Fangraphs on Iglesias’ offense

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hyde suggests he might bat Iglesias 6th.    
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-jose-iglesias-is-an-oriole-and-the-six-hole-fits-him-like-a-glove/

Another section of the same column has some quotes from O’Day about Britton.   

Is O'Day taking a shot at Britton there?  Because that would be hilarious.

• Upvote 1

For Hyde to say that Iglesias should bat  sixth tells me one thing.   The O's batting order is so bad that a hitter with a career 315 OBP should hit sixth,  it just expressing that he has no one better.   Iglesias OBP was .318 in 2019 and .310 the season before.    In a good lineup he bats 9th and is on the field for his glove.  

I expect no real change for his career average this coming season.  Not at 30 years old.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

For Hyde to say that Iglesias should bat  sixth tells me one thing.   The O's batting order is so bad that a hitter with a career 315 OBP should hit sixth,  it just expressing that he has no one better.   Iglesias OBP was .318 in 2019 and .310 the season before.    In a good lineup he bats 9th and is on the field for his glove.  

I expect no real change for his career average this coming season.  Not at 30 years old.

He's going to talk him up. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That seems like a rather odd stat for you to cite to question why Iglesias should bat 6th.   OBP by batting order position in the AL in 2019):

5th: .321

6th: .321

7th: .307

8th: .306

9th: .287

Based on that, a .315 OBP in the 6th slot is below average, but not terrible.  .315 would have been 10th in the AL in the 6th spot last year, instead of .303 and 14th, which is where the Orioles were.     

A much bigger question would be Iglesias’ low SLG for the 6th slot — .407 last year (.371 career) for Iglesias overall, compared to .432 in the 6th slot for the AL.   Iglesias’ SLG  would have been 11th in the AL in the 6th spot, ahead of the Orioles’ 12th (.401).     

My point is that Iglesias is not known for his bat.  To project him as a 6 hole batter says that the guys that are 7-9 are not up to batting that high.  That would be Ruiz, Severino and whoever is the 3rd outfielder.   While Hyde may be right it doesn't sound very good.

19 hours ago, wildcard said:

My point is that Iglesias is not known for his bat.  To project him as a 6 hole batter says that the guys that are 7-9 are not up to batting that high.  That would be Ruiz, Severino and whoever is the 3rd outfielder.   While Hyde may be right it doesn't sound very good.

Yeah but you got your "point" mixed up. Your original point was that Iglesias shouldn't bat sixth because his career OBA is .315. It's not a matter of his OBA. It's not a matter of Iglesias not being known for his bat. Nor is it a matter of "the O's batting order is so bad that a hitter with a career 315 OBP should hit sixth." (emphasis: mine). If his slugging was .475, Iglesias and his .315 OBA would be a perfectly reasonable 6th-hole hitter.

Meanwhile, Iglesias' .371 lifetime SP is higher than Ruiz's and Severino's. 

I doubt Iglesias will hit sixth in many games.

• Like 1