No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

It looks like the manager has come to the same conclusion as the rest of us.  Because of the reasons Frobby has pointed out in this thread he most likely will stay on the roster.  If they end up canceling any more of this year and/or any of next it would mean a significant financial savings.  

I hope Hyde actually sits him for the rest of the season.  Maybe it will cause Davis to reconsider a buyout.

I'm worried Hyde won't have the gumption to not play him at all.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope Hyde actually sits him for the rest of the season.  Maybe it will cause Davis to reconsider a buyout.

Agreed.  He pinch-hit him down one in the ninth the other day.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would he or anyone else take a buyout?  

7 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Why would he or anyone else take a buyout?  

If you were to say to me, Can, I'll pay you 38M to retire at 34.  Or you can get 46M and spend two years dealing with the physical and emotional pressures of sitting at the end of the bench.

If it were me, I'd take the 38M and be done with it.  Especially if I'd already earned more than 140M.

Players have accepted buyouts before, heck some have walked away leaving money on the table.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Nope, not in starting line up.   Thankfully. 

Maybe they are benching for good in hopes he will retire 

said it before ... that’s the approach I’d take.

Many here we’re against it.

Hes stolen plenty of money from the Orioles and produced nothing....if he were any other player he would’ve been released or demoted. 

He probably couldn’t even produce at the AAA level.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you were to say to me, Can, I'll pay you 38M to retire at 34.  Or you can get 46M and spend two years dealing with the physical and emotional pressures of sitting at the end of the bench.

If it were me, I'd take the 38M and be done with it.  Especially if I'd already earned more than 140M.

Players have accepted buyouts before, heck some have walked away leaving money on the table.

This has come up multiple times with Davis.   He was done 2 years ago and wouldn't take a buyout.  I don't think he would take one now.  Although in hindsight the O's saved themselves a good chunk of money if they weren't able to get an aggressive buyout (<90%).  

But I'm not convinced its the money, I think CD still thinks he can somehow be a productive major leaguer.  Or at minimum at least likes actually being on the roster/around the clubhouse/etc.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to admit I was no longer good at my job, even if you offered me 90% of my salary to pound sand, I'd probably want to keep doing what I'm doing, if money wasn't an issue. 

2 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

This has come up multiple times with Davis.   He was done 2 years ago and wouldn't take a buyout.  I don't think he would take one now.  Although in hindsight the O's saved themselves a good chunk of money if they weren't able to get an aggressive buyout (<90%).  

But I'm not convinced its the money, I think CD still thinks he can somehow be a productive major leaguer.  Or at minimum at least likes actually being on the roster/around the clubhouse/etc.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to admit I was no longer good at my job, even if you offered me 90% of my salary to pound sand, I'd probably want to keep doing what I'm doing, if money wasn't an issue. 

I wasn't suggesting it was a likelihood just that an absolute benching might cause him to reconsider.  Honestly we don't even know if ownership would be on board with a buyout.

I guess we are different folks, I'd take the money and go try something else rather then drag everyone else down.

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Maybe they are benching for good in hopes he will retire 

said it before ... that’s the approach I’d take.

Many here we’re against it.

Hes stolen plenty of money from the Orioles and produced nothing....if he were any other player he would’ve been released or demoted. 

He probably couldn’t even produce at the AAA level.

I agree with everything here except insinuating that he stole any money. It's not worth rehashing his signing but it takes two to tango.

• Upvote 2

As long as CD shows up, then he gets paid.  He knows it, Orioles know it.  He too has already no doubt felt as much public ridicule as there is to feel and he hasn’t left. so I suspect his skin is pretty thick.  He can read the Internet as well as the next guy.  He will leave but only if the Orioles pay his deal in full.  That is what I would do if I were him and the Orioles have zero leverage for him to move off that position. 

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed. Presumably he could walk away today with a large percentage (maybe 80%) of his pay, have more money than anybody would ever need, and just not have to deal with it anymore. It has to be a mental struggle failing so much in something where you were once one of the best in the world, being asked about it all the time by reporters, etc. This is why I was never really in favor of outright cutting him since it always seemed reasonable that eventually he'd accept some sort of buyout and the roster spot didn't seem that critical the past few years. It would have helped IMO if we'd simply benched him for the most part like his performance dictated. But the closer we get to the end of the contract the less likely that gets, and the better the O's prospects get the more important the roster spot...

At the same time he's a Boras guy, which seems to say IMO that money matters a lot to him. And on the other hand, he's a pretty charitable guy it seems, and he might feel it's worthwhile to be able to send all those dollars where he wants, rather than where the Angelos family wants. So there are many things possibly at play.

But yeah, it would be totally reasonable for him to leave tonight with an agreement to blow off like 8-20M of what he's owed, it wouldn't surprise me at all even if it's not that likely. But as you said later we don't even know if ownership would be on board with that...

23 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Said this pages ago....

Yeah, I’m not on here much anymore. Partly because it feels like there’s a participation threshold needed in order to post, without being repetitive. I hope nobody has made this point recently....I have no time to check (sarcasm). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bericbnauff said:

If you're not going to use Davis as a pinch hitter for Mullins vs. a RHP in the 7th inning of a tie game, he has no place on the roster.  Holy hell.

Tonight is a good example of how the "but his defense is good" crowd aren't watching the game, either. His defense used to be good. Nowadays he's really nothing special... average 1B at best. His error is one of a multitude of problems that caused us to lose this game, but if he didn't make that error, I think we'd have won.

1 hour ago, bericbnauff said:

If you're not going to use Davis as a pinch hitter for Mullins vs. a RHP in the 7th inning of a tie game, he has no place on the roster.  Holy hell.

Are you suggesting Davis should have been used as a pinch hitter?

2 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Tonight is a good example of how the "but his defense is good" crowd aren't watching the game, either. His defense used to be good. Nowadays he's really nothing special... average 1B at best. His error is one of a multitude of problems that caused us to lose this game, but if he didn't make that error, I think we'd have won.

Nunez doesn't even make the stop, let alone a solid throw. That play was on Severino.

• Upvote 1