Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If he cant keep focus in the playoffs for a contending club?

Sorry, not my type of ball player.

I get your reservations but he isn’t going to ruin the clubhouse chemistry of a contending club here. 

They aren’t signing him to be a piece that helps to get them over the top. Where is the risk? 

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

So, wait, are Anthony Santander and/or Dwight Smith Jr. playing this year?  I saw neither had shown up to camp yet.

(My apologies if this was answered earlier)

We don't know anything.

But if they are in a quarantine for some reason (a positive test that has since gone negative, or contact with someone with Covid-19) -- those quarantines typically last 14 days.

Wednesday will be 14 days since the start of camp and intake testing was done.

So ****if**** the issue is just related to their being in a precautionary quarantine, we might see them towards the end of this week.   But Hyde has already said that time is running out in terms of someone being able to show up and be ready to play on Opening Day, so even if that happens they might start the season with a stint on the DL.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:00 PM, Philip said:

I don’t see the appeal. Our team is loaded with outfielders already, I can’t imagine any asset having very much trade value this year because the season is so tenuous, even if it gets underway.

Even if we do sign him and the season does get underway, potential playoff teams will have such a vast selection of potential trade acquisitions it’s unlikely we would get anything meaningful for him in the best of circumstances.

It is better to focus on our own guys and see what they offer.

I agree with this.  60 games is basically going to be an extended spring training.  The only reason to not give guys like Diaz a shot are if you're trying to not use the year of service time.  I'd still rather attempt to develop the younger players than bring in a headcase like Puig.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I’m confused about Smith and Santander.

Dan Connolly wrote an Athletic article using the words “no show” about them. 

Not in camp would lead me to believe that they are quarantined maybe because of family member. Or, they could both have tested positive and recovering at home. Since MLB is going at depth to allow the players to stay under the radar.

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well we're not a contending club so I'm not sure what you're worried about, Chief. 

If the guy loses focus and is lazy while playing for a contender, even in the playoffs.

It leads me to suspect he will be worse here.

We pretty much burned Manny at the stake for not running to first a few times over his career.

This guy takes it to a whole new lack of effort play.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If the guy loses focus and is lazy while playing for a contender, even in the playoffs.

We pretty much burned Manny at the stake for not running to first a few times over his career.

How will that play out in a shortened season? Would be be less likely to lose focus? Particularly after what was likely a humbling offseason where he didn't get nearly the attention he expected. Of course, one could also argue the lack of fans could help him lose interest.

Camden Yards is quite the favorable park. He could get off to a hot start.

All in all, I'm okay with adding him, but am fine with passing, too.

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

How will that play out in a shortened season? Would be be less likely to lose focus? Particularly after what was likely a humbling offseason where he didn't get nearly the attention he expected. Of course, one could also argue the lack of fans could help him lose interest.

Camden Yards is quite the favorable park. He could get off to a hot start.

All in all, I'm okay with adding him, but am fine with passing, too.

Nelson Cruz lost a World Series, was an admitted steroid user, had been suspended, and cost a high draft pick. I still liked Nelly.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Looking at that video, I dont think it's fair to say that he has a lack of hustle. Puig might make some boneheaded base running mistakes but he's always been pretty aggressive. 

Edited by Anonsnides
Embed didnt work

6 minutes ago, Anonsnides said:

Looking at that video, I dont think it's fair to say that he has a lack of hustle. Puig might make some boneheaded base running mistakes but he's always been pretty aggressive. 

http://www.snacktimefantasy.com/puig-benched-for-not-hustling/

http://twinsdaily.com/blog/1281/entry-11640-should-we-be-upset-with-yasiel-puig/

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/15713907/yasiel-puig-los-angeles-dodgers-benched-not-running-deep-fly-ball

There are many many more,

But, You get the idea.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Okay, so even if he isn't the best hustler or grinder out there, there's still no downside to signing him.  You sign him for the 60 game season: at best, you get something for him on August 31 (maybe you can steal a top 15 prospect from someone desperate) and Diaz comes in and assumes his role.  At worst, he provides some entertainment, takes at bats away from the likes of Dwight Smith and maybe DJ Stewart, and he's onto bigger and better things for 2021.  

• Upvote 1