Orioles acquire SS Isaac DeLeon and OF Mishael Deson to complete the Bleier and Givens trades

weams

3 hours ago, weams said:

Mountcastle and Stewart are plenty exciting. Santander too! 

Yes but that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about pitching, and depending on which thread this is, I’m complaining about Phillips being up, or I’m hoping the other five PTBNLs make our collective hearts go pitter-pat.

An interesting comp is Mishael Deson (acquired in the Givens trade) versus Stiven Acevedo (signed by the O’s in 2018).  Both very young for their class (7/7/02 vs. 8/2/02).    Both play CF.   Deson got a $350 k bonus, Acevedo $275 k.

Deson:  .252/.327/.336 in 286 PA.

Acevedo: .250/.334/.302 in 288 PA.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Doesn’t Bleier look like a character from the Dick Van Dyke show? Or a guest on Bewtitched? Or a detective on the Rockford Files?
And I drink Merlot, when the wife allows it.

And don’t YOU want some slightly exciting guys?  I’m not complaining, just kind of shrugging my shoulders and saying,” Let him do what is right in His own eyes.”

To piggyback off @weams, we've got some exciting guys.  Mountcastle, Santander, and now that Stewart's bat has cooled, every flyball to him in RF seems to be an adventure so that's exciting, too.

These young international signings are essentially lottery tickets.  IIRC, Ronald Acuna was signed for something like 100k.  Sixto was signed by the Phillies for like 25k.

You pick up a lot of these guys and hope you get a hit like that.  Odds are that you never hear their names again and that's ok.  I'd rather have that than a 27 year old AAAA type pitcher, we've had plenty of those.  If you can get a Sixto or an Acuna or an Altuve, well, that's what it's all about.  That's what Koby Perez is working hard for.  It's what the Orioles have been missing for...well, forever.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

To piggyback off @weams, we've got some exciting guys.  Mountcastle, Santander, and now that Stewart's bat has cooled, every flyball to him in RF seems to be an adventure so that's exciting, too.

These young international signings are essentially lottery tickets.  IIRC, Ronald Acuna was signed for something like 100k.  Sixto was signed by the Phillies for like 25k.

You pick up a lot of these guys and hope you get a hit like that.  Odds are that you never hear their names again and that's ok.  I'd rather have that than a 27 year old AAAA type pitcher, we've had plenty of those.  If you can get a Sixto or an Acuna or an Altuve, well, that's what it's all about.  That's what Koby Perez is working hard for.  It's what the Orioles have been missing for...well, forever.  

To repeat what I said before, I was not denigrating anybody, I was just and only talking about the six players to be named later, we’ve named two of them and they are not exciting. They may be exciting one day but they’re not now and I was expressing a wish, which apparently nobody was able to pick up on, that the other guys might be a little bit more exciting. That’s all.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

To repeat what I said before, I was not denigrating anybody, I was just and only talking about the six players to be named later, we’ve named two of them and they are not exciting. They may be exciting one day but they’re not now and I was expressing a wish, which apparently nobody was able to pick up on, that the other guys might be a little bit more exciting. That’s all.

We are not building a team for now. Nope. 

8 hours ago, Philip said:

The PTBNL were specifical not in other teams pools. I doubt too many here will be excited by the names. The futures are what we are hoping for and filling in a type of talent that the team has missed out on. 

14 minutes ago, weams said:

The PTBNL were specifical not in other teams pools. I doubt too many here will be excited by the names. The futures are what we are hoping for and filling in a type of talent that the team has missed out on. 

I sort of understand what Philip is saying, though I think he simply overestimated what we realistically might get.    Even if we didn’t get guys who were close to the majors, we might have gotten guys who were more highly regarded than these two.    But I’m pretty happy with them.    We’ll see in a year or two whether they’re real prospects or not.    Of course if the GCL disappears, as has been rumored, the development of these types of players won’t be apparent for even longer than is now the case.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I sort of understand what Philip is saying, though I think he simply overestimated what we realistically might get.    Even if we didn’t get guys who were close to the majors, we might have gotten guys who were more highly regarded than these two.    But I’m pretty happy with them.    We’ll see in a year or two whether they’re real prospects or not.    Of course if the GCL disappears, as has been rumored, the development of these types of players won’t be apparent for even longer than is now the case.    

What makes a guy exciting when they are so young, as Jon Shepherd said,“...is one really loud tool.” In the hope is that the other tools can at least partially catch up. I don’t know what these guys will do over the years, but what I’m hoping for is somebody who is closer and more developed Who can help in two or three years instead of eight or nine.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

What makes a guy exciting when they are so young, as Jon Shepherd said,“...is one really loud tool.” In the hope is that the other tools can at least partially catch up. I don’t know what these guys will do over the years, but what I’m hoping for is somebody who is closer and more developed Who can help in two or three years instead of eight or nine.

Kind of in the mold of Juan Soto or Ronald Acuna?  Yeah!  If only youth weren't "wasted" on the young, we might have some "loud-tooled" dudes!   But at 78, I hear ya!  ?

19 hours ago, Philip said:

You're not excited about upside?

19 hours ago, Philip said:

Did you think we were getting a top 100 prospect for Dick Bleier?  This is the best we could hope for.