraphs Goldstein in chat today agreed with him in group of 7 best players), is 4.16.2003 and will also be one of the younger Age-18 draftees.

Though both class to 2021 draft, I believe front offices do chop the onion finely enough to consider factors like Lawlar being 10.5 months older than House, Witt being 12.5 months older than Gunnar, etc.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:03 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

The latest mlb.com mock draft,

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-2?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Would we really pass on Rocker for House?  

I think so. I keep hearing we are really high on the HS shortstops. I think House is the one they end up with (I think Meyer and Lawyer are definitely gone) if he’s there, but I also hear they are really high on Watson too.