Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

The Athletic has a new article up, quoting an epidemiologist who thinks the Marlins and Phillies should be shut down for at least five days, and that bringing the Marlins to Baltimore would be crazy. Not sure how feasible that is with a 60 game in 66 day schedule. I think the chances of the Phillies shutting down beyond today without extensive positive tests is close to zero.

Based on existing literature, the incubation period for COVID-19 ranges from two to 14 days. Binney said that both the Marlins and Phillies should be shut down for at least five days.

Under the makeshift plan, the non-infected Marlins players would take a bus from Philadelphia to Baltimore, and members of the team’s 60-player pool would replace those who had tested positive.

“This is absolutely insane … if possible, the literal stupidest possible plan,” Binney said on Twitter. “You have a raging outbreak, anyone in the Marlins traveling party could be infected regardless of how their tests come back. So by all means, just bring that on the road to Baltimore!”

We are at a crossroads here, didn't think we would get here this soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

It is "usually caused by a viral infection".   (Source:  Mayo Clinic Web Site)

There have been cases recorded where Covid-19 has caused it.   (Source:  NIH).   Article mentions that it is caused by both the virus and the immune system's reponse to it.   Article cites an early study that said that up to 7% of the deaths from C-19 may have included myocarditis, although it cautions there are several flaws in the methodology of that study (some flaws would make the true # go up, some would make it go down).

He just was positive for Covid-19 earlier this month, and had symptom , and now he has it.

Does that guarantee that it caused it?    No, but it seems pretty darn likely.  

I’m not sure why I have to say this again, but I will say it again. I wasn’t saying there was no connection, I wasn’t saying that no connection with Likely. I was saying we did not know. Apparently, The connection has been established, so yes, it is probable but not definite that E-Rod Got one as a result of the other.

But it’s best to err on the side of caution.

That was kind of irrelevant to the subject, which is whether baseball can continue without A pretty drastic rethinking of the system, and complaining that these problems were not anticipated or planned for. I realize that Manfred is just a shill for the owners, but he needs to go.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Sounds like tomorrow's game is officially canceled (not being played in Baltimore as was thought to be a possibility).

Cancelled or postponed?  C’mon we’re talking about two teams here with a combined .667 winning percentage.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Sounds like tomorrow's game is officially canceled (not being played in Baltimore as was thought to be a possibility).

Guess we'll have to play a doubleheader in Miami the day after the season if it matters for the playoffs.

• Like 1

Although I think the risks are many times greater to teammates infecting one another rather than infecting the other team, that doesn't mean I think the Marlins should play the Orioles.

If they play at all and there are one or two latent infected players, they could have a second outbreak rendering them unable to play for a much longer period of time.

Shutting down the Marlins for 5+ days seems to be the best plan for hoping to maintain a season.

Perhaps shifting another team's schedule to come to Baltimore on Wednesday and Thursday so two teams miss 2 games (the Orioles and the team the shifted team was supposed to play) rather than one team (the Orioles) missing 4 games. From a competitive balance standpoint, this would be logical, the Orioles get hosed missing out on playing a lousy team regardless. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Sounds like tomorrow's game is officially canceled (not being played in Baltimore as was thought to be a possibility.)

o

I'm going to be optimistic, and will start a game thread for Wednesday's contest ........ I'm not necessarily banking on the game being played, just hoping that it will be.

P.S. )  On the ESPN television screen, they are using the words "postponed" instead of "canceled" for tonight's and tomorrow's game ........ I'm not sure if that necessarily means that they plan on making those games up, but I thought that it was interesting.

o

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Perhaps shifting another team's schedule to come to Baltimore on Wednesday and Thursday so two teams miss 2 games (the Orioles and the team the shifted team was supposed to play) rather than one team (the Orioles) missing 4 games. From a competitive balance standpoint, this would be logical, the Orioles get hosed missing out on playing a lousy team regardless. 

So do the Marlins! ?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The obvious team to shift out would be the Yankees, who had the first of their 4 game home and home series against the Phillies canceled tonight.

If the Phillies have positive tests and/or the Marlins have several more positive tests, this would be the most logical move in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's should forfeit due to safety concerns.

#RaceForRocker.

Interesting point. I don't think it is a given that the Orioles will be willing to play on Wednesday, nor that it is a given that the state will allow the Marlins in.