Jon Meoli: Has 6 non rostered O's on the OD roster

wildcard

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Whether or not it's necessary... is the downside of not being on the team for 10 days so bad that he has to be a really good player in his revised walk year for it to have been ta reasonable decision or "worth it?" What is the immediate cost you are trying to balance against here?

He also could have been up last September, developmental time that, given what has happened since, would have been useful.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin, Lowther, Wells, Kremer, etc..all should be up.

The idea that guys like Milone, LeBlanc and Wojo are going to be in the rotation is a joke.  It was one thing for them to start a normal season in the rotation.  But at this point, I expected a lot of the young talent here and playing.  So, get them up now.

You also have Mountcastle and Diaz.  You just have to wait a few games and you get the extra year for all of them.

I wonder if injury is a concern, as far as pitchers.

With their whole routine out of wack, arm injuries could be a bigger issue this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He also could have been up last September, developmental time that, given what has happened since, would have been useful.

If he had been up last September, what would he need? 20 days this year for the extra year? I don't think that changes things too meaningfully. And that's also something that already happened. Where we stand today, I would like to know what the cost of him not being on the opening day roster is. 

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Whether or not it's necessary... is the downside of not being on the team for 10 days so bad that he has to be a really good player in his revised walk year for it to have been ta reasonable decision or "worth it?" What is the immediate cost you are trying to balance against here?

He should have been up last September, so it isn't 10 days.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

If he had been up last September, what would he need? 20 days this year for the extra year? I don't think that changes things too meaningfully. And that's also something that already happened. Where we stand today, I would like to know what the cost of him not being on the opening day roster is. 

Sorry I can't separate the decision.  Elias deciding that a fringe top 100 guy needed to have his service time manipulated happened last year and I think the O's missed out on a good chance to further develop the player on both sides of the ball.  I don't think he's willing to publicly reverse himself now, he's committed to this course of action.

• Upvote 2

He should have been up last September and arguably before the end of the AAA season, so it isn't 10 days.

He should have been up last September and arguably before the end of the AAA season, so it isn't 10 days.

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin, Lowther, Wells, Kremer, etc..all should be up.

The idea that guys like Milone, LeBlanc and Wojo are going to be in the rotation is a joke.  It was one thing for them to start a normal season in the rotation.  But at this point, I expected a lot of the young talent here and playing.  So, get them up now.

You also have Mountcastle and Diaz.  You just have to wait a few games and you get the extra year for all of them.

I'm with you. Milone, LeBlanc and Wojo are perfectly suitable starting pitchers to help a team navigate a 100-loss season. But they are not necessary in a 60-game season. They could even be seen as impediments to minor league pitchers developing by keeping them from pitching in real-life games. 
It's not like Akin, Lowther, et al. need to take the hill every fifth game. Even without the "innings eaters," the Orioles could employ a loosely constructed 8-man rotation. 60 games X 9 innings = 540 innings pitched (and they might not even get to 60 games, you know). Assuming Cobb and Means start 10 games each, they likely account for @ 110 innings -- or about 20% -- of the total innings pitched. I am not sure why we are not including Baumann, but if we did add him to Akin/Lowther/Wells/Kremer and maybe Stewart, those six players could get in the neighborhood of 6 starts each and another 150 IPs over 36 starts. Of the remaining up to 14 games, you could give a start or two to a reliever, or Tate, or even Hall and Rodriguez. That's still leaves a good number of innings for relievers to cover, but we have plenty who could do well with some work in real baseball games this summer.
Overall, pitchers are going to be pitching far fewer competitive innings than they would have during a normal season, whether they had pitched in the minors this year or at the major league level. I don't think that a scenario like this would create unreasonable injury risk.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He should have been up last September, so it isn't 10 days.

The comment so nice, you made it thrice

• Haha 1