Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

With our disastrous starting pitching this year, that made for a very good, but yet very nauseating read.   And hitting 97 now, I knew he had high K rate when we traded him, but didn't remember reading he threw that hard?  Wow those pitches against Murphy were nasty. 

35 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Paul Folk's last look at the ones that got away - Justin Turner, who knew?

USATSI_10275250-1024x721.jpg

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/09/14/ex-oriole-report-former-orioles-best-worst-2017-seasons/7/

Nice job by Paul, as always.   I'm glad he cited the Nats' 72-30 record when Wieters plays -- hopefully he got that from me harping on it every time someone mentions Wieters' disappointing stats!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice job by Paul, as always.   I'm glad he cited the Nats' 72-30 record when Wieters plays -- hopefully he got that from me harping on it every time someone mentions Wieters' disappointing stats!

Hmmm - when Jose Lobaton is the backup and when the Nats offense is dominating everyone, does it really matter?  Just axin'?

On 9/21/2017 at 4:41 PM, O's are Legends said:

Jake Arrieta 14-9, 3.48 era vs Zach Davies 17-9, 3.89 era tonight at 8:10pm eastern time, I'll definitely be tuning in.

Arrieta - 5 IP 1 R

Davies - 7 IP 2 R

As a consolation, BOTH Pedro Strop and Oliver Drake pitched horribly in this game.   Strop came in with a runner on base and allowed the tying run to score, issuing a hit and two walks in a third of an inning, earning a blown save.    Drake was worse, allowing 3 hits and a walk in zero innings, taking the loss in extra innings.

• 3 weeks later...

Ex-O's played significant roles in last night's 9-8 nail-biter NLDS finale in DC.  To cap it off, Brian Duensing held the Nats off just enough (in 2/3 inning) to "earn" the W, while striking out late game "goat" Matt Wiety, whose PB and wild throw to first allowed the eventual winning run to score.  Also playing a significant role was former O's MILB'er Jayson Werth, who botched a liner in the lights to allow a run to score.  Pedro Strop allowed an earned run but got the H in one inning of work.  Matt (no shaming here) Albers unbelievably had a clean inning (how does he do it?) of work to cap off the ex-O's commentary.

Duensing > Bleier? (who cares?)

I found myself not hating the Nats and wishing for a CHI L but ultimately feeling neutral when it all ended.  Finding Joe Maddon insufferable lately, wishing Tito was there vice Girardi and, like Frobby, having no more "dogs in the fight" makes the baseball season over for me.  A Yankee L will be nice, but at this point, who cares?  It's difficult to get excited for another Oriole season this time around.  I don't watch the NBA (at all) or NHL, NFL, NCAAF or B much any more.  Will MLB be next?  SMH

Tom Boswell's apt piece on game was a good read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/an-unforgettable-night-at-once-ugly-and-beautiful-ends-the-nationals-season/2017/10/13/ac2bec40-af85-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.a9a358672382

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

It's difficult to get excited for another Oriole season this time around.  I don't watch the NBA (at all) or NHL, NFL, NCAAF or B much any more.  Will MLB be next?  SMH

Say it ain't so, Bob!   Give it a few weeks and your usual cheerful outlook will return.     I expect to be excited for next season, while at the same time extremely worried.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

The man is a poet laureate of sportswriting.     Here's my favorite line from this piece:

Baseball at its best is living theater where the blood on the stage, even if it is merely the blood of broken hearts, and the heroism, even if it is just poise under pressure with millions watching, has the added power of being real with a plot that is undetermined and often impacted by events that bend credibility.

Lord, I wish he still covered the Orioles on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MLBTR

• The Mariners apparently aren’t planning to make Nelson Cruz available in trade talks, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes.  The newly-acquired Ryon Healy will be used at first base, leaving Cruz to his usual role as Seattle’s designated hitter.  A 37-year-old, DH-only player entering the final year of his contract would seem like a logical trade chip on paper, though Cruz has been such a valuable hitter for the M’s that moving him would be a questionable move for a team planning to contend in 2018.  Cruz has done nothing but rake since coming to Seattle three seasons ago, batting .292/.368/.557 with 126 homers over 1967 plate appearances.

• 2 weeks later...