The extra inning runner on 2B rule

Frobby

Do you like the extra inning runner on 2B rule?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the extra inning runner on 2B rule?

21 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Speaking as a long time Hockey fan....ties are the worst. You just don't feel right after watching a long game with no resolution. 

As a long time soccer fan I think ties are perfectly fine.  Many times it feels like the right outcome when neither team did what it needed to win.  And often a tie is a great result for a lesser team.  Imagine the O's salvaging a tie with the Yanks... haha we started a guy you thought retired in 2014 and we still managed a draw!

The Chris Davis game was great, but it was six or seven hours and the result came down to our first baseman being a slightly better pitcher than their left fielder.

The Japanese Leagues have had ties forever and the world keeps spinning.

20 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I hate the runner at second to start the inning, but would MUCH prefer that to ending in ties. Of course, I'd prefer to just play until it ends whether that's 9 innings, 12 innings of 20 innings. 

Besides, remember the uproar about the All-Star game ending in a tie back in the day? And that was just an exhibition. 

I always assumed the "uproar" over the tied All Star game was manufactured by the countless sports talk shows that needed material.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You’ve got this wrong.  The runner is whoever made the last out in the previous inning.    

LOL, tells you how close I pay attention to baseball these day

Last out makes much more sense, but I still don't like the rule

Wonder if anyone keeps track of the illegitimate runs scored by guys awarded 1B. Kinda of destroys the sanctity of baseball statistics unless they were to assign that run scored to a team run. I guess same as scoring after reaching on an error.. but different.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

LOL, tells you how close I pay attention to baseball these day

Last out makes much more sense, but I still don't like the rule

Wonder if anyone keeps track of the illegitimate runs scored by guys awarded 1B. Kinda of destroys the sanctity of baseball statistics unless they were to assign that run scored to a team run. I guess same as scoring after reaching on an error.. but different.

I know for the pitcher they treat it as an unearned run.   But you’re right, it seems a bit silly to credit the runner with a run scored when he did nothing to earn his way on base, and in fact was out the previous inning.