O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

LookinUp

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think you're completely naive, but Galvis is here on a one year deal.  Richie Martin will probably be with the organization next year.  I doubt Galvis will be.

So if Martin levels his game up this year while in AA or AAA, he might have a shot next year.  He'll be in his age 27 season.  Certainly not a prospect anymore but will have some room to grow.  

Richie Martin is still with the Os? Richie Martin is still in baseball as a player?  He definitely has room to grow, but a would bet dollars to donuts he isn’t on the opening day roster for the Os next year. 

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Richie Martin is still with the Os? Richie Martin is still in baseball as a player?  He definitely has room to grow, but a would bet dollars to donuts he isn’t on the opening day roster for the Os next year. 

He might rip it up this year in the minors and earn it. Doubtful, but who knows?

12 hours ago, sevastras said:

What is that based on? Is Gunnar Henderson going to amaze in spring training and win the spot? Are they going to sign Carlos Correa for SS? Are we assuming that Martin will fall flat on his face in AAA or get injured again? He can't even win a utility role?

A ton of big name SS on market next year. Chris Taylor is a guy I would have interest in. I’m sure contending teams would love to him also. That said he won’t make huge money like the top of the class would.  I know he could wind up at 2nd.  

15 hours ago, sevastras said:

Martin is down at the alternate site and from what I heard, has been one of the most impressive players down there.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin is down at the alternate site and from what I heard, has been one of the most impressive players down there.

I wouldn’t count him out at all.    This is obviously a big year for him and I fully expect he will spend some time on the major league roster this season.   

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Galvis has been a great pickup. You can’t do better than what he’s been so far as a stop gap. Especially considering how we really don’t have any MLB quality/ready IF depth. 

He’s been a pleasure to watch. 

Agree. Galvis has been a great signing. Maybe not as much range as he did a few years ago. But you cant argue with a .780 OPS. 

8 hours ago, Aglets said:

Galvis:  .265 / .315 / .470

Iglesias:  .265 / .279 / .343

We criticize Elias pretty darn quickly for the Zach Pop type mistakes.....we should give him credit for the hits as well.

Well yes, but Galvis will play one season for us while we aren’t contenders whereas Pop might have been a key bullpen member on a future team.  

And in both cases, jury’s out on how they’ll do over the course of 162 games.