Marlins trade targets?

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it’s your opinion that it’s less than his value.  His value is what teams will pay for it.

If your argument is that you wouldn’t deal him for what I think his value, that’s fine. It’s a fair stance to take.  I just don’t agree with you. 

Personally, I think your idea of what a trade should bring us means you would never make a trade.  At the time of any trade, if you trade an established player, you will never receive more than their value. 

The Rays traded Archer for Baz, Glasnow and Meadows.  At the time of the trade, they gave up a high value, CY type arm and got 3 prospects.  By your definition, they shouldn’t have made that trade.  

The Orioles traded Bedard for Jones, Tillman and 3 others.  Bedard was worth more at the time of the trade.  Are you glad they made that move or was that a mistake?

Of course if the team seeking to trade for Santander doesn't offer what we perceive his value to be, we don't make the trade.  I said exactly that. 

In the Bedard trade, there was very good reason to believe that Jones and Tillman, in particular,  would pan out and provide the Orioles greater value than 2 years of Bedard.  In the trade you are proposing here, it seems very unlikely that we would receive back the value of 4 years of Santander.  Huge difference.

Of course we are talking about our opinions here.  It's what we do.  ?

Just now, Number5 said:

Of course if the team seeking to trade for Santander doesn't offer what we perceive his value to be, we don't make the trade.  I said exactly that. 

In the Bedard trade, there was very good reason to believe that Jones and Tillman, in particular,  would pan out and provide the Orioles greater value than 2 years of Bedard.  In the trade you are proposing here, it seems very unlikely that we would receive back the value of 4 years of Santander.  Huge difference.

Of course we are talking about our opinions here.  It's what we do.  ?

Santander isn’t likely going to be here for 4 years. You are trading him for one or maybe 2 years worth of his value and his value, as of right now, is completely up in the air.  No matter how much you like the guy, you have zero idea what he is.  All he has shown so far is that he has good power, doesn’t walk much and can’t stay healthy.

Everything else about his game is up in the air.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander isn’t likely going to be here for 4 years. You are trading him for one or maybe 2 years worth of his value and his value, as of right now, is completely up in the air.  No matter how much you like the guy, you have zero idea what he is.  All he has shown so far is that he has good power, doesn’t walk much and can’t stay healthy.

Everything else about his game is up in the air.  

Oh, come on.  He has 4 years of service time remaining.  Whether you think the Orioles will trade him during that time doesn't change that.

If the Orioles and the other MLB teams share your view of Santander's value, none of this matters, as no offers will be forthcoming.  I don't suspect that is the case, though.  I get it, you don't like the guy.

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Oh, come on.  He has 4 years of service time remaining.  Whether you think the Orioles will trade him during that time doesn't change that.

If the Orioles and the other MLB teams share your view of Santander's value, none of this matters, as no offers will be forthcoming.  I don't suspect that is the case, though.  I get it, you don't like the guy.

I have said I think he is a solid player with more upside than he currently has.  

How does that translate into me not liking him?  

And no, he only has 1-2 years worth of value to the Os.  He is likely to be a 3-6 WAR player for the next 2 seasons.  That is what you are trying to replace.  

I assume you were and still are against the Bundy trade, right?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I have said I think he is a solid player with more upside than he currently has.  

How does that translate into me not liking him?  

And no, he only has 1-2 years worth of value to the Os.  He is likely to be a 3-6 WAR player for the next 2 seasons.  That is what you are trying to replace.  

I assume you were and still are against the Bundy trade, right?

The player has 4 years of service time remaining.  To pretend otherwise is just silly.

34 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The player has 4 years of service time remaining.  To pretend otherwise is just silly.

But he doesn’t have 4 years with us.  When you trade him, yea the team getting him gets 4 years but the Os don’t have to think that way.  They will trade him, in all likelihood, between now and the offseason prior to 2023.  The Os have to decide if it’s worth keeping him around that long or if his sketchy history means to get good value right now.

Thats almost always the determination in any trade.  For me, I deal him because of his injury history(if I’m looking at it solely from the perspective of him and it the entirety of the situation).  It is very possible that he plays 55 games this year and the Os are faced with the decision to non tender him after this season..and then you get nothing  for him.   I personally would rather not take that risk, provided that the right deal is there for him (of course, that should go without saying).  

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it’s your opinion that it’s less than his value.  His value is what teams will pay for it.

If your argument is that you wouldn’t deal him for what I think his value, that’s fine. It’s a fair stance to take.  I just don’t agree with you. 

Personally, I think your idea of what a trade should bring us means you would never make a trade.  At the time of any trade, if you trade an established player, you will never receive more than their value. 

The Rays traded Archer for Baz, Glasnow and Meadows.  At the time of the trade, they gave up a high value, CY type arm and got 3 prospects.  By your definition, they shouldn’t have made that trade.  

The Orioles traded Bedard for Jones, Tillman and 3 others.  Bedard was worth more at the time of the trade.  Are you glad they made that move or was that a mistake?

In regards to the bolded, while this is true, the same is true for other offers we were rumored to have received. One was from the Dodgers for Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp. Another was from the Reds for Joey Votto and our choice of Johnny Cueto or Homer Bailey.