Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

1 minute ago, rudyrooster said:

All I know is this.  Kjerstad can flat out hit the baseball.  He plays the game the "right way".  The Oriole way.

So knocking that first baseman down is playing the game the "right way"?  The Oriole way?

I'm sure Machado would agree, not sure about Brooks.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Speaking for myself I liked his athleticism and high OBP. Corbin his manager said he was a CF/2nd. I know that limits him. 

Not sure if playing of the turf in Toronto will impact anything or not. 

Sure.  If he can be a very good CFer or second baseman, he is still very valuable.

I like the hit tool and OBP as well but if the power doesn’t come and pitchers aren’t afraid to challenge him, he will likely fizzle out.  I think that was the worry with him.

Big Ben is convinced his arm won’t play on the left side of the IF and that it would obviously be poorish in the OF.  If he is right, you are looking at a second baseman or an OFer with a noodle arm.  Either of those greatly diminishes his value and it also means that he really isn’t a better prospect than Kjerstad.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Sure.  If he can be a very good CFer or second baseman, he is still very valuable.

I like the hit tool and OBP as well but if the power doesn’t come and pitchers aren’t afraid to challenge him, he will likely fizzle out.  I think that was the worry with him.

Big Ben is convinced his arm won’t play on the left side of the IF and that it would obviously be poorish in the OF.  If he is right, you are looking at a second baseman or an OFer with a noodle arm.  Either of those greatly diminishes his value and it also means that he really isn’t a better prospect than Kjerstad.

Even if that is the case you could still comp him to someone like Roberts right? 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Even if that is the case you could still comp him to someone like Roberts right? 

Sure...some have wanted to say Rendon but Rendon is a GG caliber third baseman.

If he can be an above average second baseman, the value is high.  But if he is drafted with the thought that he can only play second and not SS or third, he isn’t a slam dunk high pick on draft boards imo.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure...some have wanted to say Rendon but Rendon is a GG caliber third baseman.

If he can be an above average second baseman, the value is high.  But if he is drafted with the thought that he can only play second and not SS or third, he isn’t a slam dunk high pick on draft boards imo.

I like the Roberts comp a lot more than Rendon.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So knocking that first baseman down is playing the game the "right way"?  The Oriole way?

I'm sure Machado would agree, not sure about Brooks.

You're such a "troll"!  Machado was a Dodger when he did that.  Boo on you!

Edited by rudyrooster

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like the Roberts comp a lot more than Rendon.

The question will be whether he is the Roberts with a <.100 ISO in the minors or if that develops. 10 HR last year is less than Roberts had either sophomore or junior year.

Just now, makoman said:

The question will be whether he is the Roberts with a <.100 ISO in the minors or if that develops. 10 HR last year is less than Roberts had either sophomore or junior year.

It might depend on if he gets the same level of help Roberts got.

Also if they keep using superballs.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are the one who went there. 

If you want to claim he plays the game the right away defend that hit on the first baseman.  Stuck me as a Chad move. 

I stand by my assessment of Kjerstad.  You are the one who brought Manny into the conversation.  Why do I bother even responding?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Ripken, who pitched in high school and played 274 games at 3B and 178 at SS in the minors?

Everybody knows that the O's were playing Cal at third in the minors because there was no way he was knocking Kiko Garcia off his position.  Kiko owned shortstop.

2 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I stand by my assessment of Kjerstad.  You are the one who brought Manny into the conversation.  Why do I bother even responding?

So you think pointlessly knocking down a defending player is playing the right way.  Got it.

And I don't know why you bother to respond if you refuse to address the point I am making and are instead just going to complain.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are the one who went there. 

If you want to claim he plays the game the right away defend that hit on the first baseman.  Stuck me as a Chad move. 

Really? You took offense to that? The defender was clearly in his path back to the bag. I have watched the replay a few times. Kjerstad's job was to get back to the bag, the defender was a step or two in front of the bag, and Kjerstad had to go through him. Give me a break

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think pointlessly knocking down a defending player is playing the right way.  Got it.

And I don't know why you bother to respond if you refuse to address the point I am making and are instead just going to complain.

Mountains out of mole hills