They are who we thought they were!

Moose Milligan

27 minutes ago, Win Column said:

I love winning as much as the next person, but I'd kind of like these guys to make up their minds. Are we aiming for Why Not '2(.)0, or are we all in on the Quest for Kumar?

Drafting, like, 12th would be disastrous for us.

Why?   We drafted 2nd and got the 10th best player this year according to a lot of ratings.

I'm rooting for the team to win and not worry about chasing high draft picks.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why?   We drafted 2nd and got the 10th best player this year according to a lot of ratings.

I'm rooting for the team to win and not worry about chasing high draft picks.   

That's too simplistic.  Even if that's true (and I think it's basically true), having the slot money for drafting 2nd still was a very big asset that they took advantage of.  It may or may not work out, but it made a big difference in what they were able to do later in the draft.  It's very important to have a high pick, imo - regardless of the fact that they could screw it up.   

19 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That's too simplistic.  Even if that's true (and I think it's basically true), having the slot money for drafting 2nd still was a very big asset that they took advantage of.  It may or may not work out, but it made a big difference in what they were able to do later in the draft.  It's very important to have a high pick, imo - regardless of the fact that they could screw it up.   

We've had so many valid pointsade in this thread about how the vast majority of draft picks don't make it and now you are going to try to convince me that it's super critical to draft a few spots higher?

Doesn't add up.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

We've had so many valid pointsade in this thread about how the vast majority of draft picks don't make it and now you are going to try to convince me that it's super critical to draft a few spots higher?

Doesn't add up.

The #1 pick has had a 20 rWAR career 23 times. 

For #2-5 it’s 14, 8, 10, 8. 

#1 improves your odds quite a bit. I imagine it’s similar if you look for like 10 WAR guys. Not sure about, say, picks 6 vs 10 or something, don’t feel like doing it.

I thought to myself, here we have a nice abbreviated season - I can just enjoy the fact that we have baseball and I have no expectations, so it will be short and sweet and enjoyable and they won't embarrass me.

And then they go and get swept in a 4-game series to maybe the most cobbled-together roster in recent memory.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

Doesn't add up.

Maybe this'll make sense to you:  The draft is much less of a crapshoot at the top of the first round than it it is at the bottom.  Baby steps.  

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I thought to myself, here we have a nice abbreviated season - I can just enjoy the fact that we have baseball and I have no expectations, so it will be short and sweet and enjoyable and they won't embarrass me.

And then they go and get swept in a 4-game series to maybe the most cobbled-together roster in recent memory.  

That's what makes it worse for me. The Marlins replaced something like 17 players and had a week or so of not playing. 

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

Doesn't add up.

Super critical may overstate things, but every pick has an expected value (or potential for being good enough to have real value) higher than the next pick.  Every slot gives you more money than the next.  Would you rather have 100 lottery tickets or 80?

7 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Now we almost have to list the most cobbled-together rosters of all time.

#1 is probably the Ty Cobb(led) strike game. :)

Another may be the Orioles' game from July 18, 1902, directly after McGraw skipped town and took Iron Man McGinnity and other with him to the Giants.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Super critical may overstate things, but every pick has an expected value (or potential for being good enough to have real value) higher than the next pick.  Every slot gives you more money than the next.  Would you rather have 100 lottery tickets or 80?

I wouldn't lessen my enjoyment of this season by rooting for the team to lose to get the extra lottery tickets.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Yep.  Same here. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

#1 is probably the Ty Cobb(led) strike game. ) :)

o

Boxer Billy Maharg played in that game ........ the same Billy Maharg whom along with former MLB pitcher "Sleepy" Bill Burns was later involved in the fixing of the 1919 World Series.

Interestingly, during the 1921 Black Sox trial, defense lawyers tried to claim that Billy Maharg was actually a journeyman catcher named Peaches Graham ...... "Maharg" spelled backwards is "Graham."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maharbi01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/grahape01.shtml

During the 24-2 rout/farce, Peaches Graham was riding the bench for the Phillies during a game against the Cardinals in St. Louis ........ evidence that it was not possible that he could have simultaneously been playing under the name "Maharg" in Philadelphia, but some conspiracy theorists would perhaps claim that since he did not play in the game that day (and in fact did not play in ANY games between May 14th and May 20th), that he simply went to Philadelphia to play in the Tigers-Athletics game under an alias since the Tigers were so desperate for players to field a team. 

o

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

I wouldn't lessen my enjoyment of this season by rooting for the team to lose to get the extra lottery tickets.

All analogies only go so far.  The draft lottery tickets are much more likely to hit than a real one.  You probably have a 1-in-3 chance of a the #1 overall pick being a good player, while the #30 is probably more like 1-in-6 or 1-in-10 or something, with the likely difference in value pegged at $10s of millions.