2020/21 Offseason Transactions

Tony-OH

January:

01/18/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent P Thomas Eshelman.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent P Deivy Cruz.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent SS Eruviel Castillo.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent CF Hector Jimenez.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent SS Maikol Hernandez.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent SS Angel Tejada.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent OF Grabiel Salazar.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent C Yasmil Bucce.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent SS Anderson De Los Santos.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent C Carlos Rodriguez.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent C Samuel Basallo.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent SS Victor Celedonio.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent CF Angel Pena.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent C Aneudis Mordan.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent OF Wilmer Feliciano.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent CF Junior Lara.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent P Elvis Polanco.
01/15/21 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent CF Teudis Cortorreal.
01/15/21 3B Rio Ruiz changed number to 2.

December:

12/21/20 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent RHP Claudio Custodio to a minor league contract.
12/21/20 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent C Nick Ciuffo to a minor league contract.
12/21/20 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent LHP Fernando Abad to a minor league contract.
12/10/20 RHP Rickey Ramirez assigned to Baltimore Orioles.
12/10/20 Baltimore Orioles claimed RHP Tyler Wells off waivers from Rochester Red Wings.
12/10/20 Baltimore Orioles claimed RHP Mac Sceroler off waivers from Daytona Tortugas.
12/10/20 RHP Ignacio Feliz assigned to Baltimore Orioles.
12/10/20 C Chris Hudgins assigned to Baltimore Orioles.
12/07/20 Baltimore Orioles claimed RHP Ashton Goudeau off waivers from Pittsburgh Pirates.
12/07/20 Baltimore Orioles sent C Austin Wynns outright to Norfolk Tides.
12/03/20 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent RHP Conner Greene to a minor league contract.
12/02/20 Baltimore Orioles traded SS Jose Iglesias to Los Angeles Angels for RHP Garrett Stallings and RHP Jean Pinto.
12/02/20 2B Hanser Alberto elected free agency.
12/02/20 Baltimore Orioles traded SS Jose Iglesias to Los Angeles Angels for RHP Garrett Stallings and RHP Jean Pinto.

12/02/20 Baltimore Orioles sent RHP Thomas Eshelman outright to Norfolk Tides.

November:

11/25/20 Baltimore Orioles claimed 1B Chris Shaw off waivers from San Francisco Giants.
11/25/20 Baltimore Orioles designated RHP Thomas Eshelman for assignment.
11/23/20 Baltimore Orioles released 3B Renato Nunez.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of 2B Rylan Bannon from Bowie Baysox.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of RHP Michael Baumann from Bowie Baysox.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles designated 3B Renato Nunez for assignment.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of LHP Alexander Wells from Bowie Baysox.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of LHP Zac Lowther from Bowie Baysox.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of RF Yusniel Diaz from Bowie Baysox.
11/20/20 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of RHP Isaac Mattson from Bowie Baysox.
11/16/20 Houston Astros traded RHP Miguel Padilla to Baltimore Orioles.
11/05/20 Atlanta Braves traded SS AJ Graffanino and 2B Greg Cullen to Baltimore Orioles. PTBNL in Tommy Milone trade, 8/30/2020

11/02/20        Cristian Alvarado, Danny Barnes, Malquin Canelo, Martin Cervenka, Brian Gonzalez (Signed by Rockies), Tyler Herb, David Hess, Francisco Jimenez, Ty Moore, Luis Ortiz, Brady Rodgers, Jose Rondon, Dwight Smith, Richard Urena, Jesmuel Valentin, Andrew Velazquez became free agents. 

11/02/20         Signed or Resigned the following minor league free agents: RHP Marcos Diplan, RHP Mickey Jannis, C Taylor Davis, C Alex de la Cruz, C Alfredo Gonzalez, C Pedro Perez,1B Ryan Ripken, 2B Steve Wilkerson

October:

10/30/20 Baltimore Orioles claimed 2B Yolmer Sanchez off waivers from Chicago White Sox.
10/29/20 Baltimore Orioles sent RHP Branden Kline outright to Norfolk Tides.
10/29/20 Baltimore Orioles sent David Hess outright to Norfolk Tides.
10/29/20 Baltimore Orioles sent Andrew Velazquez outright to Norfolk Tides.
10/29/20 Baltimore Orioles sent RHP Kohl Stewart outright to Norfolk Tides.
10/29/20 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent OF Stevie Wilkerson to a minor league contract.
10/28/20 Baltimore Orioles activated LHP Wade LeBlanc from the 60-day injured list.
10/28/20 LHP Wade LeBlanc elected free agency.
10/28/20 C Bryan Holaday elected free agency.
  • Thanks 1

No surprises in the first four players waived off the 40-man.

