The Orioles top underrated prospect

Moose Milligan

Jim Bowden (shut up) has an article on The Athletic today about each franchise's top underrated prospect.  Here's ours:

Baltimore Orioles

Jordan Westburg, SS

Scouting grades:
HIT: 50 PWR: 55 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 50

The Orioles selected Westburg with the 30th overall pick in 2020, a Competitive Balance Round A pick. How he dropped that far is puzzling. He’s an above-average defender at shortstop with plus range and a plus arm. He has a short, compact swing with above-average bat speed and projects to a 20-25 home run-type power bat. He’s a pull hitter right now, but once he learns to use the whole field and improves his pitch recognition, he’ll fly through the O’s farm system. He’s the Orioles’ third-best position-player prospect, behind only catcher Adley Rutschman and outfielder Heston Kjerstad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Jim Bowden (shut up) has an article on The Athletic today about each franchise's top underrated prospect.  Here's ours:

Baltimore Orioles

Jordan Westburg, SS

Scouting grades:
HIT: 50 PWR: 55 RUN: 55 ARM: 60 FLD: 50

The Orioles selected Westburg with the 30th overall pick in 2020, a Competitive Balance Round A pick. How he dropped that far is puzzling. He’s an above-average defender at shortstop with plus range and a plus arm. He has a short, compact swing with above-average bat speed and projects to a 20-25 home run-type power bat. He’s a pull hitter right now, but once he learns to use the whole field and improves his pitch recognition, he’ll fly through the O’s farm system. He’s the Orioles’ third-best position-player prospect, behind only catcher Adley Rutschman and outfielder Heston Kjerstad.

Gunnar Henderson might have something to say about that.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s probably Baumann.  There is almost no talk about him anywhere.

Except here.. ;)

As for Westburg, I've heard very good things about him and his tools. Looking forward to seeing him against professional pitching.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It sure seems like Westburg, Kjerstad and Henderson will be atop our rankings for the next couple of years when all of AR, Grayson, Hall and Mountcastle have graduated. 

Baumann is the guy for me though. I feel like the other three actually are recognized. Westburg vaulted Baumann in many/most national rankings, right? I feel like Baumann might even  be vaulting Hall in real life, but who knows?

I raised this in a thread yesterday on the Minors forum, but I feel like a guy who has potential to make a big jump this year is Stowers. I'm not arguing it's likely, just that it's possible he could mash and really put himself in our future OF picture. But he's actually off the radar, not "off the radar but in your top 10" like Westburg.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, LookinUp said:

It sure seems like Westburg, Kjerstad and Henderson will be atop our rankings for the next couple of years when all of AR, Grayson, Hall and Mountcastle have graduated. 

Baumann is the guy for me though. I feel like the other three actually are recognized. Westburg vaulted Baumann in many/most national rankings, right? I feel like Baumann might even  be vaulting Hall in real life, but who knows?

I raised this in a thread yesterday on the Minors forum, but I feel like a guy who has potential to make a big jump this year is Stowers. I'm not arguing it's likely, just that it's possible he could mash and really put himself in our future OF picture. But he's actually off the radar, not "off the radar but in your top 10" like Westburg.

As I said in a few chats during my prospect rankings, I almost jumped Baumann over Hall because of what I heard at the alternate site this year. Saying that, I agree that Baumann is probably the most underrated prospects nationally for me. This is a guy who was throwing 98 MPH in the 9th inning of no-hitter in 2019 ay AA.

If his change has really come around as some reports suggested and the slider has really become a K pitch for him, then he's got as much chance as anyone in the organization right now of becoming a solid major league starter. 

I just can't wait to see these guys back on the field and playing again.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As I said in a few chats during my prospect rankings, I almost jumped Baumann over Hall because of what I hear at the alternate site this year. Saying that, I agree that Baumann is probably the most underrated prospects nationally for me. This is a guy who was throwing 98 MPH in the 9th inning of no-hitter in 2019 ay AA.

If his change has really come around as some reports suggested and the slider has really become a K pitch for him, then he's got as much chance as anyone in the organization right now of becoming a solid major league starter. 

I just can't wait to see these guys back on the field and playing again.

Amen (or should I see a women? :)  )

I want there to be as full a MiL season as possible.  If I had to choose, I would prefer more MiL to more ML games this year.  The Os need to get these kids some experience.  

Huge year in the development of this organization.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Amen (or should I see a women? :)  )

I want there to be as full a MiL season as possible.  If I had to choose, I would prefer more MiL to more ML games this year.  The Os need to get these kids some experience.  

Huge year in the development of this organization.

I really felt that MLB dropped the ball with the minor leagues last year. They could have put these players and coaches into spring training complexes in FL and AZ and got them some more games and experience. But, that's over and hopefully we will get a full minor league season this year, or at least some kind of significant season for players.

• Upvote 1

I can see Westburg or Baumann, absolutely. Looking further down the list, I think Joey Ortiz may be the most underrated and is my sleeper pick for 2021. I keep reading that he is stronger and vastly improved in his mechanics and approach. Elias and Blood have gone out of their way several times to praise him and his improvements. We'll see. Kyle Bradish may be the other who makes a big leap.

• Upvote 1

To me Bauman doesn't seem underrated.  I felt like everyone was in agreement that he's a dude.  He's always in the middle of major publications' org top 10s.  I feel someone like a Drew Rom or Toby Welk, even a Adam Hall is more from that underrated column. 

Westburg doesn't seem underrated either since he was essentially a 1st round pick.  He's a good ball player, but for some reason I don't fall in love with the film that is available on him.  I hope he does well, but from what I saw, I feel like there are better swings and gloves in our system.  I could see some writers considering him for most overrated prospect in the O's system too.  Either way, he has enough talent to be considered in most prospect talk, and he could end up being a stud.  What is his ceiling?  JJ Hardy type?

It'll be fun to see who turns out better among Servideo, Westburg, and Henderson - not to mention Hall.  At least I hope it's fun.  If we play them all together, who plays which position?  (no Abbott and Costello routine permitted)

I still think Rylan Bannon is very underrated, but I bow to the more educated observers.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It'll be fun to see who turns out better among Servideo, Westburg, and Henderson - not to mention Hall.  At least I hope it's fun.  If we play them all together, who plays which position?  (no Abbott and Costello routine permitted)

I still think Rylan Bannon is very underrated, but I bow to the more educated observers.  

Can I cast a vote of Hernaiz?  I think he's fallen completely off the radar through no fault of his own.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can I cast a vote of Hernaiz?  I think he's fallen completely off the radar through no fault of his own.

If I allow him, someone will insist I add Jean Carmona, and all kinds of craziness will ensue.  It's a slippery slope.  My hands are tied... but that's another story.