Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

This is the same fan base here, that has complained bitterly the few times, Manny didnt hustle to first, right?

Puig has been benched and removed from more than one game, over his career for multiple lack of hustles. Not to mention his lack of focus during the games while in the OF. Including Game 3 of a do or die playoff game.  Google this topic, and you will see issues from to 2014 to 2019. So its pretty much in his makeup, and I dont see him changing now.

The kid is very talented, but would rather be out on the tinsel town and making headlines in TMZ for his off the field activities.

Count me out, Im have not been, nor will I be in the camp that says, lets get this troubled young man and make him a reclamation project.

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you have money to burn you should concentrate spending on the areas that give the best return.  Have the O's done that?

I'm sure you could argue either way. They spent 1.35 million over their allotted pool last year (Spotrac). Expanding international signings which takes time due to relationships built years in advance.

19 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Puig also has multiple 4+ WAR seasons worth perhaps $30M annually. Cruz turned a good contract year into 4/$57M at age 34 (Puig will be 30 in 2021). I am not saying this is the most likely outcome, just a possible upside scenario with Cruz being "proof of concept". If Puig puts up 30 HR with decent defense and 4 WAR, he would certainly be in for a long term contract in that territory. 

In a short season with prorated salaries, it seems like grabbing free agents in hopes of flipping in trade or QO is a pretty good value bet proposition. Cruz cost us $8M investment. Puig might be a fraction of that with the same upside potential. 

In his last five seasons Puig's best mark is 3.4 wins, and that coming with a +14 in RF which he's never approached before or after.  He's an average to average+ RFer.

I'm sure from Puig's standpoint he wants a one-year deal where he hits pretty well and turns that into his last reasonably big contract.  Hopefully the Orioles want nothing to do with the latter.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If I were an offensive player looking to pad some stats and was struggling finding a job, the Orioles and OPACY would be a good fit.

I would be good with signing Puig for this year or this year and next year.

Anything beyond that would be a mistake.

In order to sign Puig for next year it probably would cost at least 10m.   There is really no reason to do that IMO.  Its the opposite of what Elias has been trying  to accomplish up to this point.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In order to sign Puig for next year it probably would cost at least 10m.   There is really no reason to do that IMO.  Its the opposite of what Elias has been trying  to accomplish up to this point.

Agreed. The opportunity here is a pro rated partial year to basically buy control for the upside scenario of trade or QO in a contract year. That makes sense to me but nothing beyond that. 

Half to think this deal is for very little money. Makes no sense otherwise. 

Hope he plays well and deal him in late August. If I’m Puig this is about opportunity not money. If there was a deal sitting there he wouldn’t still be a free agent. No way Puig would sign unless the Orioles are committing to him playing everyday. 

Orioles basically view this as risk free chance to upgrade and flip. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Half to think this deal is for very little money. Makes no sense otherwise. 

Hope he plays well and deal him in late August. If I’m Puig this is about opportunity not money. If there was a deal sitting there he wouldn’t still be a free agent. No way Puig would sign unless the Orioles are committing to him playing everyday. 

Orioles basically view this as risk free chance to upgrade and flip. 

If Puig was serious about his ball career, he would have been a better clubhouse guy and team player on the field.

He had to the chance to stay on a contender, that and being on playoff teams cant keep your focus, then what the heck will he do on a last place club?

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If Puig was serious about his ball career, he would have been a better clubhouse guy and team player on the field.

He had to the chance to stay on a contender, that and being on playoff teams cant keep your focus, then what the heck will he do on a last place club?

Probably bat .260, hit 8-10 HR's, and knock in about 25 

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Puig is at a crossroads. He turns 30 in December. We all know how the industry views that age now. Even players more productive than him aren’t getting paid like the old days.

His motivation would be his next contact. Which is why I said this deal has to be very cheap. If the Orioles don’t like what they see they can just walk away.  

He plays well you flip him, he doesn’t you release him. Not like he will wreck this season either way. 

• Upvote 1