Is the 30 man roster set?

wildcard

Barring a waiver wire acquisition by Elias which could happen, the roster looks pretty set to me.

Starters: (5)  Means, Cobb, LeBlanc, Milone, Wojo  or Stewart

Pen: (11) Harvey, Givens, Bleier, Castro, Scott, Carroll, Sulser, Armstrong, Fry, Phillips, (Milone, Wojo or Stewart)

Lineup:  (9) 1B: Davis, 2B: Alberto,  SS: Iglesias,  3B: Ruiz,   LF: Stewart,  CF:Hays,  RF: Santander, Ca: Severino, DH: Nunez

Bench: (5) Sisco, Andrew Velazquez, Valiaka, Wilkerson, Wynns 

Urias DFA'd to make room.

Wilkerson and Wynns the most vulnerable to be replaced by call ups.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Barring a waiver wire acquisition by Elias which could happen, the roster looks pretty set to me.

Pen: (11) Harvey, Givens, Bleier, Castro, Scott, Carroll, Sulser, Armstrong, Fry, Phillips, (Milone, Wojo or Stewart)

Lineup:  (9) 1B: Davis, 2B: Alberto,  SS: Iglesias,  3B: Ruiz,   LF: Stewart,  CF:Hays,  RF: Santander, Ca: Severino, DH: Nunez

That's probably pretty close.  I could see Mason Williams sneaking into a bench role over Wilkerson.  I could also see someone like Hess/Eshelman/Sheppard over Phillips.

It could be either Wynns or Holoday as the 3rd catcher, with the other being with the team as the “Taxi Squad” guy the whole season.

I won’t put much stock in the pitching. I see them rotating them around a bit as I think the bullpen will be used a lot with starters going shorter.

Wilkerson will make the team. Williams is probably a Taxi Squad Player.

Looks good.  I also think Chandler Shepherd could/should make the bullpen.  He looked pretty solid making his MLB debut with us last season and he can make a spot start when needed.  If you take out his worst outing, he had a 4.50 ERA in 2020.  He also allowed no runs in his two Spring Training outings earlier this year.  Small sample sizes, but I think he's got potential to be a solid middle reliever or #5 starter type guy.

• Upvote 1

Mason William was not part of the 44 for ST 2.0 and he is not on the 40 man roster.  Makes me think he does not make OD.   

Shepherd in not on the 40 man either.  

That is the edge the Wynns has over Holaday.

If they add these non roster players they have to DFA someone.    I am thinking they don't want to lose players to begin the season with COVID and injury problems to deal with.

4 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

That's probably pretty close.  I could see Mason Williams sneaking into a bench role over Wilkerson.  I could also see someone like Hess/Eshelman/Sheppard over Phillips.

If We do not have anybody who is better than Hess, then we are in bad shape indeed.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It could be either Wynns or Holoday as the 3rd catcher, with the other being with the team as the “Taxi Squad” guy the whole season.

I won’t put much stock in the pitching. I see them rotating them around a bit as I think the bullpen will be used a lot with starters going shorter.

Wilkerson will make the team. Williams is probably a Taxi Squad Player.

I think Williams is a taxi squad option. I'm not sure the need for a catcher on the taxi squad to start the year if we are rostering three, but when the roster shrinks we likely go down to two catchers with one on the taxi squad.

31 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I think Williams is a taxi squad option. I'm not sure the need for a catcher on the taxi squad to start the year if we are rostering three, but when the roster shrinks we likely go down to two catchers with one on the taxi squad.

Rules require a catcher on the Taxi Squad.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

FWIW, Roch was saying that Mullins is starting to play his way onto the roster in one of his recent articles. 

He's on the 40 man and I could see them wanting to have an outfielder on the bench. 

I think Andrew Velazquez has a good chance of backup SS/2B/CF and maybe the corner OF but he does not hit much.  Wilkerson hit well vs righties last year (783 OPS) and he can backup the outfield corners plus several infield spots.  Valiaka can also play some corner IF.   

If those three are on the team I don't think Mullins makes the OD 30 man roster.   He didn't hit well last season above AA.   And is not as versatile as Velazquez.   His pluses are he is on the 40 man, he can run and field.   Its that bat that may keep him in Bowie to begin the season IMO.   But who knows.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Has Phillips pitched much in intrasquad games?   I haven't seen his name mentioned much.   Remember he was hurt in spring camp.  He was added to the 60 man two days later than most other guys, and at the time Hyde said he will pitch a bullpen session "in a few days" and noted that he is a little behind the rest of the players.    And I don't think he's even been mentioned in Roch & company's intrasquad game writeups.