Update: Orioles sign 17 international players highlighted by Basallo and Hernandez

connja

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This link says Maikol Hernandez has some Carlos Correa to him, hopefully not the douchebag part and he can stay healthy.  And they put us in the top tier class with the Rays, so that's nice to see.

In the absence of first hand accounts of players, this is essentially the best thing we can see today. If in the aggregate we're in the top tier, it's a game changer if sustained.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

JZ became a true stud.  Perennial allstar.  Glad we made that move :)

Makes me wonder what goes through the mind of Duquette and all the recent Orioles GM’s on a day like today. 

Like telling a NFL GM they can’t pick players from a major conference. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Makes me wonder what goes through the mind of Duquette and all the recent Orioles GM’s on a day like today. 

Like telling a NFL GM they can’t pick players from a major conference. 

That's a really good analogy.

I don't think DD was against trying to sign players from South America.  I believe it was Fat Pete that held that up.  

In my mind, I like to think Elias said "You can't hire me unless you give me access to the international markets, specifically South America."

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's a really good analogy.

I don't think DD was against trying to sign players from South America.  I believe it was Fat Pete that held that up.  

In my mind, I like to think Elias said "You can't hire me unless you give me access to the international markets, specifically South America."

I admit I was too busy enjoying the 2012-16 run to be as upset about it as I should have been at the time. 

It’s remarkable how Peter justified what he did. You could basically invest a decades worth of International signings for what they gave Ubaldo. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Interesting, all offensive players so far. Not surprising they all list as SS, OF and C, I'm sure in professional baseball we will see many of those SS move to other places in the infield.

I believe it was previously reported that there was only one pitcher expected in the O’s class.   Last year on the other hand was very pitcher-heavy. 

Edit: Melewski says two pitchers.   Last year 24 of 44 were pitchers.   

2 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Idea for the site.  Add a top 15 International FA ranking with a write up.  As the Orioles are now knee deep in this market, it only makes sense.

Problem is, Tony has never laid eyes on these guys, or anyone who played in the DSL in 2019 or got signed during J2 2019.    So, there’s really no basis for judgment other than size of bonus and very sketchy reports from other sources.   Maybe we’ll have some idea about these guys after the 2021 MiL season is played, assuming they do play.  

• Upvote 1

“Today is a landmark day for the Orioles organization and its international efforts,” said Mike Elias, Orioles executive vice president and general manager. “It marks the first time in club history that we have signed seven-figure prospects on J2. Thanks to the backing of the partnership group, and the excellent work Koby (Perez) and his team have done, we believe this historic signing class will substantially accelerate the construction of our strong pipeline in the international scene, which will benefit the organization for years to come.”

Perez, the club’s senior director of international scouting, added: “The excitement and strong showing of today’s signing news is a tribute to the hard work of our staff. Being in year two of retooling our international presence and having to deal with a pandemic is not an easy process, and I couldn’t be prouder of what we have been able to accomplish. We know Orioles fans are excited for what we are building, and today is a momentous step forward in making the Orioles a household name in the international market.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/basallo-and-hernandez-head-up-os-international-class.html

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

has some Carlos Correa to him, hopefully not the douchebag part

I want to make a joke like Mike has known him since he was 12 years old, and he's actually a very nice person, but Correa did come through the Rule 4 draft.   

Good to have the unopened Fleer box, and maybe we see some of these guys in Delmarva in a few years.

I did notice Grabiel Salazar's 2.19.2001 DOB in the list; September 2003 was second place.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Problem is, Tony has never laid eyes on these guys, or anyone who played in the DSL in 2019 or got signed during J2 2019.    So, there’s really no basis for judgment other than size of bonus and very sketchy reports from other sources.   Maybe we’ll have some idea about these guys after the 2021 MiL season is played, assuming they do play.  

Right. No one really knows much about these 16 year olds.  There are a few sports guys who go to the distant lands and speak the language and get tips from the buscones.