David Hess has had many chances, but his straight fastball and lack of consistent stuff will never really play at the major league level.

Andrew Velazquez  showed he was decently versatile, but also showed his previous inability to hit was his level of hitting. Slow bat, just doesn't bring enough to hold down a utility job unless a team is just looking for versatility and no bat.

Kohl Stewart former first round pick decided to be one of the few major leaguers to opt out due to COVID despite having a real chance at make a major league starting rotation for the first time. No issues with letting a guy go who gave up a golden opportunity at the big league level.

Branden Kline Got good results in his three outings but his changeup and slider actually backed up in movement. At 29-years old, he's not a spring training.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Kohl Stewart former first round pick decided to be one of the few major leaguers to opt out due to COVID despite having a real chance at make a major league starting rotation for the first time. No issues with letting a guy go who gave up a golden opportunity at the big league level.

The guy has a medical condition that put him at much higher risk for Covid than the typical player his age.   No issues with him electing not to play.   That said, okay with me for the O’s to clear him off the 40-man roster, but I’m glad he cleared waivers and we get to keep him.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The guy has a medical condition that put him at much higher risk for Covid than the typical player his age.   No issues with him electing not to play.   That said, okay with me for the O’s to clear him off the 40-man roster, but I’m glad he cleared waivers and we get to keep him.   

Everyone has to make their own decisions based on their own risk profiles. I'm just saying he missed a golden opportunity with his decision. I don't have an issue with anyone making their own choices on the matter, but it makes sense to move him off the 40-man.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Who do you think is next?

Players at risk in my mind:

Austin Wynns - 30-year old AAAA back up catchers usually aren't a big commodity
Cole Sulser - He'll pitch at 31 years next year and if you shake a minor league AAAA tree, 30 Sulser's drop out.
Jorge Lopez - This guy has been give more major league chances than a cat has lives but keeps putting up similar numbers. Still would like to see him in a relief role before dumping him.
Tom Eshleman - Was a good long guy/swing man last year and is cheap, but he's a guy that needs pinpoint command for his well below average stuff to work.
Shawn Armstrong- Mainly because he'll be arbitration eligible and 30-years old next year.

I'd love to say Chris Davis, but Davis seems intent on getting every last dime owed to him despite the fact he hasn't earned his paycheck in three plus years. It does not appear Elias has the power to release him. in fact, the orioles may not have the money to release him so expect him to continue to keep stepping in the Ubaldo puddle for the rest of his time in Baltimore.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd love to say Chris Davis, but Davis seems intent on getting every last dime owed to him despite the fact he hasn't earned his paycheck in three plus years. It does not appear Elias has the power to release him. in fact, the orioles may not have the money to release him so expect him to continue to keep stepping in the Ubaldo puddle for the rest of his time in Baltimore.

If they play less than 162, keeping Davis saves us money.    Otherwise, it doesn’t.    We owe his salary when we owe it, regardless of whether he’s playing for us or not.    But I definitely expect the O’s to keep Davis until the very end of spring training next year, at a minimum, to see if it’s likely a full season will be played or not.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If they play less than 162, keeping Davis saves us money.    Otherwise, it doesn’t.    We owe his salary when we owe it, regardless of whether he’s playing for us or not.    But I definitely expect the O’s to keep Davis until the very end of spring training next year, at a minimum, to see if it’s likely a full season will be played or not.   

I could definitely see this as reason why current ownership would want to keep him still on the 40-man. I don't see the Orioles losing a potential impact player due his inclusion on the 40-man.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Players at risk in my mind:

Austin Wynns - 30-year old AAAA back up catchers usually aren't a big commodity
Cole Sulser - He'll pitch at 31 years next year and if you shake a minor league AAAA tree, 30 Sulser's drop out.
Jorge Lopez - This guy has been give more major league chances than a cat has lives but keeps putting up similar numbers. Still would like to see him in a relief role before dumping him.
Tom Eshleman - Was a good long guy/swing man last year and is cheap, but he's a guy that needs pinpoint command for his well below average stuff to work.
Shawn Armstrong- Mainly because he'll be arbitration eligible and 30-years old next year.

