Updates on young OFers

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Can Stewart have a 240/350/450 type slash line.  If so, he has value while he’s cheap.

I think his slugging and OBp could get higher but I think his floor is low too.

I could see Stewart around there though I could also see his average stay lower. I agree on the floor because I'm a little concerned over the fact he didn't hit at all outside of that 9-game Barry Bonds-like streak. 

Stewart though is one of the guys I'm going to see what I got in 2021. There is a chance he's a .340 WOBA/.800 OPS guy and like you said, while he's cheap, there's value in that at DH.

You have nothing to lose by not giving Stewart 400 at bats this year.

He does have power and he will likely have a good OBP.  We need some of that.

I personally don’t feel he is some awful OFer but I also think I would prefer to see other players out there but he can fill in out there from time to time if needs be.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

At this point I think you have to look at Stewart as primarily a DH who can play the OF in a pinch.  His speed and range are still better than most fans think, just because they see a tubby guy and assume he must be slow, but his simple coordination on fly balls just isn't going to play on a routine basis out there.  He seems to really struggle with the glove-side while running, which isn't all that uncommon.

Forget what he looks like, just go by his statcast metrics:

Percentile:
38th in sprint speed
36th in Outs above average
28th in OF jump

Now he did come out average catch % added overall which means he's not awful out there, but his metrics tell us it's more than he's an awkward looking chubby guy out there with an inconsistent arm.

In my mind he's a DH that you can play in the corners on occasion but it will be hit or miss whether he will do something to hurt you out there. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Percentile:
38th in sprint speed
28th in OF jump

Now he did come out average catch % added overall which means he's not awful out there, but his metrics tell us it's more than he's an awkward looking chubby guy out there with an inconsistent arm.

In my mind he's a DH that you can play in the corners on occasion but it will be hit or miss whether he will do something to hurt you out there. 

These are good stats.  

But he seems to turn almost any flyball into an adventure.  He doesn't pass the eye test and it has nothing to do with his build, IMO.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Can Stewart have a 240/350/450 type slash line.  If so, he has value while he’s cheap.

I think his slugging and OBp could get higher but I think his floor is low too.

I think the best measure of Stewart is his career .224/.334/.433.     He’s still inexperienced so maybe he can get in the range you suggest.   I agree that’s about the best we could expect.   

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

These are good stats.  

But he seems to turn almost any flyball into an adventure.  He doesn't pass the eye test and it has nothing to do with his build, IMO.

Agreed.  He looks AWFUL in the OF - because he is awful - not his body type - and not because of the one play where he injured himself trying to play the OF.  Even if he can run north/south, he's way too stiff with a poor throwing arm to become an adequate corner OFer.  He makes Marcell Ozuna look like a gold glover.    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Percentile:
38th in sprint speed
28th in OF jump

Thanks for these numbers.   I would interpret them to mean Stewart is solidly below average defensively, not really in the “awful” range.   For example, the top of Outfield Jump is +5.2 feet vs. average and the bottom is -5.2.   At -1.2 is far from the worst.   In Outs Above average the range was +7 to -5; Stewart was at 0.    Corner OF sprint speed generally ranges between 25-30 ft/sec and Stewart is at 26.5.

I don't know that 400 PA necessary - I'll be itchy around 150 for the Stewart Diaz switch if Stewart isn't Pipping him, and Diaz is handling AAA.

Stewart clearly has one of the team's best Eyes (a badly needed attribute in Orioles hitters), but his Contact rate was Davis-range.   If he can make a decent improvement there, I can see him menacing some pitchers, but if you are struggling to touch pitches that you can tell are strikes, I'm not sure if going far past a month or six weeks would do anyone much good.

I don't want to say his hot streak last summer was full Davis Spring Training mode, but I think before it pitchers were just getting bolder and bolder.   Good for him for making pitchers think about him.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for these numbers.   I would interpret them to mean Stewart is solidly below average defensively, not really in the “awful” range.   For example, the top of Outfield Jump is +5.2 feet vs. average and the bottom is -5.2.   At -1.2 is far from the worst.   In Outs Above average the range was +7 to -5; Stewart was at 0.    Corner OF sprint speed generally ranges between 25-30 ft/sec and Stewart is at 26.5.

What keeps Stewart at DH is that 4 or 5 of the O's outfielders are better defensively than him and Elias seem focused on making Mountcastle a leftfielder.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

What keeps Stewart at DH is that 4 or 5 of the O's outfielders are better defensively than him and Elias seem focused on making Mountcastle a leftfielder.

There's really no where else for Mountcastle to play this season. Mancini will be the likely 1B as long as health permits, and unfortunately Davis is going to take some AB's at first. Hopefully at some point this season this will clear up some and Mountcastle can play first effectively.

DJ Stewart wasn’t just a participant. He was a driving force behind the [mini-camp] idea.

“The first thing I can say is this guy will work harder than anybody else we have out there,” said first base coach and outfield instructor Anthony Sanders, who ran the camp with minor league coaches Matt Packer and Anthony Villa.

“He’s putting the time in. He’s one of the guys who kind of pushed to have this camp and work on some stuff that he knows he needs to. He just needs to continue to slow the game down. In practice and everything he’s done a great job. He had a great minicamp. And it’s a big year for DJ. The way he finished off last year and the adversity he had when he struggled at the beginning and how he finished was awesome to see.

“DJ, for a bigger guy he’s more athletic than people think he is.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/01/more-from-sanders-on-outfielders-at-minicamp-and-one-who-wasnt.html