Iglesias back, Cesar Valdez up, Akin and Urias optioned

MurphDogg

Well, glad to see Iglesias back.   We'd probably have won one or two more games if he hadn't gotten hurt.

As for the Valdez/Akin swap.... Hyde seems reluctant to start Akin, and used him as a reliever once in each stint in the majors.   What was last night, 0.1 or 0.2 innings?

**IF** that is how Akin is destined to be used in the majors, it's probably better that he go back to Bowie and work as a starter in a 5 day rotation.   And it's a feel good story for Valdez to make it back to the majors at 35.5 years old and grab one last month of major league minimum paycheck (what's that, about 100K?)

Now I would probably rather have seen Akin come up and get a shot at the rotation.   But since that never appeared to be the plan, I am fine with this move.

13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Can somebody please giveMurphDogg )a greenie for me ???

o

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would, but you didn't say "please."

o

I did.

I guess the joke went over my head. )) :noidea:

o

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone think the way they are using Akin indicates that they are down on him as a prospect?

Just seems odd to me that without a pressing need they would send him back down.

Yes definitely. Hyde seemed reluctant to use him, and Elias would certainly have told him otherwise if Akin was in the plans. 
Or this is all some massive super 2 manipulation because they called him up too early. 

37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, glad to see Iglesias back.   We'd probably have won one or two more games if he hadn't gotten hurt.

As for the Valdez/Akin swap.... Hyde seems reluctant to start Akin, and used him as a reliever once in each stint in the majors.   What was last night, 0.1 or 0.2 innings?

**IF** that is how Akin is destined to be used in the majors, it's probably better that he go back to Bowie and work as a starter in a 5 day rotation.   And it's a feel good story for Valdez to make it back to the majors at 35.5 years old and grab one last month of major league minimum paycheck (what's that, about 100K?)

Now I would probably rather have seen Akin come up and get a shot at the rotation.   But since that never appeared to be the plan, I am fine with this move.

Isn’t Akin a starter?

31 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Hyde said he was going to use him in the bullpen.

Yes I’m aware of that. But isn’t he a starter? I mean he’s trained as a starter and is intending to be a starter?
If so, shouldn’t he at least get a chance to start? It’s not like he’s trying to crack an already splendid rotation.

Edit: I read his prospect write up and it suggested he had mid-rotation starter upside. Overall it was a bit vague but it sure indicated that he should get a chance to start.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

Cesar Valdez really throws up the slop! It's pretty fun to watch; the ball moves at least a foot on every pitch. I get a 40-year old Luis Tiant vibe from him but slower. It's fun to watch in the way it's like going back in time. "Anything goes for the 2020 O's!" (C'mon, man, that's as good as anything MASN comes up with.)

Now, who has Valdez's biography for the past decade. I have seen his bbref stats. There has to be a compelling story behind the anomaly of his career.

• Upvote 2

On 8/27/2020 at 6:07 PM, SteveA said:

Iglesias was a real solid pickup. He’ll be our starting SS at least through next year’s trade deadline. He was a player to fill a gap in a position where we had no other options, and it’s looking like we’ll need someone similar through OD 2023. 

7 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Cesar Valdez really throws up the slop! It's pretty fun to watch; the ball moves at least a foot on every pitch. I get a 40-year old Luis Tiant vibe from him but slower. It's fun to watch in the way it's like going back in time. "Anything goes for the 2020 O's!" (C'mon, man, that's as good as anything MASN comes up with.)

Now, who has Valdez's biography for the past decade. I have seen his bbref stats. There has to be a compelling story behind the anomaly of his career.

I saw an article the other day saying that he'd been "out of organized baseball" for most of the past decade.  That's not true, unless you don't count the Mexican League or the various Latin American Winter leagues as not organized.  But he looks like one of those Willis Otanez types that I love, guys who play on 33 teams in their careers.  You can imagine them playing because they really like baseball and the stadiums and the crowds and the life, even if the reality is that's just a better option than working odd jobs wherever he came from.

In a world of Ricky Vaughns you need the occasional Eddie Harris.