Iglesias happy talk

Frobby

There are some pieces to work with on this team.  I don't know how you make pitching better - I suppose look for new pitchers is one answer.  Baltimore has never seemed to be able to develop pitchers like some other teams.

Defense was not good last year.  Baserunning, too.  Those are both things that can be corrected.  Defense will come with time and experience.  I think you can't have just all young guys in the field.  You need some vets that know the opposing players - where they hit, their speed/aggressiveness on the basepaths, etc., to help position the young guys in the field.  Starting out in the right spot on the field can make up for some lack of speed.  Catcher, third base, and the corner outfield positions must improve defensively.  I think they can and will.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sign a guy for 1M trade a guy making 3.5M.

Hopefully they got something useful back.  I thought Iglesias was a useful piece on a rebuilding team.

He is useful. This had better not be a salary dump. 

Sanchez has played a minimal amount of shortstop, fewer than 100 innings in his career, so I can't imagine he will be the shortstop. Is Richie Martin going to be penciled in at short?

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Sanchez has played a minimal amount of shortstop, fewer than 100 innings in his career, so I can't imagine he will be the shortstop. Is Richie Martin going to be penciled in at short?

Maybe he thinks Griener is ready?  Former first round pick and all.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Wouldn't a salary dump have been not picking up his option?

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Wouldn't a salary dump have been not picking up his option?

No, if they hadn't picked up his option they would have been on the hook for a $500k buyout.

If they traded him for a 25 year-old minor league lifer, it would be more of a salary dump.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MurphDogg said:

No, if they hadn't picked up his option they would have been on the hook for a $500k buyout.

If they traded him for a 25 year-old minor league lifer, it would be more of a salary dump.

Right.

I do think it is more likely to be a young lottery pick type than what you suggest.

Either way very little chance to ever be a factor on a 25 man roster.