Mike Shawaryn DFA'd by Red Sox

wildcard

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I disagree with some of these points.

A 3.82 ERA  as a starter in over 100 IP in AAA puts Shawaryn with more experience than Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, Baumann, and Zimmermann.   His 92 mph fastball put him far faster than Eshelman's 86 mph fastball.   And him being a starter puts him head on Phillips and Carroll.

His two options give him a chance to go to the minors to work with Holt instead of being force to improve while on the 28 man roster. As I said, Holt would have to believe that Shawaryn is someone he could help.

I mean, you need both starters and relievers, so I don't think that necessarily puts him ahead of Phillips and Carroll. Especially because he is seemingly not a very good reliever so his best case scenario is 5th starter.

Eshelman's fastball may not be great but his stats in the minors and majors run laps around Shawaryn's

As for parsing his starting vs. reliever stats, I tend to think that is just statistical noise since relievers typically have a better ERA than starters.

He walked over 4/9 in AAA and his K/BB is under 2, so he was not exactly cleaning up down there. I am not going to dock the experience of the O's guys who would otherwise have a full season of AAA experience this season. It remains to be seen how development will be affected by the minor league pool vs. AAA, but based on their better stats in the lower minors I prefer them to Shawaryn.

44 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I mean, you need both starters and relievers, so I don't think that necessarily puts him ahead of Phillips and Carroll. Especially because he is seemingly not a very good reliever so his best case scenario is 5th starter.

Eshelman's fastball may not be great but his stats in the minors and majors run laps around Shawaryn's

As for parsing his starting vs. reliever stats, I tend to think that is just statistical noise since relievers typically have a better ERA than starters.

He walked over 4/9 in AAA and his K/BB is under 2, so he was not exactly cleaning up down there. I am not going to dock the experience of the O's guys who would otherwise have a full season of AAA experience this season. It remains to be seen how development will be affected by the minor league pool vs. AAA, but based on their better stats in the lower minors I prefer them to Shawaryn.

An average starter is normally worth more than an average reliever. 

Shawaryn seem to do much better as a starter than a reliever.  Some starters are like that.

I am not saying you should dock the O's starters.  But I think its fair to say that experience wise Shawaryn is a season ahead on most of the O's young pitchers. 

Milone, LeBlanc, Wojo  and Eshelman are all 5th starter.  And so are most of he young O's pitchers we have been taking about until the prove differently.  Kremer is a guy I favor to be better than that.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Shawaryn seem to do much better as a starter than a reliever.  Some starters are like that.

I am not saying you should dock the O's starters.  But I think its fair to say that experience wise Shawaryn is a season ahead on most of the O's young pitchers. 

Milone, LeBlanc, Wojo  and Eshelman are all 5th starter.  And so are most of he young O's pitchers we have been taking about until the prove differently.  Kremer is a guy I favor to be better than that.

True, a lot of the O's young guys haven't failed at the ML level yet.

• Upvote 1

Loved watching him as a Terp, and he had a plus slider and solid change up in college. He is fat, looks bigger than 240, and has not developed well in Boston. That said, I would take him over Hess, and he has options this year and next. He would take a 40 man spot, and those might be getting tighter this Winter. Nah, pass.

On 8/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, wildcard said:

I'm not sure what information you're looking at.  Shawaryn has relieved in 35 games in his life, about half in the majors, so from what I'm looking at there's essentially nothing to go on that would lead one to conclude that he's the unusual case of a pitcher who is much better as a starter than a reliever.  On average a pitcher is about a run a game better in relief.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not sure what information you're looking at.  Shawaryn has relieved in 35 games in his life, about half in the majors, so from what I'm looking at there's essentially nothing to go on that would lead one to conclude that he's the unusual case of a pitcher who is much better as a starter than a reliever.  On average a pitcher is about a run a game better in relief.

And in the 35 games relief  appearances he has not pitched well.  He has pitched better as a starter especially at AAA.  Read the OP.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And in the 35 games relief  appearances he has not pitched well.  He has pitched better as a starter especially at AAA.  Read the OP.

Understood.  I'm going to need a lot more than a handful of innings in AAA and breaking into the majors to make lasting judgments.  Others' mileage may vary.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

All I am really saying here is I would rather have Shawaryn on the O's 40 man roster than Cody Carroll.

I don't see much difference.  Both have some positives, but a lot of question marks.  Certainly Shawaryn's last 100 or so innings aren't a positive, but I'd need some solid scouting to really know much of anything.

1 minute ago, murph said:

Chris Cotillo

@ChrisCotillo

Red Sox moves: * Outrighted LHP Stephen Gonsalves to the Alternate Training Site * Released RHP R.J. Alvarez * Outrighted RHP Mike Shawaryn and removed him from the Club Player Pool.

Thanks murph

• Upvote 1