Doubleheaders this season will be 7-inning games

MurphDogg

I believe when the minors play 7 inning games the starter only has to go 4 to qualify for a win.

So it will be yet another first probably.  We've already had the first ever 2 run HR to lead off an inning, now we might have the first starter ever to get a win going less than 5 innings.

• Upvote 1

Either go all in with full games or end the season. This season of sports just feels like a bunch of exhibition games, it just doesn’t have the same feel.. what a depressing year this has all been. If only there was normalcy in sight, who knows when that will happen again. 

• Upvote 1

I said this in another thread but it fits here...In a season that is already on the brink of collapse, with 7 inning double headers and runners on second in extra innings that resembles beer league softball, this would have been the time to start testing out computer aided strike zones.  But alas, I'm just glad to have baseball back, in whatever form we have.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cuts down on bullpen use since teams have a smaller potential pool of pitchers to pull from.

Since we're putting imaginary runners on second base and shortening games, why not just eliminate the pitching staffs entirely this season and put the ball on a tee?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MDK02 said:

Either go all in with full games or end the season. This season of sports just feels like a bunch of exhibition games, it just doesn’t have the same feel.. what a depressing year this has all been. If only there was normalcy in sight, who knows when that will happen again. 

I'm an atheist but this needs to be said.  This season is an abomination before God and all that is holy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If they're just worried about time, just go to my 10th inning homerun derby idea that parallels the NHL's ot shootout system.  7 innings sounds so minor leagish.       

Hard enough to get fans to attend 9 inning games, but 8 hours of 2 games.

It does sound minor leagish, but Im ok with them trying something new.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Hard enough to get fans to attend 9 inning games, but 8 hours of 2 games.

It does sound minor leagish, but Im ok with them trying something new.

I gottanother idea to shorten the game:  limit the number of pitches per at bat to 10.  Some people will say, Meh, it'll just same the time of a few of pitches a game, because very few at bats go over 10.  But no... I think it'll get batters to be more aggressive - so they don't have to worry about reaching that 10th pitch - also reducing pitches per at bat.  Additionally, that will also reduce walks a little bit - reducing base-runners, which will reduce the time of a game.  All 3 of those effects together can make a difference.  It would also add some tension and excitement when a player reaches that 10th pitch.    

14 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I gottanother idea to shorten the game:  limit the number of pitches per at bat to 10.  Some people will say, Meh, it'll just same the time of a few of pitches a game, because very few at bats go over 10.  But no... I think it'll get batters to be more aggressive - so they don't have to worry about reaching that 10th pitch - also reducing pitches per at bat.  Additionally, that will also reduce walks a little bit - reducing base-runners, which will reduce the time of a game.  All 3 of those effects together can make a difference.  It would also add some tension and excitement when a player reaches that 10th pitch.    

A novel approach, but almost reminds me of girls rec league softball rules. lol