Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

He may have come back to quickly. He has not had a hit in the last 16 at bats. Kinda like Matt I fear.

It is probably just observational bias at work but it seems to me the first game back guys seem to do well then they fall back where you expect to see them.

I wonder if it could be adrenaline or maybe they are fully rested that first day then start wearing down?

Probably nothing to it.

He's their second best hitter.

Depending on how you look at it, you could have made the argument he might have been our best hitter. Not saying he was, but just looking at making contact/low strikeouts/good eye he would have been near the top for us last year. Now if you're looking from a power perspective, he would have been near the bottom obviously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on how you look at it, you could have made the argument he might have been our best hitter. Not saying he was, but just looking at making contact/low strikeouts/good eye he would have been near the top for us last year. Now if you're looking from a power perspective, he would have been near the bottom obviously.

I hate to be a naysayer to you but no, He could not have been. You could make a point that he was our tenth best hitter, and that is including OBP in the OPS.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c_id=bal#elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting&game_type='R'&season=2014&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=hitting&page=1&ts=1428404845698&sortColumn=ops&sortOrder='desc'&extended=0&playerType=ALL&sportCode='mlb'&split=&team_id=110&active_sw=&position=&page_type=SortablePlayer&results=&perPage=50&timeframe=&last_x_days=

It really does not matter how man pitches he saw, but he was not at the top on that either.

So you're telling me a guy who led the team in walks, had the lowest SO percentage, was 2nd among regulars in OBP, and I think about 3rd in average can't even be in the discussion? Personally, I think you would have had to give that title to Pearce last year. I just don't think you could dismiss him as that bad. I guess I put a lot of weight with making contact and getting on base/taking walks while others would look at OPS and other stats.

For the record, I'm not a Markakis loyalist. I was appreciative of his time with us and I was a little sad (and surprised) to see him go. I didn't really think it was a good idea to offer a guy who is having neck surgery even a 3 year deal, but that's a discussion for another topic.

So you're telling me a guy who led the team in walks, had the lowest SO percentage, was 2nd among regulars in OBP, and I think about 3rd in average can't even be in the discussion? Personally, I think you would have had to give that title to Pearce last year. I just don't think you could dismiss him as that bad. I guess I put a lot of weight with making contact and getting on base/taking walks while others would look at OPS and other stats.

For the record, I'm not a Markakis loyalist. I was appreciative of his time with us and I was a little sad (and surprised) to see him go. I didn't really think it was a good idea to offer a guy who is having neck surgery even a 3 year deal, but that's a discussion for another topic.

Those are things that some folks look to support the case, but really, we do need to look at more result oriented stats. As we have all seen - strikeouts are not a current judgement, walks only count in context, and average is no longer used at all in serious discussions. I see your point, but really, Nick has not been top three for quite some time.