2021 Spring Training Tracker

Tony-OH

I appreciate your handicapping some of the players: when I compared the stuff of the rule five guys, I thought Wells appeared to have a higher ceiling than Sceroler, and was curious why it appeared to be the other way around.

I hope that you will continue to share your thoughts about which guys are doing better or worse, it’s way too early to make definite conclusions, but certainly not too early to suggest that a guy is helping or hindering his chances.

My own feeling is that every guy who has an option is going down, and the guys not on the roster will only be added if they are really contributing.

And Sulser and Goudeau are on the DFA hot seat.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Matt Harvey (NRI)
(3/1) Hasn't pitched well in the majors since 2018 and was hammered last year in Kansas City. His lost spin on his stuff but will be given an opportunity to win a spot in the rotation or possibly in the pen.

When I squint real hard through my orange colored glasses, and catch a vision out of a mirror in the corner of the room, I see a guy who still has his velocity, converted to a sinker ball pitcher, is comeback player of the year material, dominates in a couple starts heading to the trading deadline, and some really good prospect in some other team's system gets a phone call and he looks at his girlfriend, and says "Baltimore?"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I appreciate your handicapping some of the players: when I compared the stuff of the rule five guys, I thought Wells appeared to have a higher ceiling than Sceroler, and was curious why it appeared to be the other way around.

I hope that you will continue to share your thoughts about which guys are doing better or worse, it’s way too early to make definite conclusions, but certainly not too early to suggest that a guy is helping or hindering his chances.

My own feeling is that every guy who has an option is going down, and the guys not on the roster will only be added if they are really contributing.

And Sulser and Goudeau are on the DFA hot seat.

I'll do my best to keep everyone informed as well as my thoughts. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• Tony-OH pinned and featured this topic

3/3 Notes

Wade LeBlanc (NRI) - Pitched two shutout innings, allowing just a walk while striking out two.
Hunter Harvey - Walked the first batter he faced that set them down including inducing an inning ending 5-4-3 DP. Reportedly hit 98 MPH so velocity is fine.
Dillon Tate - Allowed a solo home run that was a bit wind blown to right, struck out one over his inning of work.
Fernando Abad - Allowed a hit, but struck two in a scoreless inning of work.
Ryan Mountcastle - 0-for-3 and still hitless this spring.
Austin Hays - 2-for-3 with a long two-run home run. Off to a hot start.
DJ Stewart - Two games in and two homers. Hit a solo shot to RF. Went 1-for-3 with a K overall.
Adley Rutschman - Started at DH going 1-for-4 with 2 Ks.
Jamai Jones - Got on base in all three of his PAs, going 2-for-2 with a walk.
Austin Wynns - Went 1-for-2 with a double that just missed being a home run.
Ashton Goudeau - Pitched the last two innings of the game allowing just one hit and earning the "save".

22 hours ago, Philip said:

Tony would you say that Tyler Wells’ stock is up, or too soon to tell? Lopez too, seems to do well so far.

Im thinking Sceroler, Felix and Harvey are stock down but too soon to tell?

It's a little early for anyone's stock to be too up or down IMHO. Obviously players want to do well and players who are battling for a roster spot need to have good results, so yes, the guys you mentioned as having stock go down have not pitched well.

Hernandez is a the guy that probably saw his stock drop the most by pitching in the mid-80s. Not sure he has the secondaries, command and trick pitch to get away with that in the AL East. 

Well's velocity has been pretty good and overall I like him. Still not sure if he has enough promise to keep him as a Rule 5 guy for the season, but a few good outings and he could be in that conversation.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Orioles made there first cuts, none were surprises. 

Brett Cumberland, infielder Mason McCoy, right-hander Marcos Diplán and left-handers Josh Rogers and Zach Muckenhirn were sent to the minor league camp in Twin Lakes.

Is Cumberland a real prospect or just filler? If he isn’t, do we have any real C prospects besides AR?

43 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is Cumberland a real prospect or just filler? If he isn’t, do we have any real C prospects besides AR?

Cumberland is organizational guy for me who could come up and fill in as a backup catcher for a little bit in a pinch. He doesn't hit enough or play defense well enough to be a regular backup in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1