New shortstop option

ofan239

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think he is has good as Galvis.   But looks like a good fielder in his highlights on MLB.  Can play SS, 3B, or 2B.    He hits about as well as Galvis, Sanchez or Ruiz.  And the O's can probably sign him for 1.5m.    The problem is his history shows some injuries.   Like Galvis he is 31.  

I hope Elias gets Galvis but if he does want to come to Baltimore or he wants too much money, I see Adrianza as a decent defensive fall back player.  I think the combination of Adrianza and Sanchez can cover SS in 2021 if that is the best the Elias can find.

Martin needs to go to AAA to show he can hit.   I don't like Robertson.  Rays tried him at SS and he failed.

I am not hard over for him.  Would be glad if someone came up with someone better.  But I have not seen it yet.

Galvis sucks! Why not just go with Martin rather than wasting money on a guy with an OBP under .300

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Galvis sucks! Why not just go with Martin rather than wasting money on a guy with an OBP under .300

Because that is the development method that Elias has followed.   Players spend time at AAA before they  are promoted to the majors.  Its the best way to make sure they are ready and gives them the best chance to succeed.  Its what Elias does.

He is willing to spend a little on  stopgap players to give his prospects time to develop.  And although Martin was a Rule 5 guy, he has not gone through he steps that Elias believes are the best for his development.

What if he goes to Norfolk and puts up a 300/368/439/807 the way he did at AA for a couple months.   Then he could be considered a potential starting SS and get his chance then.  He has 3 options and he is still cheap for another year or two depending on how much time he spends at AAA.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Because that is the development method that Elias has followed.   Players spend time at AAA before they  are promoted to the majors.  Its the best way to make sure they are ready and gives them the best chance to succeed.  Its what Elias does.

He is willing to spend a little on  stopgap players to give his prospects time to develop.  And although Martin was a Rule 5 guy, he has not gone through he steps that Elias believes are the best for his development.

What if he goes to Norfolk and puts up a 300/368/439/807 the way he did at AA for a couple months.   Then he could be considered a potential starting SS and get his chance then.  He has 3 options and he is still cheap for another year or two depending on how much time he spends at AAA.

Mountcastle won the AAA MVP and didn't get a September call-up and had no chance of making the team out of spring training the following year.

It isn't about proving yourself.

It is about controlling the player's service time.

Elias is slow rolling promotions to concentrate talent in an attempt to create a window of competitiveness.

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle won the AAA MVP and didn't get a September call-up and had no chance of making the team out of spring training the following year.

It isn't about proving yourself.

It is about controlling the player's service time.

Elias is slow rolling promotions to concentrate talent in an attempt to create a window of competitiveness.

Isn’t Martin’s clock already running. I don’t mind the Os being cheap as long as it makes sense. But at least get a MLB player or go with what you have. Galvis is a AAAA player. 

Would this trade work to get Cronenworth ?

padres get

yusniel Diaz or Austin Hays and Alexander wells 

Os get 

Jake Cronenworth 

padres get a major league or close to major league ready outfielder and pitching prospect that may or may not pan out 

orioles get

shortstop of the immediate future or if doesn’t work out a player that could play cf or second base at worst . They would finally also have a legit lead off hitter .

if I am Elias after the Darvish trade went down first call I make is to San Diego to see if he’s available . He’s the kind of player this team sorely needs and what Elias has been trying to acquire if you look at his drafts and trades 

11 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Isn’t Martin’s clock already running. I don’t mind the Os being cheap as long as it makes sense. But at least get a MLB player or go with what you have. Galvis is a AAAA player. 

I don't think even Elias is worried about Martin's clock but for you record if you send a guy down it stops his clock.

10 minutes ago, ofan239 said:

padres get

Os get 

Jake Cronenworth 

No way the O's make that deal. Diaz and Hays still have potential to be first division starters. Cronenworth, apparently not. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd try to find their roster weakness and see if he's a fit, but not in exchange for one of our penciled in 2022 and forward starters. You're talking about acquiring a stop gap starter who doesn't provide great defense at the most important defensive position. His price should only be so high.

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

No way the O's make that deal. Diaz and Hays still have potential to be first division starters. Cronenworth, apparently not. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd try to find their roster weakness and see if he's a fit, but not in exchange for one of our penciled in 2022 and forward starters. You're talking about acquiring a stop gap starter who doesn't provide great defense at the most important defensive position. His price should only be so high.

Cronenworth is every bit as likely to be a starter as Hays is.

On 12/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, ofan239 said:

padres get

Os get 

Jake Cronenworth 

padres get a major league or close to major league ready outfielder and pitching prospect that may or may not pan out 

orioles get

shortstop of the immediate future or if doesn’t work out a player that could play cf or second base at worst . They would finally also have a legit lead off hitter .

if I am Elias after the Darvish trade went down first call I make is to San Diego to see if he’s available . He’s the kind of player this team sorely needs and what Elias has been trying to acquire if you look at his drafts and trades 

I might trade Diaz for Cronenworth and put Cronenworth at 3B.   He is a former relief pitcher.  Has a strong arm.  Has shown mobility at 2B.   Played a little 3B in the minors.  He is a hitter.   

Padres are talking about trying him in the outfield.  Diaz is a corner outfielder.  Both should be good major leaguers for the next 5 years.   I would make that trade.

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

On a contending team?

Seems to me that Hays has much more upside. I'm not trading that for a lower division starter.

How does Hays have more upside?  He’s never healthy, doesn’t have a good OBp and we still don’t know if he can handle CF everyday. 

I like Hays but you seem to be overrating him.  We have zero idea what we have with him right now.  

I would bet on Cronenworth being the more likely guy to be a ML contributor long term vs Hays even if Hays has the higher upside.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

How does Hays have more upside?  He’s never healthy, doesn’t have a good OBp and we still don’t know if he can handle CF everyday. 

I like Hays but you seem to be overrating him.  We have zero idea what we have with him right now.  

I would bet on Cronenworth being the more likely guy to be a ML contributor long term vs Hays even if Hays has the higher upside.

You ask about Hays' upside and then go on to mention the risk. I get the risk, but surely you see the upside in a guy who plays a plus CF and hits with plus power. His warts are OBP and health, kind of like Adam Jones when he was young. Heck, I think Hays is a better CF than Jones with a similar hit tool. Health is the big concern there.

I could be wrong on Cronenworth, but I smell something very fishy when a team imports an expensive foreign player who has never played against this level of competition when they have a guy in-house who is that good. Either they think they got a great deal on a foreign stud (which is possible), or he has real warts too.