What a bunch of sad-sack losers

Frobby

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't they be allowed to enjoy the fruits of their season-long labor, even if it lasts only 4 playoff games? Why take that away from them? There is still time after the playoffs to call them up.

Let them enjoy the fruits of their labor by living their dream and being a big leaguer.

And, guess what, they weren't called up after the playoffs either.

how can anyone think 100 AB's from Payton and Millar in Sept when the team is a billion games out of the race are worth the same as 100 AB's from Wieters and Reimold. Did we learn anything about Payton and Millar we didn't already know? Are they any more part of our future then they were in July?

Do you think 100 AB's for Wieters and Reimold would have at least helped them get past the first MLB experience jitters?

Yeah, if it was up to me, I would prefer to sign the scouting department from Tampa rather than signing Tex.

Funny, Tampa is doing pretty well without Tex. Maybe that whole "development of drafted talent" might have something to do with winning after all.

It would seem that Boston does just fine with their perennial status as 30th overall pick, taking guys like Lowrie (45th), Ellsbury (23rd), Buchholz (42nd).

And the Angels are the best example. 24 of their past 30 first round picks have played in the Major Leagues. Only 7 of those were picked in the top ten.

I don't see any correlation to winning and Mark Teixeira. (eg Atlanta, Texas)

So yeah, despite your sarcasm, I would much rather have the Tampa Bay farm system than Mark Teixeira.

Going into the season, I always expected Millar and Payton to be flat out cut or benched if they weren't traded by the end of August. I sort of understand not doing so with Millar since there's really nobody that he's holding back, but I'm really disappointed that Payton is still seeing time. Montanez and Reimold should be getting those at bats. Payton is clearly not a part of our future and the other guys clearly have a shot to be a big part of our future.

I don't feel the same way about our AA pitchers as I do about LF. That's my only real disappointment about the personnel management this September.

2 things: 1) I don't see why bringing up the AA players after the playoffs would be a problem. They could have had their chance at MiL glory and gotten their feet wet.

2) I think this finish puts a lie to the idea of great clubhouse guys like Millar. If the whole team is tanking then the leaders in the clubhouse, as well as Trembley, need to shoulder some of the blame. If Trembley was satisfied to play out the season, I don't think he'd be calling for bunts and looking uptight.

...Weiters is also a different story entirely. If you're purely thinking about who's ready and starting his development, yes, he should have been starting on the big club by August. However, I personally wouldn't promote him even by opening day unless he indicates he's willing to sign an extension. The business side is just too risky with Weiters to be anything but deliberate.

I can't contain myself anymore. The disgraceful performance of this team in Yankee Stadium this weekend, and the pathetic display they have put on for the last five weeks (not to mention the pathetic performance in 6 of the last 7 years from mid-August on) just makes me nauseous.

Where the hell is the life and pride in this team? I'm embarassed to root for them.

When the pitching was getting shelled every day, frankly that was easier to take. But our offense has been maudlin this month. They really look like they can't wait for the season to end.

I had expected a lot more from this team. Remember all that talk about how resilient this group was earlier in the year? How resilient are they looking now?

There is no other team in baseballl that lays down every September like this. Not the Royals, not the Pirates, not the Nationals. Not one team.

So go ahead and tell yourselves that this is actually a good thing because we are getting a higher draft pick. In my opinion, it sucks.

Come to the DARK SIDE Frobby!:D

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70474&page=2

This thread vents a lot of frustration but it has very little to do with reality.

Fact is - that the O's are sending 4 rookies and a twice failed 2nd year man to start their September games. Its pretty hard for the veterans to hit went they have one hand over their nose from the stink of the pitching.

Are we really going to measure the players on this team by what they did after they were 10-15 games out? After MacPhail sent a very clear signal that it was about the future and not winning now with the trade of Bradford?

I think September for a team that is way out of it is about the auditions. About getting to see Montanez and Salazar while Payton and Millar sit. (That has happened you know). About seeing what Mickilio, McCrory, Miller, Simon and Bass had. And even if Miller is the only one that looks even close to ready to help next year, - we had to find out.

I can't always watch the games in September and it is upsetting to spend good money to see poor games, but when the year unfolds like this one did from July on, September is a time to try some different people and see what happens. And if the regulars are not very motatived and some like Payton, Millar and Ramon know they have one foot out the door, then the play on the field is going to be pretty weak at times. That is just human nature.

If you want to know what the veterans are putting up with just look at the DL- Guthrie, Johnson, Albers, DCab, Loewen, Sarfate, Ray, Baez, Hoey, -that's crazy. Watch Melvin wince when he makes a quick move for a grounder and see that his range in 1/3 of what it was a month ago. Understand that Sherrill is not in game shape. Now realize that the players know all this. And live with it everyday.

Reality Bites.

They should have just called up the entire Bowie roster after the playoffs were over and let them play. I would bet they could at least win 7 of 32 games, why because they would have wanted to there and they would have felt like they had something to prove. I look at the current team and the majority of them seem to be going through the motions. If I worked at my job on Monday - Wednesday and then mailed it in on Thursday and Friday I would be in the unemployment line fairly quickly, too bad that doesn't happen to some of these guys. Their paycheck is for 162 games and they should give 100% for all 162.

Here is why I don't buy it. Tampa has been playing in our division for the last six years, and until 2008 they have finsihed behind us ever year. They also play a year-end schedule that is largely against the other AL East teams.

Rays, 1st 122 games, 2002-07: 288-344, .393, 156 games below .500

Rays, final 40 games, 2002-07: 94-144, .393, 50 games below .500

Orioles, 1st 122 games, 2002-07: 344-388, .470, 44 games below .500

Orioles, final 40 games, 2002-07: 85-155, .354, 70 games below .500

The Rays from 2002-07 managed to play at the same level over the last 40 games that they did the rest of the season. Look at the Orioles by comparision.

And by the way, were not going to reach the lofty .354 mark over our last 40 games this year, unless we go 6-1 this week.

Yeah, there is really no excuse for the way the team has plays down the stretch. We've almost had a complete roster turnover and 4 managers in this timeframe and besides 2004 the same thing keep happening. I'm just trying to come up with a why and I think the psychology plays a huge part along with the other things like injuries and lack of organizational depth. Still, the annual collapse probably shouldn't be as bad as it is and in that regard I share your frustration and pain.

This thread vents a lot of frustration but it has very little to do with reality.

Fact is - that the O's are sending 4 rookies and a twice failed 2nd year man to start their September games. Its pretty hard for the veterans to hit went they have one hand over their nose from the stink of the pitching.

WC, in part you are correct that I am just venting. Part of my frustration is that we lost games by 3-2, 3-2 and 1-0 on this road trip. Yes, we actually got good pitching three days in a row, and we did nothing with it. In fact, we've had good pitching in 5 of the last 7 games, for the first time in a long time.

It is the offense that has me ticked off. I have no problem with the Salazar and Montanez tryouts, and those players have done just fine. In fact, Salazar's hitting .308/.449/.564 this month, best on the team, and is 2nd in RBI this month. But as nacedir pointed out, pretty much every regular on the team has an OPS that is 100+ points below his season average in September. And while I've said myself that it's hard to hit when the pitchers aren't keeping you in the games, for the last week the pitchers have been doing their jobs, and the offense has been asleep at the wheel.

Archived