The only player you mention that I disagree with is Sean Armstrong. He’s projected only to earn between 800 K and 1 million, which is less than twice major league minimum, so the only difference between him and anyone else would be between three and $500,000. That’s nothing, and he is more than worth it. Even if he’s entering the declining years, he still more than worth it, because the risk is So small. So I think they should give him a contract without a second thought.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Good idea, Tony.   If there was one thing to add it would be a permanent 40 man roster that got updated along with thisl.   If you pin it, I'll keep it up to date.

Last Updated:  10/30 (Yolmer Sanchez acquisition)

40 Man Roster (33)

Pitchers (15)
Keegin Akin
Shawn Armstrong
Alex Cobb
Thomas Eshelman
Paul Fry
Hunter Harvey
Dean Kremer
Travis Lakins
Jorge Lopez
John Means
Tanner Scott
Cole Suler
Dillon Tate
Cesar Valdez
Bruce Zimmerman

Catchers (3)
Pedro Severino
Chance Sisco
Austin Wynns

Infielders (9)
Hanser Alberto
Chris Davis
Jose Iglesias [Team option decision due by 11/1]
Tyler Nevin
Renato Nunez
Yolmer Sanchez
Ramon Urias
Pat Valaika

Outfielders (6)
Austin Hays
Ryan McKenna
Ryan Mountcastle
Cedric Mullins
Anthony Santander
DJ Stewart

LONGTERM DL (2) -- must be added to the 40 man roster by 11/1
Richie Martin
Trey Mancini

ARBITRATION Eligible (with mlbtraderumors.com projected figures)
Hanser Alberto -- $2.5mm to $4.1mm
Shawn Armstrong -- $800K to $1mm
Trey Mancini -- $4.8mm
Renato Nunez -- $2.5mm to $3.9mm
Yolmer Sanchez 
Anthony Santander -- $1.7mm to $3.0mm
Pedro Severino -- $1.4mm to $2.3mm

ANNOUNCED NONROSTER INVITEES TO SPRING TRAINING (1)
Stevie Wilkerson

OFFSEASON DATES OF NOTE:
11/1/2020 -- Decision required on Iglesias option
11/1/2020 -- Last day to offer free agents qualifyting offer
11/1/2020 --  Guys on longterm DL must return to the 40 man roster
11/11/2020  -- Last day for players to accept qualifying offer
11/20/2020 -- Deadline to add Rule 5 eligible minor leaguers to the 40 man roster
12/2/2020 -- Last day to tender contracts to arbitration eligible players
12/7/2020 - 12/10/2020 -- Winter Meetings (Dallas? or virtual?)
12/10/2020 -- Rule 5 Draft
1/15/2021 -- Start of 2021 International Signing Period
1/15/2021 -- Deadline for teams and players to submit arbitration figures
2/1/2021 - 2/19/2021 -- Arbitration hearings
2/16/2021 -- Pitchers and catchers report to Sarasoda
2/27/2021 -- Preseason schedule begins vs Atlanta Braves in Sarasota
3/12/2021 -- Earliest date a player can be optioned to the minor leagues
3/15/2021 -- Last date to place a player on waivers for 30 days termination pay
3/27/2021 -- Last date to offer a retention bonus to an eligible player attending spring training on a minor league contract
3/30/2021 -- Last date to place a player on waivers for 45 days termination pay
4/1/2021 -- Opening Day, Orioles at Red Sox
4/8/2021 -- Home Opener, Orioles vs Red Sox

You got it..

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

Explain why Martin has to be added to the 40-man? Can’t he be outrighted without any problem? He can always be added back later.

I don't think he has to be but he would go through waivers if he wasn't?

Seeing as we are stil well below 40, no sense doing that now.   Just put him on the roster.   If you need room later, then try it.

Just now, SteveA said:

I don't think he has to be but he would go through waivers if he wasn't?

Seeing as we are stil well below 40, no sense doing that now.   Just put him on the roster.   If you need room later, then try it.

I agree with the timing issue, but he’s hardly a claim risk in the event he were placed on waivers. I like Martin and he’s a good story, but he’s hardly more desirable than the spot he would occupy, though even now, there are several guys I’d dump before him.

Lopez,, Nunez, Sulser, Wynns, Eshelman off the top o’ me head.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agree with the timing issue, but he’s hardly a claim risk in the event he were placed on waivers. I like Martin and he’s a good story, but he’s hardly more desirable than the spot he would occupy, though even now, there are several guys I’d dump before him.

Lopez,, Nunez, Sulser, Wynns, Eshelman off the top o’ me head.

Right, so there is no reason not to put him on the 40.