Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Those are things that some folks look to support the case, but really, we do need to look at more result oriented stats. As we have all seen - strikeouts are not a current judgement, walks only count in context, and average is no longer used at all in serious discussions. I see your point, but really, Nick has not been top three for quite some time.

You've gotta still respect the OBP weams. That's always valuable. Even with his decreasing power, he was good for roughly 2 offensive WAR last year, good for top 5 on the team.

Trying to make a serious argument that he was the 10th best hitter makes you look like you have an agenda against him imo. Not sure if you were really saying that or not.

Those are things that some folks look to support the case, but really, we do need to look at more result oriented stats. As we have all seen - strikeouts are not a current judgement, walks only count in context, and average is no longer used at all in serious discussions. I see your point, but really, Nick has not been top three for quite some time.

I'd say Nick was in our top three in 2012 (.834 OPS). Not the last two years. He was a little better in 2014 than some people give him credit for.

I did like to have Nick up there in situations when making contact was extremely important and strikeouts were a particularly bad outcome, such as runner on 3B, less than two outs. I always felt confident Nick would have a good at bat in those situations. Overall, you really can't argue that he was even close to as good as Pearce, Cruz or Jones last year.

It's time to move on. I'm rooting for Nick to have a good season, and for his sake, I hope the Braves are better than expected. It could be a long year for them.

You've gotta still respect the OBP weams. That's always valuable. Even with his decreasing power, he was good for roughly 2 offensive WAR last year, good for top 5 on the team.

Trying to make a serious argument that he was the 10th best hitter makes you look like you have an agenda against him imo. Not sure if you were really saying that or not.

I'd go for top five. That might be right.

o

(APRIL 17th)

ATLANTA BRAVES

Eric Young, Jr. - LF

Alberto Callaspo - 3B

Nick Markakis - RF

Freddie Freeman - 1B

Chris Johnson - DH

Anthony John Pierzynski - C

Andrelton Simmons - SS

Jace Peterson - 2B

Cameron Maybin - CF

Julio Teheran - RHP (2-0, 1.50 ERA)

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Devon Travis - 2B

Josh Donaldson - 3B

Jose Bautista - RF

Edwin Encarnacion - 1B

Dioner Navarro - DH

Russell Martin - C

Dalton Pompey - CF

Kevin Pillar - LF

Ryan Goins - SS

Drew Hutchison - RHP (1-0, 6.97 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

(APRIL 17th)

ATLANTA BRAVES

Eric Young, Jr. - LF

Alberto Callaspo - 3B

Nick Markakis - RF

Freddie Freeman - 1B

Chris Johnson - DH

Andrelton Simmons - SS

Jace Peterson - 2B

Cameron Maybin - CF

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Devon Travis - 2B

Josh Donaldson - 3B

Jose Bautista - RF

Edwin Encarnacion - 1B

Dioner Navarro - DH

Russell Martin - C

Dalton Pompey - CF

Kevin Pillar - LF

Ryan Goins - SS

I am strongly in favor of the Braves and Nick tonight.

o

(APRIL 17th)

ATLANTA BRAVES

Eric Young, Jr. - LF

Alberto Callaspo - 3B

Nick Markakis - RF

Freddie Freeman - 1B

Chris Johnson - DH

Andrelton Simmons - SS

Jace Peterson - 2B

Cameron Maybin - CF

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Devon Travis - 2B

Josh Donaldson - 3B

Jose Bautista - RF

Edwin Encarnacion - 1B

Dioner Navarro - DH

Russell Martin - C

Dalton Pompey - CF

Kevin Pillar - LF

Ryan Goins - SS

Nick Marakakis reached base safely 5 times.

4-for-4 with 1 walk, and 3 runs scored.

ATLANTA BRAVES OOOO.) -8

TORONTO BLUE JAYS O -7

I think it's time to remove the words "neck surgery" from the thread title. From here on out this thread will just be following how well he plays.

Nick seems to be playing his usual game early in the season. After last night's great performance he's hitting .353 with a .436 OBP. He's only had one extra base hit all season, however. That's low even by Nick's 2013-14 standards, and bears watching.

I think it's time to remove the words "neck surgery" from the thread title. From here on out this thread will just be following how well he plays.

Nick seems to be playing his usual game early in the season. After last night's great performance he's hitting .353 with a .436 OBP. He's only had one extra base hit all season, however. That's low even by Nick's 2013-14 standards, and bears watching.

Surprised a "Hangout Blogger" does not have that power...:scratchchinhmm: #makeithappen