Thorne, Bordick, Dempsey and Tom Davis amongst those let go

Sports Guy

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

https://theathletic.com/2340440/2021/01/22/sources-masn-planning-major-programming-and-personnel-cuts-for-2021-season/?source=user_shared_article

On Friday, longtime broadcaster Jim Hunter tweeted news of his departure, which he said “was not his choice.” Others who were let go from the Orioles include Mike Bordick, Dave Johnson, Tom Davis, Rick Dempsey and Gary Thorne. 

No More pre game show either.  MASN cutting costs.

C.R.E.A.M.  Cash rules everything around me.  Time to replace those infomercials with a blank screen. 

Bummed about the lack of a pregame show. Seems amateurish. Surprised about Bordick, but not disappointed. The writing was on the wall with the rest.

Thorne is a bummer, but I'm sure his salary was higher than the rest of the broadcasting team. He isn't an all time great broadcaster, but his voice is so familiar games seemed more important when he was calling them.

I liked the broadcasting teams last year, so it really isn't that much of a loss, but not having a studio crew just makes the operation seem low rent.

5 hours ago, $Greatness$ said:

I'm so heartbroken about Thorne. The others as well, but Gary Thorne was that man to me. So cruel, Angelos Boys. So cruel!

Not really. Think about it. Gary Thorne didn't come to terms until August last year. So he missed basically 1st half of O's season. On top of that it was a 1 year contract. He wasn't fired, he just wasn't resigned. Just like any other FA.

3 minutes ago, BradyBunch said:

Honestly the broadcasts got stale. Palmer popping up for a few innings to tell little stories last year was all that worked.

Not a huge fan of Ben McDonald. But that's the new blood they are going with. Ah well.

That 53 year old new blood.

I like Ben but I'd also like someone who is younger and analytic savvy in the booth.

Jim Palmer when he shows up to announce his first game of next season.

Also what is the point of having a team sports network if you get rid of the pre-game, post-game and other shows like Wall to Wall Baseball. Just partner with Fox Sports or Comcast, where they will provide more than just bare bones coverage of the games. 

giphy.gif

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That 53 year old new blood.

I like Ben but I'd also like someone who is younger and analytic savvy in the booth.

I guess the question is - what percentage of the viewing fan base is really interested in analytics?  The people that tune in somewhere between 2 and 7 times per week to watch the Os?

It's entertainment after all.  How much of an audience is there for an analytic slanted broadcast?  And taking the pulse of a site like OH, which has a fairly sophisticated segment of the fan base, won't answer that question.