No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis is not a plus fielder.  I guess in the nebulous world of first base fielding metrics he might have qualified as plus for a season or two but not at this point in history.

In his prime I think he was very, very good at the one particular skill of scooping wild throws.   And also very good at starting at 3-6-3 type DP and making other throws.   His range was probably never much more than average, but I think the scooping ability is pretty important part of the first baseman's responsibilities.

But my observations are he isn't that great at scooping anymore.   He did rifle a nice throw to 3rd to try to nail someone the other day so that skill might still be there.   But otherwise I think he is pretty much below average now.

I would guess that the best defensive first baseman on our roster right now has a last name that begins with V.

But it's hard to take Renato's bat out of a tie game for a defensive replacement.   I know he is bad with the glove.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You've been away too long if you can't tell.

I thought I did a pretty nice job with it.

Heh, evidently I was more subtle than I thought.

How about posting in green font when you're kidding.  I've had trouble telling with you, lately, tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

How about posting in green font when you're kidding.  I've had trouble telling with you, lately, tbh. 

You should have seen him in the game thread today.   He was pretending he didn't like ELO!

Who doesn't like ELO?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So your kidding and actually think it looks good?

Seriously, not everyone would get my reference, so it makes sense to use the font.

Alternatively, I could have corrected your spelling. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

ELO was the third best band Jeff Lynne was in.

Wilbury's were great.  Wish they had been able to play together a bit longer.

Must admit ignorance to the other one.   Went out to Wikipedia, don't know much about Move.

Just now, Ruzious said:

Seriously, not everyone would get my reference, so it makes sense to use the font.

Alternatively, I could have corrected your spelling. 

I've spent pretty much my entire life with people not getting my references.  I made an Archimedes reference in front of four co-workers last month, went 0-4.  I'm used to explaining myself.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Wilbury's were great.  Wish they had been able to play together a bit longer.

Must admit ignorance to the other one.   Went out to Wikipedia, don't know much about Move.

I didn't mean the Move, I dislike them more than I do ELO.

I meant these guys.

They had at least one song I like.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've spent pretty much my entire life with people not getting my references.  I made an Archimedes reference in front of four co-workers last month, went 0-4.  I'm used to explaining myself.

I laughed - can easily picture that. 

Sadly Davis has just lost his swing, confidence, and swagger IMO. He never looks confident to me when they show him at the plate. The fact that he’s making 20+ million per season and producing nothing has to hurt his ego. 

I wish the Orioles and Chris could agree on a buy out that would end his baseball career.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I would bench him permanently and have him serve in a coach type role. Hopefully, that would be painful enough to want to walk away.

I like Davis as much as the next fan. I appreciate his contributions as a player when he was on top of his game. Now he has no baseball skills and to continue this charade is just grand theft.

I know the money is his reason to hang on. But when do you admit that your done and walk away? By the way, I’m not suggesting he retire and forfeit what’s left of his contract. I’m suggesting a compromise.

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I would bench him permanently and have him serve in a coach type role. Hopefully, that would be painful enough to want to walk away.

You want this guy coaching our up and coming players?  I understand that not all teachers of the game were great players.  But, we're talking about Chris Davis here, not Sammy Sosa.  A guy who has had 3-4 good seasons over the course of his career.  I like Chris. But I don't need him coaching future Orioles.