New shortstop option

ofan239

6 hours ago, ofan239 said:

I saw the Padres were making a serious run at Ha Seong Kim . If that is the case I wonder if they would consider trading Jake Cronenworth who I would think would make an excellent addition to our team. He played shortsop and second base and if they get Ha Seong Kim I would think he would be their be their second baseman with shortstop and  third base already filled with Machado and Fernando Tatis . If available what would it take to get him . I would think the Os could get him at a reasonable price .354 on base percentage last year . Put him at short . But could also cover other infield spots as well . Thoughts ? I am just looking at other options besides others such as Freddy Galvis .

Kind of serious feedback...

If the Padres really are also about to trade for Darvish, they might actually want some prospects in their system. Might be able to pull off a trade for a couple of mediocre guys with a little upside.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I look for range, arm strength and good hands.   His career fielding percentage in the majors is over 970 at all three positions.  Instead of just making a smart... comment.  Evaluate his defense and say something brilliant.

Although I definitely agree with the sentiment, I must point out that a career fielding percentage of .970 isn’t that great.

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

Although I definitely agree with the sentiment, I must point out that a career fielding percentage of .970 isn’t that great.

What I’d say is that career fielding percentage isn’t that great a statistic.    It tells you nothing about the player’s range.     

FWIW, average fielding % at SS last year was .971.     

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meanwhile, if were not going to make a meaningful improvement, why not just keep Martin?

It depends on your opinion of Martin.   -1.3 rWAR  (-1.0 fWAR) is pretty dismal.    To bring him back you have to believe either that (1) those numbers don’t actually reflect his performance, or (2) that he will improve a lot even though he didn’t play in 2020.    Otherwise, you can look for some 0.0 WAR type on the waiver wire.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It depends on your opinion of Martin.   -1.3 rWAR  (-1.0 fWAR) is pretty dismal.    To bring him back you have to believe either that (1) those numbers don’t actually reflect his performance, or (2) that he will improve a lot even though he didn’t play in 2020.    Otherwise, you can look for some 0.0 WAR type on the waiver wire.   

You forgot #3...the team doesn’t care about winning games and as long as Martin catches the ball, he fills the need of what they want.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You forgot #3...the team doesn’t care about winning games and as long as Martin catches the ball, he fills the need of what they want.

Well, if you believe any of the advanced metrics, he didn’t catch the ball well.   

Rtot -8

Rdrs -14

UZR -4.2

OAA -5

Personally I didn’t think he looked quite that bad, but when every advanced metric points in the same direction, it’s hard to argue with that direction.    

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, we have him now. No reason not to see if he can improve. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Ok, go find a SS that has a 970 fielding pct or better,  a 670 OPS or better and is available to the O's for a 1/1.5m salary or less.    Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, if you believe any of the advanced metrics, he didn’t catch the ball well.   

Rtot -8

Rdrs -14

UZR -4.2

OAA -5

Personally I didn’t think he looked quite that bad, but when every advanced metric points in the same direction, it’s hard to argue with that direction.    

Well, that is the thing right?  You have to believe he can catch it.  Or McCoy.  But if you think they can, why not just play them?

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No you forget.   Elias wants his player to play at AAA before being promoted to the major.  He wants them to prove they can hit and field before he give them a shot in the major.   

Elias as already said he needs to add infielder after the Iglesias trade.  He has already ticketed Martin for AAA before the shutdown last year.

Odds are pretty strong that Martin in not the O's starting SS in 2021.  Elias has said more positive thing about Sanchez play SS than Martin.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

No you forget.   Elias wants his player to play at AAA before being promoted to the major.  He wants them to prove they can hit and field before he give them a shot in the major.   

Elias as already said he needs to add infielder after the Iglesias trade.  He has already ticketed Martin for AAA before the shutdown last year.

Odds are pretty strong that Martin in not the O's starting SS in 2021.  Elias has said more positive thing about Sanchez play SS than Martin.

I think Elias wants to control their promotions to best serve the long term interest of the team. 

If the team does become competitive while he is here I expect guys to get promoted more quickly if they can help the team.

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Martin is nothing for the long term.  Bringing him up now is meaningless.  He has had plenty of MiL time.

They are being cheap and lazy.  They don’t want real options for the position..so bring up what you already have.  Bringing in the Wade LeBlanc equivalent at SS on some MiL deal means nothing.  

Either get someone real or go with what you have.  Riding the fence between those 2 options is just dumb.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Ok, go find a SS that has a 970 fielding pct or better,  a 670 OPS or better and is available to the O's for a 1/1.5m salary or less.    Good Luck.

You mean a unicorn? Can’t do it. Why spend a lot of money for someone you don’t want, when you’ve got someone just as mediocre already? Happy to have Martin for now. How long till Hall is ready? Or Henderson?