Is the 30 man roster set?

wildcard

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have not heard that Means will not pitch on opening day yet.   He could pitch a side session and they determine  he is a go for OD  or not.    Kohl Stewart's start on Tuesday is big for him.  It could determine if he makes the team or is optioned. 

Eshelman and/or Valdez may be in consideration to be added to the team to either add a starter or to add length in the pen depending on how Means and Stewart do.

Wynns, Urias and/or  Hector Velazquez could be DFA's if the O's need room on the 40 man roster.  There are currently 39 on the 40 man roster.   If a player is DFA'd from the 40 man roster and clears waivers he can still remain on the 60 man roster.

Valiaka appears to be earning a spot on the bench and he is not on the 40 man.  Wilkerson injury could get him sent to Bowie if he is not ready for OD.  No IL stay required since he is non rostered.

Herrera is playing well but is still on the outside looking in.   He could be an injury replacement if needed but otherwise he goes to Bowie.    Mountcastle's ability to hit and play both 1B and LF duplicates what Herrera does  and could affect Herrera being added to the 40 man  roster.   O's would not want to add Herrera and then have to DFA someone to add Mountcastle in a week.

All comments are JMO.

I’m not saying he will not, I just don’t know why other than the prestige of starting on Opening Day you would want to push Means. I hope he is fine and ready to go, not saying that. 

Either way I just can’t see them not keeping Eshelman at this point. He is stretched out and ready to go. 

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think to start, they will. Just a matter of Wynns or Holoday, probably.

I wonder if they see him as someone that can be an “opener,” spot start, or long man role?

If they do keep 3 catchers and keep 16 arms I think the bench is Sisco, Wynns/Holaday- my guess Wynns, Velazquez, Valiaka and Mullins. 

We know many of these guys are not players you fret over getting claimed if they are let go. I know some of these guys need to be added to the 40 man but that should not be an issue. 

14 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder if they see him as someone that can be an “opener,” spot start, or long man role?

I'm curious how he would do as the the guy who follows the opener.  Say you had someone like Tanner Scott throwing 97 pitch the first two innings and then bring in Eshelman only throwing 86 to face the bottom of the lineup and the next turn through 

14 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t see why you would carry three catchers especially when you also have to carry one on the taxi squad.  I can’t see any reason to have 4 guys of the 30+ to be catchers.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Very True

Maybe they don’t consider Sisco as a good option behind the plate?

Or, incase something like what happened in Kansas City happens where the starter and backup test positive.

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Maybe they don’t consider Sisco as a good option behind the plate?

Or, incase something like what happened in Kansas City happens where the starter and backup test positive.

I dont consider Sisco a good option behind the plate.

Only 1 DH, and too many options.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm curious how he would do as the the guy who follows the opener.  Say you had someone like Tanner Scott throwing 97 pitch the first two innings and then bring in Eshelman only throwing 86 to face the bottom of the lineup and the next turn through 

Heat to a slow throwing, is a good way to disrupt the batter's timing.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Heat to a slow throwing, is a good way to disrupt the batter's timing.

Is it?

Has anyone ever checked to see if this is actually true or just something that gets tossed around as a fact?

I don't mean in the context of one plate appearance, I mean as is presented here, one pitcher throwing hard for the first six batters and another pitcher throwing slower following him.

Does it make the second pitcher more effective? 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

Has anyone ever checked to see if this is actually true or just something that gets tossed around as a fact?

I don't mean in the context of one plate appearance, I mean as is presented here, one pitcher throwing hard for the first six batters and another pitcher throwing slower following him.

Stevie threw a top speed of 55 mph. Seemed to mess with the timing pretty well.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

Go back in time, and I remember the Orioles manager, moving his guys around, so heat, didnt throw back to back with heat and vice versa. 

I also remember, Oriole throwing soft tossers like Moyer at somebody and then bringing heat from the pen, and watching them wave at air.

But you are right, if its only six hitters and then pitcher change, really doesnt matter.