Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

14 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You gotta love grinders like Gentry. He had a limited offensive skill set, but his speed and defense ended up giving him a decent major league career. Certainly can understand the grind finally catching up to him. I always picture that scene in Bull Durham where Crash walsk away from the game and ends up sitting on the front porch of Susan Sarandon's house.

Maybe there will be a opening in Visalia next year for Gentry! 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You gotta love grinders like Gentry. He had a limited offensive skill set, but his speed and defense ended up giving him a decent major league career. Certainly can understand the grind finally catching up to him. I always picture that scene in Bull Durham where Crash walsk away from the game and ends up sitting on the front porch of Susan Sarandon's house.

I really liked him, when healthy.   He could be a 4th/5th OF on a decent team when his body parts were working.    

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Literally I was reconciling a travel claim to Visalia for one of my employees yesterday.  I should have had him ask!

• Haha 2

I know it was mentioned before but Gausman's ERA is at 4.80 now.  WHIP is still real good at 1.067 so no one can say I'm only looking at the bad stuff.  Someone explain this to me, though.  So, 4.80 ERA, 4.09 FIP.  K/BB ratio is 33/10.  K rate is 9.9.  So how's he got a -0.1 WAR?  And I wasn't even a Gausman fan, yet I still feel like I should be defending him to the WAR gods.  I also don't understand how the 1.067 WHIP, 3/1 K/BB ratio and 9.9 k rate = 4.80 ERA.  Weird.  Those are some good peripherals.  I am assuming that ERA comes down.

Anyway, ejected from the game tonight for throwing behind Urena.  

Video:

https://www.mlb.com/video/gausman-ejected-in-the-2nd-x4873

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know it was mentioned before but Gausman's ERA is at 4.80 now.  WHIP is still real good at 1.067 so no one can say I'm only looking at the bad stuff.  Someone explain this to me, though.  So, 4.80 ERA, 4.09 FIP.  K/BB ratio is 33/10.  K rate is 9.9.  So how's he got a -0.1 WAR?  And I wasn't even a Gausman fan, yet I still feel like I should be defending him to the WAR gods.  I also don't understand how the 1.067 WHIP, 3/1 K/BB ratio and 9.9 k rate = 4.80 ERA.  Weird.  Those are some good peripherals.  I am assuming that ERA comes down.

Video:

rWAR weights ERA heavily and doesn’t look at FIP, whereas fWAR weights the FIP factors very heavily.   Gausman’s fWAR was 0.4 going into yesterday, compared to -0.1 rWAR.     

As to why his ERA is out of line, it’s probably sequencing.   He’s allowed 10 runs on his 5 homers, for example.    

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

When he first came to Baltimore he was renting a property right down the street from me.  Saw him a handful of times, really nice family.

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Video:

Also still in the small sample size realm. Let’s revisit Gausman in mid June and see how he compares. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

rWAR weights ERA heavily and doesn’t look at FIP, whereas fWAR weights the FIP factors very heavily.   Gausman’s fWAR was 0.4 going into yesterday, compared to -0.1 rWAR.     

As to why his ERA is out of line, it’s probably sequencing.   He’s allowed 10 runs on his 5 homers, for example.    

Its the homers, his pitch counts haven't even been that bad.