Chris Davis: I’ll be at Spring Training and I’m not going anywhere

Legend_Of_Joey

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

LaRoche did it for his family and that's very respectful. Gil Meche though is the guy I respect because he walked away because he rather respect himself then collect money he could not earn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html

We've had these discussions in the past and there's always that guy or guys who say, "Which one of you would walk away?"

Well let me make this very clear, if I had made the amount of money that Davis has made already and was in his current predicament, yes, I would retire and walk away from the rest of the money because like Meche, I'd rather respect myself and I'd rather my kids be able to respect me and know that once I could not earn my paycheck, I gave it up. 

Some won't believe me, but anyone that really knows me would know that's true. 

I think this is more Davis' attitude. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Davis also said this:

“My desire to play has nothing to do with the amount of money that I’m owed or the amount of money I’m going to make. I want to play the game because I feel that I can still compete,” Davis said.

“I enjoy playing the game. I want to play the game, not only for myself, but for my teammates, for our fan base, for the people of Baltimore. I still feel like there’s something that I have left to give. And to be honest with you, I don’t really want my career to end on the note that it’s on right now.”

So, I don’t think it’s fair to interpret the other Davis statements as some kind of proverbial middle finger.    

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Davis also said this:

“My desire to play has nothing to do with the amount of money that I’m owed or the amount of money I’m going to make. I want to play the game because I feel that I can still compete,” Davis said.

“I enjoy playing the game. I want to play the game, not only for myself, but for my teammates, for our fan base, for the people of Baltimore. I still feel like there’s something that I have left to give. And to be honest with you, I don’t really want my career to end on the note that it’s on right now.”

So, I don’t think it’s fair to interpret the other Davis statements as some kind of proverbial middle finger.    

If he was making the league minimum (and the Orioles weren’t releasing him), I highly doubt he would be sticking around.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Davis also said this:

Oh so he’s just delusional?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I really don't care what he says.  I mean, he can drop his pants, turn around and bend over and tell the fanbase to kiss the fattest part of his ass and it wouldn't make me like him any less than I already do.

I'm fully prepared that we have to sit through two more seasons of having him on the roster.  Keeping him on the roster instead of cutting him and eating the rest of the contract has gone well beyond the point of logic and reasoning.  There's no good reason to have kept him on all this time, he's had plenty of chances to have gotten back on track and he just can't do it.  It is sunk cost and he gets in the way of letting other more deserving players getting playing time.

So after all these moments in time where it's seemed like it would be a logical time to cut him, they haven't.  Therefore, I am thinking this contract is going to have to run its course.  

At one point, I thought there was a decent chance that if Davis were cut (or if he retired) that his big homer seasons weren't far enough in the rearview mirror to where people wouldn't forget that he was good and a fun player when he was swinging well. 

IMO, those seasons are too far in the past.  Any chance of him wanting to have some sort of positive legacy is out the window.  The stank on his career is too much to get rid of.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Davis also said this:

Love you, Frobby, but this is the most bogus comment Davis has ever made. He CANT compete, and he knows it. He doesn’t care, and he knows that too.  What note Is his career going to end on? The same it would have ended on if he’d retired after any one of the previous four seasons. The Lord is busy with other things, so Miracles are not an option.

It’s hard to remain motivated when you can fund world war three or a moon landing all by yourself, and I don’t fault him for phoning it in for four years, but I DO fault him for thinking we are stupid enough to buy into his horse hockey. Dan used to do that to us, and it annoyed me just as much. 
regarding the money; the question of what I would do. I can answer that immediately for myself and I can give real examples( on a much lower level, of course)

i cannot comprehend 161 million dollars. I can barely comprehend one million dollars. I need little money for my wife and family and me, And my goal would be to use the rest of that incredible sum to help society. I like animals, the environment, social issues, and the like. I’d make Peter give me every dime, but I’d spend it all helping the problems in Baltimore. Funding education, finding new and effective ways to help people help themselves( not the old ways that accomplish nothing expensively,) I would approach peter and his boys and say “ let me take on a philanthropic role in the organization, I’ll retire as a player(, after we work out a deal so I get all my money) and then we will do our best as an organization to improve society in Baltimore.”

that’s what I would do. That is what every multimillionaire ball player SHOULD do when he retires. Meaningful “ give back”

Ive done that on a lower level even though I’m poor. And I damn sure know I’d do it if I were rich.

• Upvote 1