Vaccine/fans in the stands/revenue

wildcard

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Absurd?  Have you not been paying attention to the reaction to this?  I think half a season is being optimistic personally.

The reaction to what? This is all speculation.  Nothing has happened yet. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The reaction to what? This is all speculation.  Nothing has happened yet. 

Reaction to covid..the entire picture.  

And you are right, nothing has happened...not sure why that would mean you would call any opinion absurd about when fans are allowed back in the stands.

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I guess not.  I have my head in the clouds.  How dare I suggest we should get more than a half season worth of games. 

Nobody has debated (yet) what should happen.   But it’s certainly plausible (therefore not absurd) for someone to think that half a season or less will be played.  (Personally I just think it’s too early to guess.)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nobody has debated (yet) what should happen.   But it’s certainly plausible (therefore not absurd) for someone to think that half a season or less will be played.  (Personally I just think it’s too early to guess.)

Unlikely would have been a better word for me to use.  All signs point to the COVID situation being much better this Spring in comparison to last Spring.  If it was possible to play 80 games in 2020 it should be possible to play many more than that in 2021. 

We have a vaccine, protocols will be improved, and it will be possible to get fans back in the stands at some point in the season if even in a limited capacity. 

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I guess not.  I have my head in the clouds.  How dare I suggest we should get more than a half season worth of games. 

Of course we should..but nothing is saying fans will be in the stands for more than half of it, particularly for you to call that opinion absurd.  

33 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Early indications are its going to be like a million infections per week all through the winter months. Who knows what MLB will do about ST, but MLB players will likely be first in line for a vaccination, so maybe they will play the full 162.  Stands probably wont return to capacity until '22 at the earliest. 

Owners will try to play as few games as possible when the stands aren't full.   When they play games and pay players but aren't getting revenue from attendance, they don't like it.   The networks that pay for national TV don't care about the regular season, regular season games are low rated.   They pay what they pay for the right to broadcast the postseason.   Even the local TV money isn't always that big a deal as there are many teams that own their own networks (MASN, NESN, YES) so the rights fees paid are just a paper transaction.

So if you are an owner, you will play as few games in front of diminished crowds as you can get away with and still have a postseason to televise.

It's just a matter of what the union will agree to.   But the players getting vaccinated has NOTHING to do with whether they play 162.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We could have (and should have) played 80 games in 2020, so to think they won't greatly exceed that in 2021 seems unreasonable considering we have a vaccine now.  Not to mention, the fans just won't tolerate it.  

And what will we do about it?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quite frankly, I don't miss going to games.  Being selfish, I really don't care when fans are in the stadium and when they're not as I don't have much of an interest in going to games.  

I think the atmosphere of the game lacks so much without fans there, especially in a big game with a lot on the line.

I can't wait til there are sold out stadiums again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it's going to be a long time before we see that with any regularity.  If ever again.

That would be a real shame. I don't see what the point of a vaccine is if thing aren't going back to normal. I think we get full stands in 2021.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This was going to be the heat where I really wanted to start getting my kids into baseball, so not being able to go to games sucked.  Hopefully that’s short lived.

We'll be attending games in 2021.. there is light at the end of the tunnel.