Orioles Select Tyler Wells, RHP (Twins)

weams

I don't understand the first pick, but hopefully that's because I don't have all the data. This one, however, makes sense to me. He dominated AA last we saw him and is now well removed from TJ surgery. If he can come in and show to be basically the same pitcher from 2018, I think they may be able to use him. It's worth the gamble.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why you don’t just keep Pop, who had TJ surgery and missed a lot of time too. He is two years younger and you didn’t have to keep him in the majors.

Yeah, doesn’t make sense. I think Elias may have outsmarted himself. It may have seemed worth the risk but even now an hour or so post-draft it appears there has been a dumb mistake. I don’t think it’ll end up being anything too consequential but I would bet that Pop has a better MLB career than our two rule 5 picks combined. 

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He last pitched in AA in 2018, when he was 24.   Who said he is "26 at AA"?  He missed 2019 with TJ surgery, and there was no minor league season in 2020.

I'm not saying it's a good pick but at least be accurate in your critique.

I must have misread the initial comment. It’s probably more accurate to say “he is 26 and has never pitched above AA,” or “he last pitched at 24, in AA”

so yeah, my bad. I still find it curious, and I’m interested in how it turns out. I’d like to know the logic.

I guess the infield logic is that we can find somebody better on the waiver wire, and I suppose that’s fair.

Just now, Philip said:

I must have misread the initial comment. It’s probably more accurate to say “he is 26 and has never pitched above AA,” or “he last pitched at 24, in AA”

so yeah, my bad. I still find it curious, and I’m interested in how it turns out. I’d like to know the logic.

I guess the infield logic is that we can find somebody better on the waiver wire, and I suppose that’s fair.

2 years lost to Tommy John & no minor league season.   Shrug.   Something everyone has to deal with in evaluating guys.

Yeah, I think we may end up signing a major league veteran infielder once it all shakes out.  One of the ones that doesn't get a big league contract offer from anyone else.   

Don’t forget that the O’s shared data with other teams and were able to video scout the alternate sites & instructional league.  They probably have a lot more data on Sceroler & Wells than the public does.  And they clearly view both as starter candidates, while Zach Pop is strictly a reliever.  I hate losing Pop, because he could end up being a very good reliever, but Elias and the brain trust clearly believe that Sceroler & Wells have more upside because of their ability to start.  Whether that translates to the majors remains to be seen, but that appears to be the thinking here with these selections.

• Upvote 1

If either of these guys turn into an ML starter, even a backend one (not likely), this will have been worth Pop and Fenter. I'm higher than most on Pop, but I doubt it's a foregone conclusion he spends the season with the Diamondbacks. IIRC, they're contenders right now, not rebuilders. As for Fenter, I doubt he's anything special. Solid middle reliever at best, almost certainly coming back to us