The Reds need offense, the O's need pitching.

GuidoSarducci

Following the Reds dismal playoff exit in which they failed to score a single run through 23 innings, its obvious they need some offensive upgrades. The Orioles have some young, cost controlled talent on offense that they may be able to jettison.  This may be more up the Reds alley vs. FA as they don't have a big budget being a mid-small market.

Looking at the Reds roster they have some obvious holes at SS, LF and Catcher.  

Would they be a good trade candidates ?  I'm not too familiar with their pitching prospects. 

They already had Iglesias and I'd imagine he's more valuable here as an affordable, stabilizing veteran than what we could get for him. If the NL keeps the DH, they may have some interest in Nunez or maybe Alberto?

Even so, I'm not sure either is a real huge upgrade that would net much more than a lottery pick. I'm fine with trading with the Reds, but I'm not targeting ready-now pitching, I'm targeting young toolsy players in hopes of developing a diamond in the rough.

Ultimately, I like the pitching we have on the way for 2021 and want to see the kids get a chance as we inch our way towards contention in a few years.

• Upvote 1

Santander-Mahle, or Santander-India?

I doubt they have the financial flexibility to do much until they know the Bauer outcome.  I imagine more than they'd want any of our hitters, they might like our cash reserves to take on a chunk of toasty Votto.

Davis for Votto, India and Mahle?   

They did make a medium bet on Akiyama who to me today almost looked like a poor man's Cedric Mullins, and lack a real CF.

I've always found it funny that people here think other teams would chomp at the bit for what we have.  And to combat that, I usually try to figure out what I'd want the Orioles to give up to acquire that player if we were trying to trade for him.

For example, if the Reds had Nunez and we wanted him...what would you trade for him?  What would you trade for Ruiz?  Alberto?

I'm certainly not high on our pitching prospects, but I can't really even see trading someone like Lowther and a lower level minor leaguer and cash for someone like Nunez.  And I like Nunez, he's been a fun player when he's hitting dongs and he's a good scrap heap pickup, but there's  not a lot of value there.

• Upvote 3

The Reds got swept in two games without scoring a run, that means they lost, but it doesn’t mean that we have anything they want. Defense is important. Two series have been lost on defensive miscues and our defense Is pretty bad. Moose is correct, not many people want what we are offering.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

The Reds got swept in two games without scoring a run, that means they lost, but it doesn’t mean that we have anything they want. Defense is important. Two series have been lost on defensive miscues and our defense Is pretty bad. Moose is correct, not many people want what we are offering.

It's funny how you keep saying you understand how if the offense is good enough you put up with the defense when you obviously don't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The O’s finished 8th in runs scored, 9th in runs allowed.   So it’s not like their offense is a lot better than their pitching.   

This is mainly because of the holes at 3B/1B.  If Trey is coming back that answers 1B question.   We also have  more quality outfielders that can't all make the roster and probably an extra catcher.  Iglesias doesn't add much the club if they aren't going to compete.   We could also package a few of these guys together.   

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've always found it funny that people here think other teams would chomp at the bit for what we have.  And to combat that, I usually try to figure out what I'd want the Orioles to give up to acquire that player if we were trying to trade for him.

For example, if the Reds had Nunez and we wanted him...what would you trade for him?  What would you trade for Ruiz?  Alberto?

I'm certainly not high on our pitching prospects, but I can't really even see trading someone like Lowther and a lower level minor leaguer and cash for someone like Nunez.  And I like Nunez, he's been a fun player when he's hitting dongs and he's a good scrap heap pickup, but there's  not a lot of value there.

Neither Nunez or Ruiz are really upgrades for anyone.  Nunez is almost strictly a DH, who doesn't hit all that well for a dedicated DH.  Ruiz is a well below average 3B.  They might not even make they 25 man on the O's next year.

But let's say we were to package DJ Stewart, Jose Iglesias and  Pedro Severino to the Reds.  Could that get us an organizational top 20 prospect?

Those guys are upgrades than what the Reds have now, and all are cheap except Iglesias - but his contract is cheap relative to production and its only a one-year commitment.  Stewart is also young and under team control, so if he breaks out then you fill a hole with a productive player on the cheap for a few years.  For an organization on a budget, if they decide they are going to make a run this might be a smarter route. 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

2 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Neither Nunez or Ruiz are really upgrades for anyone.  Nunez is almost strictly a DH, who doesn't hit all that well for a dedicated DH.  Ruiz is a well below average 3B.  They might not even make they 25 man on the O's next year.

But let's say we were to package DJ Stewart, Jose Iglesias and  Pedro Severino to the Reds.  Could that get us an organizational top 20 prospect?

Those guys are upgrades than what the Reds have now, and all are cheap except Iglesias - but his contract is cheap relative to production and its only a one-year commitment.  Stewart is also young and under team control, so if he breaks out then you fill a hole with a productive player on the cheap for a few years.  For an organization on a budget, if they decide they are going to make a run this might be a smarter route. 

No

12 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I dunno, I really don't like the armchair GM thing when it comes to the point of bantering about names and what we could get back.  That's @Sports Guy's thing, his wheelhouse if you will.  Just ask him, he's undefeated on hypothetical trades :) 

I'm not sure if Stewart, Iglesias and Severino could get us a top 20 back from the Reds.  If so, I'm assuming it's definitely someone from the 10-20 range.  

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, I really don't like the armchair GM thing when it comes to the point of bantering about names and what we could get back.  That's @Sports Guy's thing, his wheelhouse if you will.  Just ask him, he's undefeated on hypothetical trades :) 

I'm not sure if Stewart, Iglesias and Severino could get us a top 20 back from the Reds.  If so, I'm assuming it's definitely someone from the 10-20 range.  

I would agree with this.  

The only player that could have real value to them would be Santander.  Maybe you could get a top 10 (bottom of the top 10) prospect for him.  

A young, high upside OFer making no money is appealing to a lot of teams..it’s just a matter of how much you believe in him as a player.

• Upvote 1