Who's the number six prospect?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the number six prospect?

• Brad Bergesen
    • Brandon Erbe
    • David Hernandez
    • Nolan Reimold
    • Brandon Snyder

I don't think Hernandez or Bergesen are options here -- Bergesen looks like a back-end guy and I still see Hernandez in the pen.

I go with Reimold based on proximity to the ML and likelihood to reach his ceiling (which I have as an above-average COF).

I see an argument for Snyder, based on his second half, but I imagine he's at first to stay. Accordingly, I need to see a little more pop right now out of a 1B bat if I'm going to rank him ahead of a potential above-average COF with pop. I think he'll move quickly, but his ceiling is a 1B is lower than it would be as a 3B.

The argument for Erbe is upside, but he's a little to inconsistent. The flashes of dominance are nice, especially at his young age, but he's still more projection to me than anything else. I like that he has worked on improving his changeup.

With these five I'd rank them Reimold, Erbe, Snyder, Hernandez and Bergesen, with my money on Snyder having a very successful season next year and putting himself in position for a call-up at some point in 2010.

I went with Reimold for the same reasons.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Snyder, but I expect it to be Erbe. Snyder was slowed by a significant injury and took a huge step forward this year. He's in an appropriate league for his age, compared with Reimold (who I like, just not as much). And, I'd really like to see Snyder get an extended look at 3B in AA, this season.

Either of these two, though, would be fine with me.

To me, it has to be Reimold or Erbe here...Given Tony is a little down on Reimold, I think we see Erbe here and then Reimold.

Tony made a comment to me at Edgar's that Reimold is the opposite of Markakis in terms of baseball instincts. He apparently makes boneheaded plays and hasn't improved in that area over the years.

I think Tony's down on Erbe as well. I went with Snyder not based on statistics or scouting reports, but my reading on Tony!

I don't feel strongly about what order Erbe/Reimold/Snyder are placed. Purely based on performance Bergesen has a strong case but I don't see him translating well to the majors at all.

I'm voting based on my own opinions, rather than trying to predict Tony's opinions. Of course, when I'm aware of Tony's opinions that usually influences my own thinking, since I'm no scout and have never seen most of these guys play. (I did get to one Keys doubleheader this year and got to see Wieters, Rowell, Snyder and Erbe all in one afternoon.)

It's going to be interesting to see just how low he places Erbe, and why. Here's a post from Tony that probably sums up most of what he is thinking:

My thought is that right now, I see him in the bullpen in the end, but that he does have the arm and ability to miss bats to suggest he still could remain a starter.

He's so young still that it's hard to judge him too harshly, but the two times I saw him this year his stuff did not overwhelm me. His velocity was way down 90-91 when I saw him and although his slider was decent at times, it wasn't consistent. He did however look like he was pitching better to location so that's a plus. I just think I'd rather have the 95-97 MPH power reliever then the guy I saw as a starter.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1475441&postcount=25

I have to say that Erbe appeared to have a lot better than 90-91 mph the day I saw him pitch (May 17).

Archived