Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

58 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I hope I am wrong.  I have been in a good mood since Saturday almost entirely because of the fun series win in Boston.  It's just, if the Marlins had it, and were in the Phillies visiting clubhouse, the Phillies are not all at risk too, and it's a domino effect.  You would think they have to cancel the Yankees Phillies game tonight too.

As of about 5 minutes ago

52 minutes ago, esmd said:

So if the season WERE to end from this and the O's don't play any other games.....could the O's declare themselves 2020 AL East Champions?  Asking for a friend.....

Alphabetically!

I am not quite ready to say the season will be canceled.  And in fact, I probably will never say it or think it until it actually happens.  And if it does, so be it.  While the last 5 or so months of life have been one huge disappointment and let down after another, I would rather just wait to see what happens as opposed to trying to forecast the future.  As with anything, we shall see.  Go Os.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's not how it works.

60 player pool = all of your "minor leagues" for 2020. From that, you still have a 40-man roster. From THAT, you have a 30-man active game roster and a 3-man taxi squad. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Gotcha. But if the plan is to play baseball this year, MLB might have to be flexible with things like the 40 man roster and service time. 

21 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

You would think that MLB has a contingency plan if something like this happened. They should open the book to what ever page that plan is on and proceed accordingly. There is no way they could not have a plan for something like this.

There were only a small handful of posters on here that even wanted to consider the what-ifs of an outbreak like this.  The impact on scheduling was the thing I could never jive given an outbreak of this kind.   There are going to be more positives on the Marlins, mark that... probably the Phillies too.  So when you basically take a team or two or three out of the schedule for a period of time it screws every thing else up.  There's really no way to plan for that other than to let it happen and attempt to deal with it on the fly. 

MLB has still made no comment on their website about cancellations etc. that I've seen in the last few minutes or this morning for that matter.