Going for the Sweep (vs. NATIONALS, 8/09)

OFFNY

I have a rules question.

The Nats' lefty reliever walked Sisco and we had a bunch of righties coming up, so he was going to come out of the game when the rain came.   He had faced 3 batters.  He was done.

But SUPPOSE he had only faced two batters?   Would they be required to put him in for one batter after a long rain delay?

When I saw the rule described I don't think I ever heard any exception made for rain.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I have a rules question.

The Nats' lefty reliever walked Sisco and we had a bunch of righties coming up, so he was going to come out of the game when the rain came.   He had faced 3 batters.  He was done.

But SUPPOSE he had only faced two batters?   Would they be required to put him in for one batter after a long rain delay?

When I saw the rule described I don't think I ever heard any exception made for rain.

I was wondering about that too

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I have a rules question.

Can’t see how it would not void it. I mean you can’t bring someone back in after a 2 hour delay. I’m sure it’s in rules somewhere. 

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I have a rules question.

The rule only says the umpire can make an exception for illness or injury of the pitcher at their discretion.  I suppose you can interpret that as meaning they have discretion to think the pitcher would get injured if he was forced to pitch. Maybe there is something specific about rain delays somewhere else in the rules: it’s 5.1g

https://www.umpirebible.com/OBR16/5.0.htm#510

• Upvote 1

Just now, SteveA said:

They had an update a few minutes ago showing dudes trying to dry the field.

But it looked like it still had a lot of drying to be done.

The wide part of the infield between 2nd and 3rd and 1st and 2nd looked really awful. Soupy. Like when you accidentally put an extra cup of water in your oatmeal.

• Upvote 1