Servideo on Crabcakes, Bleach Blonde hair, and more! (UPDATE: Signs for $950K 100k overslot)

Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Contrary to popular belief, the "mustard" is not fat, rather it's the crab's hepatopancreas, the organ responsible for filtering impurities from the crab's blood. Although many find its flavor distinct and delicious, it is recommended that you do not eat this since many chemical contaminants concentrate in the organ. 

https://www.chesapeakequarterly.net/V11N2/side4/#:~:text=mustard%20Yellow%20substance%20found%20inside,impurities%20from%20the%20crab's%20blood.

Mmmm pancreas contaminants. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1992-06-21-1992173274-story.html

"Crabs taken from open waters I wouldn't worry about,"

McConaugha, who studies crabs, said the creatures' mobility seems to keep them remarkably free of contamination.

In fact, a survey of Chesapeake Bay crabs, including ones caught in the Baltimore Harbor, found them safe to eat by Food and Drug Administration standards.

I can search Google too!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

You and CoC should check out their website.  They deliver crab cakes with cooking instructions to save you the drive.

I make my own and in my humble opinion they are better, LOL

OK, it’s not so humble!

I’ve catered parties and stuff and my crab related dishes always get good reviews.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

My wife is partial to G&M. She did get a really good one at Dempseys a few years ago, when we stopped in there before a game.

I grew up 5 min from G&M! Crabs and crab cakes were basically the only food my family splurged on, G&M was the best. Also been to Timbuktu a few times but didn’t know they had good crab cakes. 

To the rest of the thread, I prefer broiled but fried are good on occasion. I like to make them too but won’t win any awards and would never put the mustard in them. I love soft shells too. Hope Mr. Servideo ends up spending a long time in Baltimore and learns a thing or two about this. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

For instance I like to put crab mustard in with the crab meat.

I had liver and onions for the first time this month, and my impression of it was that it’s like a steak that tastes slightly of crab tomalley. They are, after all, the same organ on both animals.

Also, someone may turn up their nose in disgust and ask me to turn in my Maryland card, but my wife makes “crab” cakes pretty regularly with chunk light tuna. For $1 a can vs $20 a pound, we can eat those every night of the week and they’re darn delicious.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

Also, someone may turn up their nose in disgust and ask me to turn in my Maryland card, but my wife makes “crab” cakes pretty regularly with chunk light tuna. For $1 a can vs $20 a pound, we can eat those every night of the week and they’re darn delicious.

Never done tuna but I do enjoy a nice salmon cake with canned salmon.  Reminds me of my childhood.

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Love GM ...But always have to add Old Bay to it. Had Jimmy's once a long time ago as its on the wrong side of town for me in Westminster. Also want to mention Costa's as they have good Crab Cakes. My father likes Pappas better than GM because he can get them fried.

The wife and I had lunch at Rocksalt Grille today. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Never done tuna but I do enjoy a nice salmon cake with canned salmon.  Reminds me of my childhood.

Agreed, I have a couple cans of salmon in the pantry right now for the occasional salmon cake.

As for chunk lite, I don't mind tuna at all but I can't stand that stuff, I gotta go with solid albacore. "But makoman, why does that matter if you're chopping it up into a cake?" Shut up, maybe an aversion from childhood I don't know. I've never cooked up a tuna cake though, I'll have to try that so I appreciate the idea @Enjoy Terror, that sounds interesting.

• Upvote 1

I don't go much to Maryland anymore, even less in the future, but certainly one of the things I miss dearly is steamed crabs, crab cakes, and soft-shelled crab sandwiches done the right way. Does anyone know why Irish restaurants and pubs--at least here in NYC--often have crab cakes on the menu? Are they part of the standard cuisine in Ireland? In any case, they taste like sawdust or potato meal (depending on the place) compared to Maryland style.

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

The wife and I had lunch at Rocksalt Grille today. 

Did you have the seafood club? Best value in the place! Crab Cake, Shrimp salad, BLT. I get it without bread. They give you a decent size crab cake (about 1/3 of GM, and 1/2LB of shrimp salad. They make homemade house cut fries. All for $15.00

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I love a good salmon cake. I used to eat them in DC in churches who ran breakfast buffets. 

When I was a kid duck pin bowling was the thing. All the bowling alleys sold cod cakes made in Baltimore. On two crackers with mustard. I remember really liking them! Not sure why

2 hours ago, makoman said:

Agreed, I have a couple cans of salmon in the pantry right now for the occasional salmon cake.

As for chunk lite, I don't mind tuna at all but I can't stand that stuff, I gotta go with solid albacore. "But makoman, why does that matter if you're chopping it up into a cake?" Shut up, maybe an aversion from childhood I don't know. I've never cooked up a tuna cake though, I'll have to try that so I appreciate the idea @Enjoy Terror, that sounds interesting.

I second the Solid white albacore. I accidentally purchased some in oil once and it was gross!

• Upvote 1