It's time for the OH to turn the page

wildcard

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, stranger things have happened.  Not unusual to see relievers succeed out of nowhere but we have a total of 15 innings this year between 2 players, who have had zero ML success despite being older, and we are already penciling them into future BPs?  

I just don’t see the logic there.  You can be happy with what you see out of them without going overboard about their future prospects within the organization.

They can throw strikes. Their pitches have good movement.  Hyde is showing faith in both players.  Hyde is using Sulser as a closer which shows he will give him every chance. Lakins is not that old.  He just turned 26 on June 26th.   In baseball terms this is his age 25th season.

Love the enthusiasm, and I really hope Wildcard is right, but until the legit starting pitchers start making their way to the roster and prove they are MLB starters, then I think it is premature to say that we've "turned the corner".  I'm completely down for making the playoffs this year though! Let's do it. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Yes I did have a typo with Hardy but he was twice the player back then that Iglesias is now....  Hays matching Jones’ production would be welcome.

If all this pans out then Elias built a championship roster off waiver claims.  

And MacPhail traded Brett Jacobson and James Hoey for Hardy.  That is basically a wire claim.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know you won't provide any evidence to support this assertion but maybe you could ask someone else to?  I'd be really interested since I've never seen any evidence that is how things work.

If you don't know that if a team has a group of good hitters it makes it hard to pitch around batters, I can't help you.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If you don't know that if a team has a group of good hitters it makes it hard to pitch around batters, I can't help you.

I don't know that.  You don't know that.  You assume that.

The studies I've seen, and I have seen studies, don't show much much of an effect.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know that.  You don't know that.  You assume that.

The studies I've seen, and I have seen studies, don't show much much of an effect.

Go fight with Drungo

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I mean, players definitely improve when you surround them with better players.  They would have anyway, but putting better players around them didn't sabotage the development.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They can throw strikes. Their pitches have good movement.  Hyde is showing faith in both players.  Hyde is using Sulser as a closer which shows he will give him every chance. Lakins is not that old.  He just turned 26 on June 26th.   In baseball terms this is his age 25th season.

He’s not old but he has also accomplished nothing in the majors until now.  That’s not normal.

Hyde doesn’t have much of a choice but to use these guys.  That doesn’t really mean anything.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not old but he has also accomplished nothing in the majors until now.  That’s not normal.

Hyde doesn’t have much of a choice but to use these guys.  That doesn’t really mean anything.

Larkins didn't have Holt coaching him until now.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:39 AM, Dipper9 said:
On 8/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, TINSTAAPP said:

ago?

Yes, but our pitching was very good in that series.  The bats just went cold.  I'd rather lose low scoring pitching duels than the blowouts from a year ago. 

The Mariners, in the glory days of King Felix, CONSTANTLY lost games 1-0 or 2-1. His ERA was about 1.9, but the Mariner batting average wasn’t much higher.

(I don’t know how many HOF pitchers have such a disparity between personal performance and W-L record, but King Felix will be right up there.)

It does get old, me boy.

our pitching isn’t nearly as good as the Mariners’ and at .248, our team BA isn’t much better than theirs was.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I do still think Givens could gets traded though. I just don't expect a lot in return

He’s not going to get traded unless he gets a lot more innings. Right now he has fewer innings than all but two guys, one of whom is no longer with the team.
Plus, he’s got to show success in high leverage situations again, Otherwise we will be basically giving him away.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Sulser and Lakin are going to be part of the future?

If the future is tomorrow, sure.

Seriously though, Sulser is 30, He’s pre-arbitration, and there’s no reason he can’t give us a couple of good years as a solid reliever.

I do not know enough about Lakins to comment on him, but No reason he can’t do the same.

On the other hand, Carroll, Phillips, Hess, Eshelman, Fry, can all go away today and never be missed.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s true, but he obviously considers them to be the best guys he has available or he would be using the other guys instead. Also, yes yes yes small sample size and all that, but the fact is they are producing.

Certainly remains to be seen whether they will be producing equally well after 15 more innings, But waiver claims are always guys who got pushed out because somebody else was better. That means the guys pushed out of really good systems are not necessarily bad.

Guys we get rid of, yes they’re terrible,( Yaz excepted of course) But getting one of Tampa Bay’s rejects is not a bad thing, even if he is 30. I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just saying that it’s probably not as bleak as you’re suggesting

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it's possible the Orioles see something in these guys that they like and it's possible that they'll thrive with the right coaching and environment and data.

Sulser has had ridiculous K rates in the minors since 2016.  In the old days (10+ years ago) someone with 12 or 14 K/9 in AAA would be tagged as a coming closer.  I don't know how to read that stuff anymore, not with the league K rate at 9, and that guy you just saw looking at motor oil at WalMart strikes out seven per nine.  But 12 K/9 can't be a bad thing.

wildcard could be right in this case, just for the wrong reasons.  He thinks Sulser is awesome because he hasn't allowed a run over his last three games.  Of course that's silly, but whatever.